[CLOSED] Beyond the Wall - Character Creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCustomPublic1 / dayemsquared
Every home needs its heroes…

Your small village seems like a haven to you and your friends, but it is not safe.

Dangerous faeries lurk in the forest just outside of town, wicked men and ferocious monsters are a constant threat, and sometimes dark forces find their way into your neighbors’ hearts. You and your companions are young and untested, but ready to protect what matters.

Come with us beyond the wall...

Dec 13, 2023 5:52 pm
Hello gamersplaners!

So, I have a perhaps unorthodox proposal for you...

If you're like me, you love character creation. I will create characters for fun, in systems in which I enjoy the character creation process. Or when I'm playing in a game, I love tooling with small variations on narrative or mechanics for my planned character, to search for what really gets me excited.

Well...

Awhile ago, I was looking for rpg systems that used a "lifepath"-style character creation process. Because I love that style of character creation.

Burning Wheel I think is the elephant in that room and I'm well aware of and versed in it. But in this search for others I came across a humble OSR system called "Beyond the Wall".

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/93/ca/2593cab99581f38db8184a6fc5e0458d.jpg

I've never gotten the chance to play it. And I really don't know that I have the bandwidth to commit to a full on long term game of it...

But I think I have the time to just poke at it a little bit for a little while.

Is there anyone out there who likes character creation just for the sake of character creation, and who would want to go through the character creation processes with me as DM for Beyond the Wall? There is a world building aspect to character creation that is part and parcel with it, that I would want to carry out also.

We would go no further than character creation/world building, unfortunately, at least not at this time. Though that could potentially change down the road in the New Year, as I figure out my availability in a new job.

It would probably be best/easiest if you have your own copy of BtW as there's lots of tables, but I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, particularly because the publisher of BtW provides a lot of free resources that could be used in lieu of the core rulebook.

But, so, yea, any takers???

It's supposed to be a very fast character creation process, and so it may only be a few weeks commitment (with no posting frequency req). And again I do want (you) to do the whole village creation and world-building aspects of it too, otherwise it'd probably only take a day.

I just want to see what it feels like and what you/we/a table ends up with, and if it's truly as "no prep, fast start" as it is advertised as being.

Thanks!
Last edited December 14, 2023 1:03 am
Dec 13, 2023 6:21 pm
Looks like I picked up the BtW books last year for a game that stalled a couple weeks in. I'll play 'Let's make characters" with you.
Dec 13, 2023 7:13 pm
I'll lend my pencil to the cause!
Dec 13, 2023 9:20 pm
The concept seems interesting. I’ll check out character creation with y’all.
Dec 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Another book collecting dust on my shelf! and the PDF as well, it seems. My external drive knows no bounds.

I'd be interested in giving this a go, if you haven't hit your player limit for just a character/world creation test.
Dec 13, 2023 9:39 pm
Can confirm Tao is great for involved/cooperative character and world building.
Dec 13, 2023 10:25 pm
Engineer by profession, world builder in my dreams, rpg enthusiast interested in testing out a new/retro system
Dec 14, 2023 1:02 am
I think 5 is a good number! I'll close it up. Thanks all!

I'm going to set up the forum - the game uses some visual resources like an abstract-ish blank village map, and a hex grid - and send out invites to each of you after that!
Dec 15, 2023 5:56 am
You’ll have fun with this — BTW is a fabulous game.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.