[CLOSED] Khazuul: A Cairn 2e Hexcrawl

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Nov 25, 2023 8:09 pm
https://i.imgur.com/83i8HMd.jpg

In the ruined wastelands of the Old Empire, there are rumours of an ancient jungle buried deep in a vast, unnatural pit. This place, you have come to learn, is known as Khazuul. Here, you will navigate through jagged jungles and sweltering swamps, contend with factions vying for power, kill or be killed by monsters that crave for man-flesh, and discover the dark secrets and ancient treasures buried within.

https://newschoolrevolution.com/img/cairn/playtest_image.png

This game will be a small hexcrawl using the Cairn 2e playtest by Yochai Gal. This is a rules-light OSR game based on Into the Odd and Knave. It adheres to several philosophies, which you should be aware of if you want to join this game.

🌴 Neutrality: The Warden’s role is to portray the rules, situations, NPCs, and narrative clearly, while acting as a neutral arbiter.

🌴 Classless: A character’s role or skills are not limited by a single class. Instead, the equipment they carry and their experiences define their specialty.

🌴 Death: Characters may be powerful, but they are also vulnerable to harm in its many forms. Death is always around the corner, but it is never random or without warning.

🌴 Fiction First: Dice do not always reflect an obstacle’s difficulty or its outcome. Instead, success and failure are arbitrated by the Warden in dialogue with the players, based on in-world elements.

🌴 Growth: Characters are changed through in-world advancement, gaining new skills and abilities by surviving dangerous events and overcoming obstacles.

🌴 Player Choice: Players should always understand the reasons behind the choices they’ve made, and information about potential risks should be provided freely and frequently.

🌴 Principles: The Warden and the players each have guidelines that help foster a specific play experience defined by critical thinking, exploration, and an emergent narrative.

🌴 Shared Objectives: Players trust one another to engage with the shared setting, character goals, and party challenges. Therefore, the party is typically working together towards a common goal, as a team.

https://newschoolrevolution.com/img/cairn/playtest-update-one-resized.png
We will be attempting to set a post frequency of one 1 post per day, with realistic expectations around occasional interruptions. This game will have some horror themes, including but not limited to body horror and survival horror. This game is also explicitly friendly to all members of gamer's plane, and we will use safety tools to make sure it's only the creepiness of the jungle that makes us feel unsafe.

https://newschoolrevolution.com/img/cairn/skulls.png

Apply to be a player in this game by leaving a comment below to express your interest, or send me a DM.
Nov 25, 2023 8:33 pm
Sign me up please!
Nov 25, 2023 9:30 pm
Sounds fun! I’m definitely interested if a slot is available.
Nov 26, 2023 2:41 pm
I would like to play. I have a pdf of the 1st edition Cairn Rules. Which I read through and found to be very interesting. But I have never played.
Last edited November 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm
wulfnor says:
I would like to play. I have a pdf of the 1st edition Cairn Rules. Which I read through and found to be very interesting. But I have never played.
I found the 2e play test version linked on their site ( in the "get the pdf" section.).

I’m not sure how much it differs from 1e but also thought it sounded very interesting. And I love a good hexcrawl :)
Last edited November 26, 2023 6:20 pm
Nov 26, 2023 7:13 pm
I got them too. I would like to play Hawk the Fletchwind.
Nov 26, 2023 7:38 pm
I've been following the 2e development on the Cairn discord and I'm pretty sure the rules and mechanics are fully compatible between editions. 2e is just some rewording to help clarify the 1e mechanics and an expansion of character backgrounds and procedures to add more flavour and help run the game.

Len

Nov 26, 2023 7:46 pm
Thanks for the interest, everyone! This filled up fast, with requests from this thread as well as private messages here and on Discord. I have sent DMs to the people selected for this game. If I didn't select you this time around, you'll be the first to know if we need a replacement player.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.