What Comes Next (RP)

Nov 21, 2023 5:55 am
Continued from The Sacrifice Camp

Only once things have calmed down a bit do the people give you a moment to yourselves. It is the following morning before you find yourselves seated in a quiet corner with the captain.

"You have done well for yourselves." Bimi says. "I don't feel so bad about my decision to leave you. I have to get back to my job, and the caravan needs me, but there are greater things in your future." She says.

She spills some coins on the table. "Do you notice anything?" She asks probingly.

There are a variety of coins, mainly copper and silver, but also some other materials as used in 'foreign parts', some iron and other metals (no gold), and even some stone coins with detailed and intricate images carved —one assumes— upon them. Your eye might be drawn to some of the designs, and someone flips over one of the coins for a closer look. It is old and worn, the image embossed on it, faded by hands and time, just might be: The Horned-Wolf.

"That's from Necusle." Bimi says. "I have never been there, but I have dealt with caravans from that far off land." It is possible one of you have encountered coins from such places —especially at wayside inns— and you may have heard stories of Necusle, strange and scary stories, of magic and worse.

"I knew I recognised the symbol." Bimi says. "Though, what it is doing on a wall all the way over here, I am not sure." She watches you intently to see how you react. "I believe you may have venture there to get answers before you can properly cleanse that temple. I think they tried to do in before. But I am not sure of any of this.

"I have asked the healer to join us." She says. "I think you need to hear what she has to say before you decide anything." You sit in silence for a while, waiting for healer (unless there is something you talk about). When she arrives she looks uncomfortable.

"I don't like this." The healer says belligerently. "This is none of my business."

"Just tell them what you told me. Please." Bimi says.

"Hmph!" The healer mutters, calling for a draft of beer before she will continue. "Your friend is not your friend." She finally declares. "She seems nice enough. Don't get me wrong. But there is a... mismatch between soul and body. I can feel the healing energies getting... lost and confused. But I don't do no magic!" She declares this last part adamantly. "And I probably don't know what I am talking about. Thank you for the drink, and the gold, and her other 'friends' have kept me better fed than I am used to, but I am happy to be rid of the lot of you."

She stands, and leaves if you don't stop her for more questions.

What do you do?
Nov 22, 2023 5:42 pm
Roald tries to stop her.
''Wait! I... We would like to express our gratitude for the good care you gave Ahsa. We are all aware that healing is definitely not magic, don't worry. But... I don't understand what you said about the mismatch between soul and body. Is this something we can help with to heal? Should we... Take her with us? Or is she better off here where you can keep an eye on her?''
Nov 22, 2023 8:29 pm
Albert is intrigued by the coin. He picks it up and looks more closely at it. "So this horned wolf is not as obscure as I thought." He remarks. "How do we get to where we can find these types on coins?"

When he hears about Asha's condition, a frown can be seen on his face. "That's... worrying..." As Roald asks for an explanation, he adds "Yes, please tell us more. How can we ... fix her?" Albert looks both curious and concerned.
Nov 23, 2023 3:51 am
"I know the general direction." Bimi says to Albert. "It might be your best bet is to find and sign on with a caravan going there? But that could just be my personal prejudices speaking." She says with a smile. "I could give you a letter of recommendation, it is just possible that it may have some weight if you are lucky enough to find a caravan that knows me. Else you may be able to find better directions as you get closer."
The healer humbly waves away your thanks, she has been well paid, and enjoys her work and appreciates what you have done for the valley.

"I don't know what it means." The healer says defensively. "I am just telling you what I see. I don't claim to understand how such a thing could happen. Maybe retrace your steps and go back to where it happened and see if you can't reverse it?" She shrugs.

"You ain't leaving her with me." The healer says, her tone sounds... scared? disgusted? you can't tell. "My part is done, she has her medicine and she will probably heal up, given time. But she is still weak, and should not travel. Same for you." She says to the captain, who merely shrugs at her. "Other people seem to like her, though. So she may be happy here for a while?"

What do you do?
Nov 24, 2023 8:02 pm
''well, if we are to pursue the origin of the coins before returning to the temple, I don't think it's wise to take ahsa with us. We might be able to pick her up on our way back.

The caravan sounds like a safe idea, we could even make some money....''
Nov 25, 2023 11:56 am
"I agree" Albert says to Roald. "Let's take Bimi's advice and look for a caravan. For that we should probably head back to town."

