(Discussion) Your Personal Holy Grail

Sep 29, 2023 12:02 am
I've been munching this question the whole day and I think the appropriate way is asking through here. In terms of game design, what's your personal Holy Grail? Of course I'm talking about ttrpg here, but you can mention other kinds of game too.

Personally, I think mine is a Crafting System that's open ended, balanced but rewarding, and doesn't rely entirely on Director's Fiat.

Another one is Pet Builds. Especially, pet builds that feel satisfying, useful and that don't give me a case of Ludonarrative Dissonance when I actually put them into play.
Sep 29, 2023 12:49 am
A fantasy game structurally similar to D&D 5e, but where you always have choices of what new stuff you get when you level, where class abilities are not linked to any kind of "x times per rest" resource, and where the magic system has a list of discreet spells, but is otherwise completely non-Vancian. D&D 4e was actually in this neighborhood, but it had too many other issues.
Sep 29, 2023 1:08 am
timplausible says:
A fantasy game structurally similar to D&D 5e, but where you always have choices of what new stuff you get when you level, where class abilities are not linked to any kind of "x times per rest" resource, and where the magic system has a list of discreet spells, but is otherwise completely non-Vancian. D&D 4e was actually in this neighborhood, but it had too many other issues.
Hmm, you might want to check my design post about Miracle, though i can't deliver fully on the "limited resource" department for several reasons.

What other issues are you talking about? Just to take notes.
Last edited September 29, 2023 1:09 am
Sep 29, 2023 2:29 am
timplausible says:
Sounds like a mix of 13th Age and DCC.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.