[CLOSED] Star Scoundrels: Revenge Served Cold

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCustomPublic5 / weekSavageBob
Blast off into the cosmos with Revenge Served Cold! It's a funky space odyssey as your crew tracks down the galactic scum who did them wrong. With big blasters and bigger hair, you'll shoot your way to revenge with style and attitude. Groove to the tunes of the Max Rebo Band, lock and load with the retro-futurist style, and behold the funkadelic fury as you chase the galaxy's most wanted. It's time to get down. It's time to get even!

Cinematic Touchstones: Foxy Brown, Shaft, Lady Snowblood, Kill Bill, John Wick

Musical Touchstones: Imagine Star Wars if the Max Rebo Band pre-1997 scored the whole thing. (Think synth-funk, electro, boogie, Afrobeat, Soviet disco)

Dec 9, 2023 4:01 am
https://i.imgur.com/SrCSE4D.png

Game Here.
Quote:
Blast off into the cosmos with Revenge Served Cold! It's a funky space odyssey as your crew tracks down the galactic scum who did them wrong. With big blasters and bigger hair, you'll shoot your way to revenge with style and attitude. Groove to the tunes of the Max Rebo Band, lock and load with the retro-futurist style, and behold the funkadelic fury as you chase the galaxy's most wanted. It's time to get down. It's time to get even!
Game System: A modified version of Star Scoundrels. This is a simple, narrative-forward space opera system that uses dice pools for resolution. I'll bring in a lot of stuff from Hard City, as well, as it's a more robust and better-developed version of the same system.

The Pitch: It's Star Wars if it had been directed by Gordon Parks or Melvin Van Peebles. It's Kill Bill or John Wick set in a retro-futurist 70s Star Wars galaxy. It's Star Wars if all the music were scored by the Max Rebo Band in their pre-1997 disco-funk era. We'll play in the Rebellion era, and we'll treat canon as a suggestion rather than a rule.

Rating: Let's say a hard PG-13, baby. Expect violence galore, some sexual innuendo, but nothing beyond that.

Character Options: We will generate characters together using the Star Scoundrels rules, with a few tweaks from Hard City. Characters can be "bad guys," but they should be sympathetic. They should come from the galactic underworld, or at least have a reason to operate there. Not really the place for Jedi types.

Game Duration/Post Frequency: Plan to post once a day, except weekends. I expect the game to be fast paced, but tracking down and killing all those bad mother shut-your-mouths may take up to a year IRL.

How to Apply: Just drop me a line here. If there's enough interest, I'll pick a mix of reliable players and newcomers.

A Note on Race, Gender, and Stereotypes: This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups. The game will undoubtedly take inspiration from the Blaxploitation and kung-fu films of the 1970s. But we'll be adapting these genres to the 2020s—minimizing the negative racial stereotypes, sexist tropes, and reductive clichés. Feel free to play a guy with an Afro, a sexy mama-jama, or a martial arts master. But make your character more than a stereotype, ya dig?
Last edited December 19, 2023 4:30 pm
Dec 9, 2023 4:30 am
Absolutely inspired, SavageBob. I'm doing my best to reduce rather than expand my games right now, but man -- I hope this will be a public game!
Dec 9, 2023 4:40 am
Hello SavageBob. I've been waiting for the next one :)

Esidrix
Dec 9, 2023 4:44 am
Hey @SavageBob, I want to play in this.

Are we...or can we..play as characters of races found in the Star Wars universe?
Dec 9, 2023 8:34 am
Do we get a BAD--- ship to get our 'revenge on' in. We shouldn't be seen in the cosmos in a galactic hoopty. Not good for our funky vibe. You dig?
Dec 9, 2023 1:30 pm
Hey! I'm definitely more than interested in this. Star Wars meets Kill Bill sounds perfect!
Dec 9, 2023 3:58 pm
@Harrigan — Glad you appreciate the concept! I've made the forums public.

@RageRed — Yes, the idea is to set this in the Star Wars universe. You can be any Star Wars species, or make up a new one. Or play a droid. The game's pretty flexible, so there are no inherent advantages or disadvantages based on species choice. Instead, things like species and occupation add dice to your dice pool to accomplish task: "I'm a Wookiee, so I'm good at breaking things." (Add a die for being a Wookee.)

Thanks to those of you who have expressed interest. I'll leave this thread open through the weekend Monday and then assemble our posse.
Last edited December 9, 2023 8:07 pm
Dec 9, 2023 4:59 pm
Hi SavageBob, I'd love to play in this game. This is GOLD! It sounds like exactly what I've been looking for to get me back in the groove. I just picked up the Star Scoundrels system and I'm reading it now.
Last edited December 10, 2023 4:11 pm
Dec 9, 2023 6:34 pm
Where would you look for rules. Have not heard of this before.
Dec 9, 2023 8:05 pm
Darpavien says:
Where would you look for rules. Have not heard of this before.
You can find Star Scoundrels on DrivethruRPG. Hard City uses the same system. I'm not sure if there's a free version of the rules out there. But it's super simple, and we can all learn as we go.
Last edited December 9, 2023 8:06 pm
Dec 9, 2023 11:44 pm
SavageBob says:
@Harrigan — Glad you appreciate the concept! I've made the forums public.
Unfortunately I'm in too many games already, but I also liked the concept and will follow along as they're public. Thanks for that!
Dec 10, 2023 2:21 am
@SavageBob - this pitch, the pic, and the music are so inspiring! I'd like to play if you have room for one more.

I ran Neon City Overdrive last year (same system) and thought it was really fun. I bought Star Scoundrels right before I saw this post. I don't own Hard City, though.
Dec 10, 2023 7:36 am
Hey Orklord! Great to see you bombing around! Hope all is well!
Last edited December 10, 2023 7:37 am
Dec 10, 2023 12:27 pm
Harrigan says:
Hey Orklord! Great to see you bombing around! Hope all is well!
Hola Harrigan! All is well, I hope we get to play together soon.
Dec 11, 2023 3:24 am
Roger that, and thanks for making the game public, SavageBob!
Dec 11, 2023 1:35 pm
Here to say omg love the concept!
Dec 11, 2023 9:01 pm
Thanks, all! I'll leave this open until I go to bed tonight, and send out invites in the morning.
Dec 13, 2023 3:01 am
OK, I sent out invites to @Esidrix, @RageRed, @Appalahi, @thetaodaddy, and @orklord. @spacesseker19, stay tuned -- I'm happy to have you on deck in case someone drops!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.