"We'll ask Asha if she's ok with staying here for now. If people like her, I think it'll be ok."
He looks to the captain. "Which direction are you going? Maybe we can still travel together for a while. Until our roads split."
Nov 25, 2023 12:48 pm
"Yes." Bimi says, a bit uncertainly. "You should talk to her and ask her what she plans." She hesitates a moment, as though thinking about not saying the next part. "Maybe you will get different answers than I did? ... I get the feeling she mostly tells people what they want to hear.

"When I spoke to her she did not seem at all interested in going back home and was strangely dismissive and evasive concerning the idea of seeing her family. The only conversation that I think was truly true was when I talked about us going back to the temple. She was adamant that she would never go back there. That reaction makes sense given her experience, but I got the feeling that maybe there was more to it. Be careful around that subject." Bimi says.

"I am probably going to go home first." (By this, she means your 'home', where you started). "Then follow the caravan's route. This gives me the best chance of finding them.

"Ultimately you need to go in the opposite direction. But you may stand a better chance of finding a caravan in a big city —and I can help directly if I am there with you. There is always the chance that there is no caravan heading that way, and then you have to trek all the way back over here, or find another way. At least if you go that way," she indicates the opposite direction to 'home', "even if you don't find a caravan, you are a little closer. You would still need to get more specific directions as you go."
OOC:
If you go back to town with Bimi you will stand a very good chance of finding a caravan going your way. (Probably one roll?)

If you head off in the 'right' direction you will have to rely on your wits (and RP the whole thing, with probably many rolls), but will already be getting closer to your goal.

When you mention getting paid for the caravan work Bimi looks slightly puzzled —you have openly been throwing around massive amounts of money recently. "Technically you are still owed, what is it? Three days of guard pay from me? Anything after the bandit camp can not come out of company coffers. I don't carry a lot of coin with me, and I think Asha knew better than to take up a collection for me —she pretty much bled the village dry of gold, turning down all other coins, for you guys. I am very pleased that you sent that money back into the community, spread it around a bit. This is all I have." She says, indicating the coins scattered on the table. This is probably more than you would have earned for the days you actually worked for the caravan, and the town has done a rummage and resupplied you with the gear you lost (maybe Theo and Phil had a lot to do with this, since they still feel it might have been their fault your packs went missing).

Your replacement gear is old, but mostly better than what you had before.
OOC:
Pretend you are staring a character and add 60 Silver worth of gear, or ask for custom items not on the lists.[Character Creation Equipment]
Nov 27, 2023 11:08 pm
Albert looks a bit troubled when Bimi mentions that Asha would not go back to the temple. "It might be the only way to get her back to being herself." he says to the others. "But we can deal with that issue when we get to it. Perhaps she'll see reason if we talk to her. For now I think we should focus on this symbol and see if we can find more information about the temple."

Happy with the thought that they'll solve the problem when they get to it, he gives the captain a reassuring smile.

He's however not sure which route to take. "Don't take this the wrong way, Roald. But just the 2 of us on the road sounds dangerous. Even with Raynor keeping an eye out. I'd feel safer going with the captain to look for a caravan. Unless we can find one or two companions for the road. What do you think?"

When Bimi offers them money, Albert cant help but get up and give her a hearty hug. "Really, you are too kind! And I mean that." He looks at the coins, takes 'his' half, picks out a few coins that show the horned wolf and hands the rest back to her. "I was never part of your caravan, captain." He says with a wink and happy to not accept her offer. "I would like to keep these, though. It may guide us forward."
Nov 28, 2023 6:28 am
"Depending on what you find out, you might not get to give her a choice in the matter? I worry about leaving her like this for the time it might take to get answers, but this is beyond me, and answers may be needed before you can know what to do."

