Almost 10 years of GP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 18, 2023 5:30 pm
Hey folks. So in about 2 weeks, we'll be hitting the 10 year anniversary of Gamer's Plane! It's a big milestone, and I admit I haven't really thought of anything momentous to do. So at the last, I can run a giveaway. Given the nature of the site, and to keep costs down, I'm thinking it'll be digital stuff? Gift cards would be included to allow folks to get some physical content, if they win.

So, what sort of sites would you recommend we do prizes from? I can't promise I'll use the site/company you recommend, but I can at least add it to a list to consider.

Also, any thoughts of stuff we should do for the big one-oh?
Nov 18, 2023 5:50 pm
Congratulations on hitting the 10-year milestone!

I think DriveThruRPG would be a great site to offer a general all-purpose gift card. But if you're looking for a specific company, Free League seems like a good choice.
Nov 18, 2023 7:14 pm
Congratulations to GP and you Keleth! 🎉🎊

DrieThruRPG is a great idea for gift cards.
Nov 18, 2023 7:21 pm
amazing milestone!

Maybe a community thread on our memorable Gamersplane moments, as players, as GMs - or simply as users?
Or split the threads: most memorable in-game, and most memorable off-game moments.

A showcase of Precious Gems: show us that rare/significant/ubercool RPG item you own, the pride of your collection. Can be the most common game ever, but of special significance to someone.

10 Years, 10 Playlists: for 10 days, users add songs to a common playlist, with an daily-changing, broadly game-inspired theme (idk... one day: 'fumbles', another: 'taverns and inns'...)

Tart up your avatar! in which we add festive overlays/details to our usual ones, for an agreed period of time.

A (voluntary) secret Santa-type thing? Send something nice to a fellow Planer.

(Digital giveaways seem ideal, due to the widespread distribution of Gamersplaners around the globe.)
Nov 18, 2023 10:37 pm
Truly impressive!

As has been discussed, I am not one for code but would some sort of festive overlay be viable? I feel like a decade would warrant it.

I like the DriveThruRPG suggestion. It's a great platform for some sort of give away, and fits the nature of GP perfectly (as in, digital).

Perhaps you could contact their admin and see if they can run a promotion of sorts? A code for 10% off or something, that way even if we don't win the give away we can still "celebrate" so to speak? I dunno, I don't know how receptive they'd be to the idea but it crossed my mind so I figured it was worth mentioning.
Nov 19, 2023 12:24 am
DrivethruRPG makes sense to me. Humble Bundle makes some sense, given its near-constant presentation of RPG bundles.

Bundle of Holding and itch.io would make sense to me, too - I get a lot of my RPG materials from both - but I have no idea if either of them even have any sort of gift card/credit mechanism.

I suppose there's also general gift cards that people could use for merchandise of their choosing: Amazon, Target, etc.

Most everything else that I can think of is potentially of too specialized interest. Hero Forge: what if you don't use minis? Chessex or Gamescience: what if you don't want any more physical dice? Commissions from small artists: what if you don't use portraits, maps, and/or music in your games?
Last edited November 19, 2023 12:24 am
Nov 19, 2023 2:22 am
Fifthing the call for DriveThruRPG. My list on that site is miles long!
Nov 19, 2023 2:27 am
I also think drivethrurpg and humblebundle are good choices.

KCC

Nov 19, 2023 2:31 am
Thanks for doing this, Keleth!

DriveThru seems like the easiest, most widely-applicable option. Maybe it’s easier to make it winner’s choice if we are going to get into maybe less widely used sites?

Saying that, Amazon is usually the only game in town when it comes to getting RPGs to my part of the world.
Nov 19, 2023 3:00 am
Amazing work and stick-to-it-ness, Keleth!

I'm on the opposite end of the gift-giving. We should give *you* the DTRPG gift card!
Nov 19, 2023 3:05 am
Harrigan says:

I'm on the opposite end of the gift-giving. We should give *you* the DTRPG gift card!
This!
Nov 19, 2023 4:04 am
Both Humble Bundle and Bundle of Holding accept payment using Amazon, making Amazon a reasonable option for general RPG related stuff, right behind DriveThru.
Nov 19, 2023 9:45 am
Congratulations, Keleth! Only been here for 3 years now, but this community is amazing! :-)
Nov 19, 2023 12:38 pm
You've built quite a place over the decade, Keleth! Congrats!
Nov 19, 2023 2:18 pm
Congrats Keleth, you’ve built something truly amazing!
Nov 19, 2023 4:10 pm
An amazing achievement, Keleth!! This community really warms my heart 😊.

<3
Last edited November 19, 2023 4:11 pm
Nov 19, 2023 4:31 pm
Congratulations 🎉 And not just to Keleth, who started the whole thing! Also to the moderators and those in the community who have hacked nice things into the site (and there's rumors some might have even properly coded!). They actually spend their time on GP not just playing but also making sure it is the best it can be.
Nov 19, 2023 5:00 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Harrigan says:

This!
Thank you so much Keleth, moderators, and everyone on GP. You have brought much joy to my life since I've joined!
Last edited November 19, 2023 5:01 pm
Nov 19, 2023 7:04 pm
Indeed. Special call-out to Adam, too!
Nov 19, 2023 7:09 pm
I'm down for some graphical changes to mark the 10 year anniversary. Unfortunately, I am not good at graphics. Anyone more visually inclined who wants to help or throw out ideas?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.