[Kids on brooms] Portals of the Arcane

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedKids on BroomsPrivate5 / weekrunekyndig
The adventure takes place at the renowned Astoria Academy of Arcane Arts, a prestigious magic school where young wizards and witches come to master the mystical arts. The school is a sprawling castle with countless towers, secret passages, and hidden chambers, surrounded by a vast enchanted forest. Mysterious occurrences have been taking place at the academy, and it's up to the players, who are students at the school, to unravel the mysteries and restore peace.

This game AI assisted by ChatGPT and Midjourny

Oct 21, 2023 2:18 pm
I asked ChatGPT to design a roleplay adventure for 4-6 players with mystery, portals to other worlds and a little combat. It all takes place in a magic school and the players are students

And it returned a setting, a few characters and 5 story acts.
ChatGPT says:
Setting:
The adventure takes place at the renowned Astoria Academy of Arcane Arts, a prestigious magic school where young wizards and witches come to master the mystical arts. The school is a sprawling castle with countless towers, secret passages, and hidden chambers, surrounded by a vast enchanted forest. Mysterious occurrences have been taking place at the academy, and it's up to the players, who are students at the school, to unravel the mysteries and restore peace.

Characters:
The Headmistress - A wise and powerful sorceress who seeks the players' help to investigate the strange events.
Professor Thaddeus - A charismatic and knowledgeable magic teacher who assists the players throughout their adventure.
Rynard - A mischievous magical creature who serves as the players' guide in the enchanted forest.
A rival group of students - Competing students who may aid or hinder the players' progress.

Plot:
Act 1: The Mysterious Occurrences
You really didn't think I would post that, did you? [runekyndig]
I then asked Midjourny to make me an image of the school.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1154441658402881587/1165281607352078388/warming_school_is_a_sprawling_castle_with_countless_towers_secr_5caa33ff-8a10-41e6-87ba-f49577260775.png?ex=65464811&is=6533d311&hm=42f5d6c9b29407dd6ae9838fbbd4ee41b2e2ccae8695779329e7bc7b3fcc4cbf&

For this adventure, I will be leaning heavily on AI to make descriptions, images and events, so my task as a GM will be responding to player input and moderating the AI output.

We will still go through the motions with player input to the setting, NPC, school type ect as pr Kids on Brooms. But the AI will provide the initial suggestion. For example, the school name is Astoria Academy of Arcane Arts or the 4A's, but if a player has a better idea we will run with that.
[ +- ] Collaborative creation from the book
Adult Content or Controversial Themes
You would play a student 15 to 20 years old. This is a magical high school with all the drama and shenanigans this entails. Boys with invisibility potions that sneaks into the girl's locker room to sneak a peak, that kind of thing.
There will be lines and wails for more X-rated stuff. This is not Hogwarts gone wild!
NB: This means the forum will not be public

Character creation:
Use kids on brooms rules for upper-class students

Specialized Software and Resources:
I have the profiles on ChatGPT and Midjourny and I have a PDF version of Kids on brooms book, so we are covered on that front.

Posting frequency:
5 posts pr week (the week includes weekends)

Welcome Marginalized Groups:
Everybody is welcome at this AI table :)

How to Apply:
I'll leave this post open for the next week. Next saturday I will invite 4 players who have show interest here. Do know that if you have made a suggestion of what kind of character you would like to play, the odds will be in your favor over the player that just said "im interested"
Last edited October 22, 2023 7:05 am
Oct 21, 2023 2:27 pm
I'm definitely interested..... How's that for increasing my odds? Lol

Really though, I wanted to express interest now. I'll think up a character concept and update my post with it.
Oct 21, 2023 2:30 pm
This sounds pretty interesting, but I don't think I can responsibly join another game right now. I wish you fun with it, though!
Oct 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Yes, I am interested a lot.

Just browsing through the book without having fully read the mechanics yet, I think the Reluctant Oracle could be great fun.
She's a younger grade 15-ish student I guess, who gets weird visions of the future. But most of them are on the scale of "watch it, you're gonna spill your tea!". They are true alright, but they are rarely useful.

But I am open to play other things too.
Oct 21, 2023 4:00 pm
At first glance, I like the idea of playing the Perfect Prefect. He or she would be 18 years old or so. I might have ChatGPT suggest the character ideas! Having grown up in Ireland, I have first-hand experience of mundane school prefects which could help inform the character.
Oct 21, 2023 5:12 pm
I'm very interested! I am thinking of playing a Hermione-inspired Withdrawn Bookworm 16-year-old girl.
Oct 21, 2023 5:41 pm
I would to join!
I have never player Kids on Bikes /Kids on Brooms.
I joined a game before but it didn't go anywhere.
I would need to read the rules and figure out who to make.
Looking over the PDF I am thinking.
FUNNY KLUTZ or WACKY PRANKSTER

I will generate some basic info on a few character ideas.
FUNNY KLUTZ
Luna Tripplewand
Luna is a scatterbrained witch-in-training who often confuses her spells, causing comical mishaps. She's known for accidentally turning classmates into funny animals or conjuring strange objects when she meant to do something else.

Dottie Fumblefoot (I like this one)
Dottie is a lovable klutz who is constantly tripping over her own broomstick and mixing up potions ingredients. Her unintentional clumsiness always leads to laughter and adventures as her friends help her clean up the magical messes she creates.