The captain does not have much advice on this, but she does mention the option of bringing along some of the locals that proved 'worthy' during you recent adventure. You doubt Phil or Norbert would want to leave at this time, but Theo —who it turns out was travelling in the same direction as the captain, and has offered payment for protection on the road (turns out the mayor did not hire the bodyguards he had when you first met him, he lied to both them and to you to make it seem like his father knew (and approved) of his being out here), if you wanted, you may be able to persuade him to delay his education in favour of some 'travels abroad'. Daryl, and Lady would be thrilled to be invited along, and Limpy —depending on how his belated proposal goes— may be all too keen to get away.
OOC:
The players can choose any NPCs they wish to have accompany them on this next leg. Create or suggest any new NPCs you want as well.
"Ha. I forget that you were not with us from the beginning." Bimi says to Albert. "Yes, please, take that coin. I don't need it, and it may prove useful as a sample." There is only the one coin with the Horned-Wolf symbol, there are a few, similar looking ones with other symbols, and Bimi indicates you should take them as well. "I have spent the past days scouring this village for these, for you. I think the villagers think I am 'that mad old coin lady' ... and they had better be saying 'old-coin lady' and not 'old, coin lady'." She jokes. "I was sure I had seen the symbol somewhere before, but could not be certain it was on a coin. Still don't know what it means."
Nov 28, 2023 7:25 am
Roald ponders for a moment on the information.
'' It's a tough choice Albert, we would loose some time joining the caravan, but we are not really pressed for time, are we? I mean... Asha seems fine for now. I would like some quiet travelling after our latest adventure (and before our next) so I would to join a caravan. Maybe some of our friends would like to join us. ''

Roald looks at the coins on the table. After walking around with a purse full of silver, the coins look so... Unimportant.
'' unless you are buying us drinks, I'd suggest you put that money back in your pocket captain 😉''
Nov 30, 2023 9:02 am
"I'm sure we can ask Norbert to keep an eye on Asha." Albert reassures Bimi. "Looks like we're not saying goodbye just yet then, Captain." He smiles. "When are you leaving? We've got some time to look for a potential traveling companion, right?"
Nov 30, 2023 10:14 am
"I would like to leave as soon as possible. Though the healer says the longer I wait the faster I can travel, so leaving later may mean getting there sooner? I have asked, and no one here has horses." She pats her injured leg which is healing up nicely. "I am ready when you are."

What do you do?
Dec 2, 2023 8:57 pm
"Understood, captain!" Albert says with a smile. "We'll try our best to hurry up, so we don't keep you waiting."

"So, Roald." He says after they leave the room. "What do we do? We don't have much time."
Dec 3, 2023 5:26 am
'' Looks like we need to gather our gear once again Albert. A new adventure... Let us check on Daryl and Theo first, they might be interested in coming with us and I enjoy their company too.''
A cold breeze picks up and makes Roald shiver.
I should buy a new cloak ... And boots...
Walking past a small pond he stops and looks at his reflection.
who is that guy? Dirty torn clothes, bewildered hair and beard, probably doesn't smell too good either, hehe.

''I changed my mind Albert. Let's meet back here in an hour or... Make it two. I got some stuff to do.
OOC:
Roald is going to take some time to clean up (literally and figuratively) and shop for supplies
Cloak, boots, backpack, bedroll, rations, survival gear if it's possible he'll keep a few pieces of silver for emergencies.
Dec 3, 2023 9:15 am
Having given away all your new gold you are left with just the few coins you had on your person when you gear was lost. Fortunately all of the locals refuse to charge you for shopping —the local shopkeepers, and such, have benefited from the celebration festivities and the redistribution of that hoarded gold, so they consider it a win anyway.
OOC:
Take items up to the value of 60 silver, or so, but no extra coins. If you want something special, or out of budget, we can talk about it.

Theo is thrilled you have decided to travel with the captain and himself, though he still claims that he will be leaving you once reaching the big city. He may change his mind when the time of separation comes.
Phil is disappointed —but not surprised— that her father has not offered you any reward for rescuing both his kids. "He says that 'you should have negotiated first'." She says, pulling a face and speaking in a silly-sounding deep voice. "And I don't think he it pleased that Theo is going off to live his life.

"Norbert and I have been up in the attic." She says, and tries to hide a blush —you might remember a previous time the two of them were alone in an attic as the start of her (his) expression of feelings for the shepherd— "Daddy does not know what all is up there, and I thought you would get more use out of this. Better than it moldering up there."
OOC:
What does Phil offer each of you? How is it 'special'? (It may prove more important later... if you take it.)
This is additional to the replacement gear mentioned above. Don't worry about cost.

As you leave the mayor's, you get the feeling you are being followed... again. It comes as no big surprise that it is Daryl, hoping to get to talk to the heroes, but, once again, too shy to just approach them and ask if he can come along.

