End of a Long Campaign in PbP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 28, 2023 3:42 pm
After 4 years and 1 month exactly, in 42 threads and nearly 4800 posts, running a heavily modified campaign based loosely on the classic Dark Sun 2e Freedom adventure, entirely converted into D&D 5e, the heroes finally kill the BBEG, Kalak the sorcerer-king of Tyr, at the cost of their own lives.

It was a helluva journey for me as a DM, and I really feel the need to post this on record somewhere and thank my players for seeing it through! @qralloq @genecortess @falconloft @annex from the very start, and @bechdk joining us to the very end.

Special shoutout also to those who came and went, you left an indelible mark with your PCs as well, especially @len and @runekyndig, but also jabes, deadpool_qc and shadowace, plus a couple of others who were briefly in and out.

And thanks GP, PbP is pretty much my go-to now, and I'm still feeling the RPG buzz. To more games!
Nov 28, 2023 3:49 pm
Yay, congratulations! That's a really long campaign and a great success story! 🥳
Nov 28, 2023 3:55 pm
Wow, well done everyone! That's some great staying power! 🎉🎊
Nov 28, 2023 4:15 pm
Wow! Impressive! I feel like I'm lucky if a game I'm in gets past character creation these days. What factors would you say contributed to the game's staying power?
Nov 28, 2023 4:18 pm

🏆

Congratulations everyone!

Len

Nov 28, 2023 4:31 pm
Huge accomplishment BedzoneII! Congrats to you and everyone in the game!
Nov 28, 2023 4:31 pm
Congratulations on your accomplishments!
Nov 28, 2023 5:18 pm
Congratulations that's awesome
Nov 28, 2023 5:23 pm
Wow, amazing! Congrats
Nov 28, 2023 5:31 pm
Very well done :)

https://www.gmbinder.com/images/JUYOkcx.jpg
Nov 28, 2023 5:36 pm
Congratulations on both the long-term game but, and possibly more importantly, on bringing it to a proper close. Conclusions are hard.
Nov 28, 2023 7:57 pm
https://www.cmbg3.com/library/Congratulations-1-scaled.jpg

That is an amazing accomplishment. Takes a great GM and Players to make that happen.
Last edited November 28, 2023 7:57 pm
Nov 29, 2023 12:32 am
Must feel great! Awesome work, everyone!
Nov 29, 2023 1:52 am
Congrats!

Four years and a satisfying conclusion to a campaign is quite the accomplishment! Kudos to you and your players!
Nov 29, 2023 2:21 am
Thanks all for the encouragement!

Totally agree with you there vagueGM, I wasn't sure if I could stick the landing, it felt almost cheesy at times.

SavageBob, I really think it's largely due to the players. They stuck with it long enough to give both their characters chance to grow, as well as to see the plot develop properly. On my part it's about staying on track, and I'll admit there were lots of ups and downs, hiccups and uneven pauses along the way, with various pacing committments from all of us. Some parts of the game were run-of-the-mill, even boring for sure, but there were scenes and encounters that we looked forward to and that provided fulfilling milestones or resolutions. These did enable us to keep the momentum.
Nov 29, 2023 5:52 am
BedzoneII says:
After 4 years and 1 month exactly ... the heroes finally kill the BBEG, Kalak the sorcerer-king of Tyr, at the cost of their own lives.
And the gods didn't lift them up to be immortal heroes? Oh yeah, they don't have any gods there. So sad.

Well I hope the bards remember the name of . . . who were those guys again?

Sound Epic. Congrats on taking it all the way! All hail the victorious dead
(AKA qralloq, genecortess, falconloft, annex, bechdk in one of their alternate lives)
Last edited November 29, 2023 6:54 am
Nov 29, 2023 12:14 pm
Psybermagi says:
BedzoneII says:
After 4 years and 1 month exactly ... the heroes finally kill the BBEG, Kalak the sorcerer-king of Tyr, at the cost of their own lives.
And the gods didn't lift them up to be immortal heroes? Oh yeah, they don't have any gods there. So sad.

Well I hope the bards remember the name of . . . who were those guys again?

Sound Epic. Congrats on taking it all the way! All hail the victorious dead

(AKA qralloq, genecortess, falconloft, annex, bechdk in one of their alternate lives)
As a testament to how brilliant the players are, as a closing post, a sole surviving alt-PC (now NPC) bard lives to whisper the true tale which would otherwise be erased, leaving us only with the official account of Kalak's death told in the Prism Pentad's Verdant Passage novel.
Nov 29, 2023 5:32 pm
Congrats! I haven't managed to end one yet, but I am hopeful for Temple of Elemental Evil, as it seems to be going well.
Nov 29, 2023 6:10 pm
A whole campaign?! That's impressive. Well done!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.