Misty Blunderspell
Misty has a penchant for mispronouncing incantations, leading to hilarious magical mishaps. She's the one who accidentally changes the cafeteria food into jello when trying to simply spice it up a bit.

Bella Clatterwings
Bella is a good-natured witch with an unfortunate tendency to drop things. Her charm lies in her ability to create laughter out of even the most embarrassing situations, like when she spills a potion in the middle of a class.

Penny Wobblewitch
Penny is a bubbly and enthusiastic witch who has an uncanny knack for stumbling into unusual situations. Her infectious laughter and lighthearted attitude make her a favorite among her friends, even when her antics create magical chaos.

WACKY PRANKSTER
Max Pranksterly
Max is the ultimate prankster, always armed with a bag of tricks and a mischievous grin. He loves to set up elaborate pranks on teachers and classmates but manages to make them all good-natured fun. His creativity knows no bounds when it comes to practical jokes.

Finn Gigglewood
Finn has a contagious laugh and a knack for turning ordinary situations into uproarious comedy. He's the master of slapstick humor and is known for his ability to make even the sternest adults crack a smile with his antics.

Oliver Whimsywind
Oliver is the class clown, always ready with a quick one-liner or a clever pun. He carries around a whoopee cushion, and his spells often involve turning things into comically oversized versions of themselves.

Jasper Jesterbrook
Jasper is a talented mimic who can impersonate anyone, including teachers and fellow students. He uses his impersonation skills to create hilarious situations and bring laughter to his magical school, even if it sometimes gets him into trouble.

Benny Gagglefeather (I like this one)
Benny is the inventor of whimsical magical gadgets and contraptions, from prankster wands that squirt water to self-untying shoelaces. He's always working on the next big prank and has a workshop full of comical creations.
Last edited October 21, 2023 10:54 pm
Oct 21, 2023 5:45 pm
Here she is. If it's not ok to use AI for this, let me know and I'll design her myself.
[ +- ] Seraphina Everhart
Oct 22, 2023 5:06 pm
I joined a brooms game that didn't last long enough for me to really play my character. Id love to play again
Concept was that he has a twin sibling that vanished their 3rd year at another school and he has just transferred in. Everyone insists to him that said sibling never existed.
He is plagued by Visions

I don't remember what type etc I picked but can easily fix that.
Last edited October 22, 2023 5:06 pm
Oct 24, 2023 7:45 am
There is a lot of interest. How delightfull :)
Quote:
How to Apply:
I'll leave this post open for the next week. Next saturday I will invite 4 players who have show interest here. Do know that if you have made a suggestion of what kind of character you would like to play, the odds will be in your favor over the player that just said "im interested"
I'll start to invite people tomorrow
Oct 24, 2023 10:02 am
It looks like there's plenty of interest and I'm not quite as motivated as I thought I'd be so I'm going to withdraw myself from the running.

This does seem like an interesting game though, I wish you all happy gaming.
Jan 9, 2024 8:07 pm
I'm looking for an extra player, if anyone is interested
Jan 9, 2024 8:09 pm
I'm definitely interested. How far along in the game/worldbuilding are you?
Jan 9, 2024 8:43 pm
The world is built and they are students of Avalon Academy of Arcane Arts. 4A's for short. But there is plenty of room for improvisation and imagination.

Act 0 Just off the boat:
Characters were introduced to the school and some NPC's. The Mystwood games were introduced, a capture the flag kind of game in the woods, and a chance to win one of the school banners were introduced.

Act 1: The Mysterious Occurrences
The students study in the library, where all of a sudden fury beasts appear through a portal and cause trouble and mayheim. Afterwards, they are debriefed by the headmaster who reveals that someone is causing trouble at the school, and the headmaster begines to teach them how to recognise the troublemaker's magical signature.
The students decide to participate in the Mystwood games and head into the forest

Act 2: The Enchanted Forest
We have slowly added more and more of the rules into play and as they partake in the first two Mystwood challenges and we touched on the combat rules with one student now having a broken arm.
They need to find one more ring/token/flag and then return the the castle to win the Mystwood game, but now a portal has appeared again. That is where we are in the story
There are another team of students, their opponents, out in the forest, so a new player could be coming from there. Alternatively, it can be a student who has been stuck on the other side of that portal for some time now.

We are about halfway through the adventure that ChatGPT have outlined for me.

Note
We have laxed the typical PG-13 censorship, and the rule of thumb is if it can be shown in an American movie then it's allowed. So far it has extended to some nudity, as the headmaster is modelling for naked drawings (the saw some drawings), and one of the players had a revealing spell backfire and saw everything without its top layer. Bark on trees became invisible, and so did the clothes of her friends.
Last edited January 9, 2024 8:49 pm
Jan 10, 2024 1:12 am
I'd also be interested if there is an opening. No pressure if crazybirdman gets the only spot though.
Jan 10, 2024 9:11 pm
I'd better sit this one out. I'd be pushing the upper limit of how many games I can play in if I joined.
Jan 11, 2024 4:35 am
crazybirdman says:
I'd better sit this one out. I'd be pushing the upper limit of how many games I can play in if I joined.
No worries friend
pixelated_pixie_princess says:
I'd also be interested if there is an opening. No pressure if crazybirdman gets the only spot though.
There is also the possibility we close the game all together, but we will figure that one out by the weekend. I'll let you know either way

You do not have permission to post in this thread.