D&D5 Caer Tan and the Pale Deva

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 24, 2016 6:52 am
The Game
Caer Tan and the Pale Deva

The Setting
For hundreds of years, the world of Valladhel has been under the tyrannical regime of chromatic dragons and dragonkin. An ancient red dragon, the Avatar of Tiamat, has unified the other evil dragons and destroyed many of his metallic kin. This unfathomable power has shaped the realm into the Empire of Caer Tan.

Under Caer Tan's rule, other evil creatures have joined the draconic forces. Orcs and hobgoblins intermingle with humans and elves, and even the citizens of the Underdark enjoy community with surface creatures. Draconic officials maintain order through a highly-visible military, and the Church of Tiamat ensures a compliant citizenry.

Yet there is hope. A loosely-organized network of resistance cells known as the Pale Deva has risen from the ashes. Working in secret, agents of the Pale seek to overthrow the tyranny of Caer Tan, while avoiding the ruthless gaze and insidious machinations of chromatic dragonkind.

The players comprise one operative cell, assisted by a handler that provides intelligence on enemy activities and relays orders when they are received.

The Player-Characters
* No evil-aligned characters
* Characters start at level 1.
* Generate attributes as 2d4+10, or take standard array with a free feat (yes, that'd mean Variant Human could start with two feats).
* Allowing official material published by Wizards, preferably available via PDF so that I may have a reference.
* All races allowed, but for one exception: NO DRAGONBORN.
* Other questions about character generation, just ask.
Aug 24, 2016 7:28 am
Damn, wanna play! But I mustn't!
Aug 24, 2016 1:19 pm
It's been a while since I've joined a new game. I'm in. :)
Aug 24, 2016 1:44 pm
I am quite interested, and already getting a character idea. Applying.
Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm
I'm definitely up for this.
Aug 24, 2016 3:41 pm
I applied because it sounds amazing, but please take anyone else over me if they want in (I don't want to hog all the games). Only use me if you need someone to round out the party
Aug 24, 2016 5:19 pm
So very tempted, but alas -- I think I'm full up right now.
Aug 24, 2016 10:09 pm
Can I ask questions about setting details here, or do we want to save that for the actual game threads?
Aug 24, 2016 10:51 pm
You may certainly ask, and I will answer what I can.
Aug 24, 2016 11:05 pm
I decided to roll stats with the listed method just to test it:
16/15/15/14/17/15

Is it intended to make super-characters? (average of 2d4+10 is 15 / Minimum of 12 / Maximum of 18)
Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm
Yes, plus adding racial bonuses or anything else allowed by the rules.
Last edited August 24, 2016 11:08 pm
Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm
CancerMan says:
Yes.
Just making sure :)
Aug 25, 2016 12:01 am
I had two questions for now:
-ANSWERED by rereading OP
-What is the state of faith in the Empire? Tiamat/dragon worship is obviously the state church, but what about others? Is worship of other gods banned entirely? Is it allowed to mollify the populace, but heavily censored and regulated by the state?
Last edited August 25, 2016 12:01 am
Aug 25, 2016 12:11 am
Diamond_Rhombus says:
I had two questions for now:
-Is Caer Tan the name of the semi-divine founder of the empire? Is he still alive? Probably, since he's a god-powered dragon and its only been a few centuries.
-What is the state of faith in the Empire? Tiamat/dragon worship is obviously the state church, but what about others? Is worship of other gods banned entirely? Is it allowed to mollify the populace, but heavily censored and regulated by the state?
Caer Tan is the name of a region where the chromatic dragonborn originated from, and existed since the beginning. Its rise to become the dominant power is what culminated several centuries ago.

There are other faiths, but none have any real political power or organization besides being a familiar name, and public worship seems to have included new teachings and revelations that have been gradually worked into the tenets and dogma. Game-wise, clerics and other divine-based spellcasters would see no change in their abilities.
Aug 25, 2016 12:36 am
CancerMan says:
There are other faiths, but none have any real political power or organization besides being a familiar name, and public worship seems to have included new teachings and revelations that have been gradually worked into the tenets and dogma. Game-wise, clerics and other divine-based spellcasters would see no change in their abilities.
I assume these revelations involve dragons being just totally the best, you guys, and you should totally obey them. Thus speaketh Pelor.

Would it be alright to PM you a character background for approval, or would that be jumping the gun?
Aug 25, 2016 12:43 am
I haven't begun accepting applications yet, and I have not decided on any criteria or qualifications for acceptance. Maybe I'll roll a die, maybe I'll select names based on what the gum I step on tomorrow says. So while you're certainly free to come up with a character concept, it might be a bit premature if you're totally set on playing this game, because I don't know who I'll accept and who I won't at this time.
Aug 25, 2016 1:45 am
Totes fair. I'll just sacrifice a goat and burn some incense to gain the favor of the spirits.
Aug 25, 2016 6:07 am
I love the concept of the world. Whether or not I make it in, best of luck on this fascinating world
Aug 26, 2016 5:04 pm
FYI, I'll be going over the applications through the weekend.
Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm
This sounds great! I just had a game thread end today, so I'll send in an application.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.