He is wearing armour again, but this time it is much more practical and actually seems to fit him.
What do you do?
Dec 4, 2023 9:11 pm
Albert nods to Roald when he mentions meeting up later. He takes the time to gather some supplies for the road and have a quick chat with a few of the locals. Just chit-chat basically. When he feels like he's got what he needs, he heads back and finds Roald already waiting for him. "My, you clean up well, my friend!" He says with a jolly chuckle. "You're not trying to impress anyone are you?" He winks at him.
Albert is surprised when Phil produces from her bag a brown bottle and hands it to him. It's old and dusty, the label has almost disintegrated but it's looks like it's never been opened. "I saw this and thought you might appreciate what it is or used to be." Phil says shyly. "I heard that you were a bartender or something like that."

With care, Albert picks up the bottle and takes a look. "If I didn't know any better, this looks like a bottle of Ragmar's Rum. But they haven't been sold in over 20 years! My my, that's one hell of a treasure." He pulls Phil into a tight embrace. "Thank you so much. This is wonderful." His face alight with glee. "I know you don't like to drink anymore, Roald. But this you'll have to try, even if just a sip! I hope it's still good to drink."
"Daryl, is that you sneaking up on us again?" Albert shouts from across a distance. "Come on over, we were actually looking for you." He looks Daryl up and down. "That's one hell of a new set of armor you got there. Not too shabby!"
"So, tell us, Daryl... What are you planning to do with that new outfit?"
Dec 6, 2023 4:07 am
And for you,... This bow, it might not seem much. It's old and weathered, but maybe, with some love and oil you can turn it into a good hunting bow. It belonged to my grandfather, he always said: 'Don't be fooled by appearances my child, though this bow may look like a piece of junk, it's aim is true. And it served me well for many years'
My grandfather was an incredible hunter, you know. I do regret not asking him about the symbols carved into the wood

Roald takes the bow, it is very light and looks like, like some old weapon one would get from one's father to learn how to shoot.
Apart from the carvings maybe.

'' Errr... Thank you I... I didn't expect any gifts and I don't know if I can accept such a family heirloom.

But Phil insists and pushes the bow in Roald's hands.

This could turn out nice with some cleaning and a new string.

Roald nods at Albert's invitation to try the content of the bottle.
maybe he'll forget about it... Knowing Albert the bottle would probably not last till the next full moon

Roald is glad to see Daryl coming up behind them. He has been a trustworthy companion and he enjoys his company.
He pretends to be blinded by the Shiny armor by holding his hand before his eyes.

''Is it Daryl? I can't see a damn thing!''
Dec 6, 2023 10:01 am
"I ... Um... Er..." Daryl stammers when he is caught sneaking. "You were looking for me?" He asks, sounding both nervous that he may be in trouble and eager for why.

"This?" He says, brushing down his armour. "Shiny, isn't it! It is my other grandpa's. The family gave it to me! Said they were proud and I deserved and it and mom's dad was more my size. Look! I can move around in this." Daryl exclaims, doing a cartwheel, but collapsing at the landing and ending up in a heap. He springs up instantly, though. "Apparently the other one was way too big. And they didn't even shout at me for loosing it." He sounds so thrilled by the praise that he looks like he may just burst.

"They don't have another sword, though." He says, sounding crestfallen. And you see that he has a large kitchen knife at his belt.

"My... plans?" He asks, trying to sound casual. "I was hoping to do good." You can tell he is desperate to be allowed to come with you, but does not know how to ask.

What do you do?
Dec 6, 2023 3:56 pm
'' You look fabulous Daryl, intimidating even. But that sword won't do, ... Won't do at all. I'm sorry but there is no way you can tag along with a kitchen knive as a sword. I'm sorry but you will have to go back.''
Roald pauses for a moment. And watches Daryl's face, he is having a hard time keeping a smile from his own face.
'' go back and buy yourself a genuine sword, that is!''
Roald puts some coins in his hand.''Here, you deserved this. Now hurry ! ''
Dec 6, 2023 4:10 pm
To Albert he says: '' I was actually planning on buying me a nice warm cloak for the cold nights ahead with those last coins, I guess a blanket will have to do for now.''
OOC:
enter Lady with a cloak.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.