questions on viewing stuff

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 18, 2016 1:17 pm
I'm running an Urban Shadows game, so we're using the Custom Character sheet. I made a template that I posted in a thread, then made a sample character and added it to the game so players could see how to format it.

They tell me that they can't view the link. Is the default for the site that players cannot view the character sheets of other players in the same game? I added it to the library, and in the short term, I could copy and paste it into a thread, but is there a way to let the players just view the character sheet from the Game Details page instead of hunting through the library?

Also, as our char gen goes on, the number of posts in the char gen thread is racking up. You scroll through all the posts to get to new ones. Is there a certain number of posts before the thread starts a new page? Does a thread not start new pages? Is that something you can set up?

Is there any way to make the character's avatar show when you are viewing the character sheet?

A consistency error: on the Character drop down, the option is called "all characters" but the actual screen is titled "My Characters."

Finally, a little coding quirk I noticed: if you click on the Characters tab at the top of the screen to call up the drop down, then change you mind and click the Games tab, the new drop down partially covers up the old one instead of the old one going away. Vice versa is also true (Games first, Characters second). Oh, and same with Tools. Not really a problem. Just something I noticed.
Last edited August 18, 2016 1:40 pm
Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm
A character sheet has to be made public and added to the Library. If you look at your My Characters page, the 3rd icon that looks like a book should be colored red. By default, new characters are private with that icon greyed out.

Threads do start new pages. I'm assuming you haven't hit the limit yet, which I think is 20 posts.
Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm
Cool, thanks. I added it to the library (edited post above). Once it's added, can players view it from the Game Details page?

Or, for the sake of convenience, is there a way to filter the library to just the characters in a specific game (particularly, our game?). Even filtered by system, it's a lot to browse through when all you care about are a handful of characters.
Last edited August 18, 2016 1:45 pm
Aug 18, 2016 1:38 pm
Right now, no, the library isn't used much so I haven't done much dev there; I'll get to it. You can always link them the character directly if it's public.
Aug 18, 2016 1:46 pm
Taej says:
Once it's added, an players view it from the Game Details page?
Yes. You can also provide the URL in a post, or if you post as that character, players can click on the name or avatar.
Aug 18, 2016 1:47 pm
To clarify, I can follow the PCs links because I'm the GM and need to approve the sheets. The players can see the links but they can't follow them, even if the sheet is public, but they can view public sheets in the library. Yes?
Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm
If the character sheet is public, your players (and anyone else for that matter) can see it. For example, I'm going to link one of my characters here; you should be able to click on that URL and see it.
Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm
If a user doesn't have permission to a character, they won't see it as a link, just the label. If they have permission, it will be a clickable link. So if the character is in a game and they have permission to view it, because it's public or their own character, they'll see a link they can click.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.