Gauging interest for a Fallout FATE/FAE game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 21, 2016 10:43 pm
Just like is says in the title.

Party is a Brotherhood of Steel unit on a mission in the far reaches of Alaska. Story will involve supernatural horror, so if you don't want non-Euclidian tentacles in your Fallout, then this might not be for you.

Skills/Approaches will be tweaked to fit the Fallout theme: Fallout skills or SPECIAL, as appropriate.
Aug 22, 2016 11:47 am
Might be interested in FATE, but not FAE. I don't know much about the setting, however, how much is it a problem? Of course, I can look into it on wikia.
Aug 23, 2016 12:01 pm
Lack of setting knowledge isn't a deal-breaker, since we'll be way out in the Alaskan Wilderness, far from anything in the games. I can give you a brief rundown.

The BoS is an organization with roots in the American military. They have a self-appointed mission to preserve technology in order to save the legacy of the pre-War world and keep weapons out of the wrong hands. Its founder discovered (and destroyed) the unethical bioweapon experiments occurring in his military base and declared that he and his soldiers were deserting. This was a couple days before the bombs dropped, so no one really seemed to notice.

The BoS can be split into three groups: Western, Midwest, and Eastern. The Western Brotherhood, of which the PCs are members, is on the decline over the course of the series, but this game will be set while they are still powerful.

The Brotherhood can be kinda assholes. They'll save a village from mutant attack and then take that village's atomic power generator at gunpoint.
Aug 23, 2016 4:31 pm
Diamond_Rhombus says:
The Brotherhood can be kinda assholes. They'll save a village from mutant attack and then take that village's atomic power generator at gunpoint.
That depends on the motivation behind it, I think. If they actually do it to keep a dangerous thing out of unskilled hands, but help in return with setting up another power source, that's cool for me. If they just grab things under the pretense of keeping them out of unskilled hands, they're really assholes. I suppose 'reality' falls somewhere between the two?
Aug 23, 2016 10:16 pm
Depends on the region. Western Brotherhood would take the generator and screw off. Midwest would probably destroy the village and/or pressgang all the villagers into soldiers. Eastern from 3 would probably leave them be, and even help them maintain it if the area was strategically valuable. Eastern from 4 might take it or demand tribute for letting them keep it.

In many ways, the (non-Eastern) Brotherhood are sneering imperialists who look down on everyone's ignorance without doing anything to change it. Plenty are good people, but that's the general stance of the organization.

One of the ideas/themes of this game is the idea of tearing down the ego, of self-righteousness and self-aggrandizement clashing with the reality of danger that they are not prepared for. Like Aliens, or Heart of Darkness.
Aug 29, 2016 1:41 am
This game sounds very interesting, though I haven't played any of either FATE nor FAE.
Aug 29, 2016 4:51 am
DrekRok says:
This game sounds very interesting, though I haven't played any of either FATE nor FAE.
Absolutely not a problem! Both are straightforward systems with nearly infinite flexibility; very good systems to learn.
Aug 30, 2016 12:28 am
Well, I've gauged interest and it seems like there is some! An offical game pitch will be posted in a couple days once I get back to a computer. That might draw some lurkers out of the woodwork as well.
Aug 30, 2016 12:28 am
EDIT: DOUBLE POST

EDIT EDIT: Hell, I'll just do it right now.
Last edited August 30, 2016 12:43 am
Aug 30, 2016 12:45 am
Qralloq says:
Lurk, lurk
Hey, look at that!
Aug 30, 2016 7:55 am
This is gonna be fun. I actually live in Alaska and a big fan of fallout so I think I'll be right at home with this.
Aug 30, 2016 2:27 pm
Coincidentally, this article from G&S may be of value: 5 Ways To Get Your Fallout Tabletop RPG Geek On
Sep 2, 2016 12:53 am
Sick. I've read about the story behind Exodus and actually played a bunch of Savage Fallout, but I kinda want to check out Morrow and Retrocalypse too.

For audiences following at home, we've got one space left open!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.