Gamers Plane Secret Santa, interest check

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 21, 2023 2:46 am
The mods and I have been throwing around the idea of a GP Secret Santa, and I wanted to see if people would be interested. The initial idea, given how spread people are around the world, would be a digital Secret Santa, but the only concern is it'd basically be a DTRPG gift card exchange. I participate in the Imgur Secret Santa, but that's physical stuff people ship to each other (including overseas).

Would people be interested? Does it seem like a silly idea, and maybe we do some sort of holiday appreciation thing instead? Would we want to try a physical one (if so, I think we'd follow Imgur's mechanism, have backup senders, and if you don't send your gift, you are blocked from future ones, with probably a cooldown of some sort). Share your thoughts.

Gamers' Plane of Giving?
Nov 21, 2023 2:53 am
I don't think that it has to be a gift card exchange. I think that you can purchase specific items for other people on DTRPG and it might be fun to see what others enjoy. I just checked and yes, you can send items as a gift. I'd be down for this if only to score some new and interesting material that IM might otherwise never get for myself.
Nov 21, 2023 7:47 am
🎵 On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
A PDF from DriveThruRPG! 🎵

I think this is a fun idea :)

Is there any way to check if they already have it, though? I know some people on GP have hundreds of books already. Or is that just a risk we'll have to take?
Nov 21, 2023 8:36 am
I think it's a fun idea and I'd be happy to participate!
Nov 21, 2023 11:48 am
This is a really neat idea!

One thing is this: those of us that do anything through DriveThruRPG should use the GP affiliate link to do so.
Nov 21, 2023 2:57 pm
TheGenerator says:
Is there any way to check if they already have it, though? I know some people on GP have hundreds of books already. Or is that just a risk we'll have to take?
::raises hand sheepishly::
Nov 21, 2023 3:07 pm
I've done some secret Santa-ing myself in the past. I picked stuff that I thought the recipient might enjoy, which imo is part of the fun of doing secret Santa.
Nov 21, 2023 5:18 pm
I like the idea in general.

One Secret Santa that I participated in a few years ago was an art exchange: every participant described a PC of theirs, and then the Secret Santa depicted or procured a depiction of that character. It was a LOT of fun. It's maybe not as wide an appeal as a more general gift exchange, but I find the idea of proudly displaying someone's artwork as the character portrait on GP very appealing.
Nov 21, 2023 5:33 pm
If digital would be interested. Physical don't want to lump anyone with the large shipping costs :p
Nov 21, 2023 6:16 pm
I'd be up for it - controversial idea: maybe it doesn't have to be game related? I mean, it doesn't have to be a game.
Last edited November 21, 2023 6:17 pm
Nov 21, 2023 6:18 pm
I'm definitely up for it whichever way it goes.

Len

Nov 21, 2023 6:50 pm
This sounds like fun :) I would like to join, however it goes.

A generic drivethrurpg gift card would be the most flexible, but it doesn't feel as personal. Like, if I give a $x gift card and get an $x gift card, then I have effectively given myself an $x gift card :D If you get something you already own, maybe we could have a thread where we 'swap' pdfs? But, if we do gift cards, that's totally fine.
witchdoctor says:
One thing is this: those of us that do anything through DriveThruRPG should use the GP affiliate link to do so.
Yeah, that is smart! I need to remember to use these more often!

Also, we should introduce HARDCORE MODE: If you get a game or module, you have to run it on GP :D :D :D
Nov 21, 2023 6:54 pm
Len says:
Also, we should introduce HARDCORE MODE: If you get a game or module, you have to run it on GP :D :D :D
🤔
Nov 21, 2023 7:25 pm
Len says:
we should introduce HARDCORE MODE: If you get a game or module, you have to run it on GP :D :D :D
Your PC takes physical damage if you don’t post at least once every hour.
Nov 21, 2023 9:11 pm
As someone who has (literally) hundreds of PDFs from DTRPG, I'm still all for letting everyone determine what their recipient gets, rather than a generic gift card (which would essentially be me giving myself a gift card). I like the mystery and seeing what other people enjoy and even if it is something I already have, at least someone thought enough of me to get me something and put some thought into it.
Nov 21, 2023 9:37 pm
WhtKnt says:
As someone who has (literally) hundreds of PDFs from DTRPG, I'm still all for letting everyone determine what their recipient gets, rather than a generic gift card (which would essentially be me giving myself a gift card). I like the mystery and seeing what other people enjoy and even if it is something I already have, at least someone thought enough of me to get me something and put some thought into it.
I agree. Isn't it the case that Secret Santa usually involves a maximum cost (ie, "no more than $10"), but the actual gift is up to the individual? That way it could be a gift card, but it could be a game, an adventure, a piece of art, a book, music, or whatever else. I think most of us have at least one obscure indie game product that we'd love to share, or an aspiring artist that we'd love an excuse to commission.
Nov 21, 2023 10:25 pm
Tbh, I'd be up for it too. I don't know anyone here too well, so it might end up with a gift thats a bit more generic, but nothing wrong with that! :)

KCC

Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm
Is there any way to post anonymously? Maybe someone ought to make a Santa account. People can send tell what they purchased via DM and Santa can list them in a thread. People can grab what they want from the thread!

If everything is around-abouts $10, then nobody will miss out on a blowout item that everyone scrambles for.
Nov 22, 2023 3:56 am
This sounds great! I can finally unload this copy of F.A.T.A.L. onto someone else! But kidding aside, this sounds cool.
Nov 27, 2023 5:14 am
Yes! It would be fun to have a nice pdf in your mailbox (and also send someone one!)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.