GM posting as monsters

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 16, 2023 8:30 pm
Hey, relatively new player and game master for the site. Is there an easy way to post as a monster the way players can post as their character and make it work even if a fight has multiple enemies?

Let's say a fight included a dragon, a couple kobolds, and a human worshiper of the dragon. Is there an easy to do each post has the correct picture above it for which is acting?
Dec 16, 2023 8:41 pm
The code is:
[npc="Name"]Image_URL[/npc]

If you only add one of these tags to your post and don't choose any sheet for your "Post As", it will appear as if you are posting as that character. If you add multiple, or also select a sheet for "Post As", then the name and image will be embedded in your post instead.
[ +- ] Example 1: Only one NPC tag
[ +- ] Example 2: Multiple NPC tags
You can also, in a GM character sheet create a list of your NPC tags, formatted like this:
[npcs="list name"]Name 1 | URL 1
Name 2 | URL 2[/npcs]

That will give you a list of all the NPCs and when you unfold the character sheet at the bottom of the thread page, you just need to click on one of them to automatically add the NPC tag to your post
[ +- ] Example 3: NPCs list
Dec 16, 2023 8:44 pm
Is there a Forum to mess around with stuff like this or is it best to do it in your own Game?

It works!

bowlofspinach

Dec 16, 2023 8:46 pm
A lot of people (including me) just create a game for only themselves to test things out or to save posts or notes to themselves. It's a useful thing to have around.

Though you can also just try to post with an NPC tag here.
It works!
Dec 16, 2023 10:36 pm
You can create an NPC section in a DM sheet for all your NPC collection. Instructions here and here
Last edited December 16, 2023 10:37 pm
Dec 16, 2023 10:49 pm
Sounds useful. I'll text it out when I can and get back if something goes wrong
Jan 25, 2024 1:15 am
Just posting here so others who locate this post will be able to figure things out quicker than I did. :)

You'll first need to create a custom character sheet. Once you have that and it has the contents you like (NPC list or whatever), you copy part of the link for the custom sheet when viewing it. The part you copy looks like this: custom/27888

To link the sheet to the game:
* View a game thread and click the Game Details link.
* Click the Edit link next to the game name at the top of the page.
* Scroll down and expand the Advanced Rules Definitions section.
* Click and unclick the GM - exclude NPC sheets option to fill in the section with defaults if it isn't already populated.
* Add the custom sheet to the characterSheetIntegration section. It will look something like this:

"characterSheetIntegration": {"gmSheets": [{"NPCs" : "custom/27888"}, {"Oracle" : "custom/28478"}], "playerSheets": [{"Oracle": "custom/28478"}]},

* Save the game

When you go to post, you should see the name you gave your sheet in the Rolls section. Clicking it will reveal the sheet.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.