Golden Compass / Pokemon Themed Game.

Oct 16, 2023 11:54 pm
This is a concept I have been trying to figure out for a while.
The players are all Casters. Sorcerers, Bard, Warlock, Druid, Cleric. (I don't think Wizards would work due to spellbook)
We split all of the characters features among the player and their Familiar.

Character gets all Proficiencies. Weapons, Armor, Languages, Tools, Darkvision, ect

Familiar gets all Spellcasting and class features.

Hit Points are shared between the Character and Familiar. If either of them Die they both Die.

The idea is the player has to Flavor all of the Familiar's Spells sort of like a Pokemon's abilities.
Firebolt is like Ember. Shocking Grasp like Spark. ect.
As the Character Levels up their Familiar can change appearance also. Evolving as the game progresses.

I am just struggling on the theme or idea to base the campaign on. Every NPC would have a Familiar also.
Oct 17, 2023 12:47 am
I think you are on good track, just struggling on why do you think you don't have a theme when obviously you have. I recommend watching some of the animes that touch on these themes (at least a superficial watch should suffice) if you struggle to build a campaign. As far as I know, Digimon Lore and themes are more complex and mature, if you are willing to go that route.

And don't forget to invite me.
Oct 17, 2023 3:44 am
Yeah. This is a good idea. Very cool.
Mar 6, 2024 2:51 am
Awaken post.

Reading this, have you thought about a less drastic change of just making the trainers the familiar?

Only help actions. Movement and object interactions. Give a point buy system for the familiar stats.

The pokemon/beasts are the full character classes. Could be any class. Give them species based abilities like "All bludgeoning, slashing, piercing damage can be changed to fire damage" per need.

Evolutions happen at proficiency bonus upgrades (3 and 4).

Maybe give familiar the ability to do special things like help action at 30ft, hand out bardic inspiration, cast healing word. Etc.

Maybe weapons get flavored as different "moves" you can do and armor/shields similar natural armor type uses

You do not have permission to post in this thread.