Interest check: DnD Eberron (Droaam)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 20, 2023 2:46 pm
I am considering running another game next year, if I can attract enough interest.

I'm currently looking into Eberron settings and story that would bring us to the Droaam (a rebellious territory of Breland, currently thriving nation of monsters, ruled by hags... do I need to tell more?).

To survive and complete the quest 3-4 player party will need to realize that even monstrous creatures want the same things that members of other races do, more or less.
Last edited December 20, 2023 2:58 pm
Dec 20, 2023 7:13 pm
Always a fan of Eberron.
Dec 20, 2023 9:12 pm
Interested. I even have a hobgoblin idea
Dec 21, 2023 7:57 am
I am interested. Love Eberron, but haven't played D&D for a few years :)
Dec 21, 2023 3:17 pm
Mightily interested, Eberron is always a win. Have ideas for both monster-race characters and "fish-out-of-water" adventurers from more "civilized" walks of life.
Dec 21, 2023 5:00 pm
OK looks like sufficient interest to come up with draft idea for scenario first chapter:

A couple of (non monster) PCs - Breland residents are hired to recruit some hill giants for building project in Breland. Visiting Droaam first time in their life and experiencing culture shock they will soon realize money is not enough to motivate Hill Giants make the decision...

I hope to build a story with some mystery and a lot of intrigues and building relationship with NPCs a bit through rolling charisma but even more through employing your Str, Int and Wis based skills as well as winning some fights.
Dec 21, 2023 6:16 pm
I'm not usually really a D&D person, but I do love befriending anyone and everyone, so this sounds like a fun concept. If you end up having a free spot left, I'd be interested in playing.
Dec 21, 2023 11:36 pm
I'm liking the premise. From what I remember of Droaam, it's house Tharask that takes care of a lot of the labour hiring and intermediating jobs in and out of the country, right? Could be fun to play a dragon marked or dragon mark house-associated character, either as one of the recruiters or as one of the local contacts for the recruiters.
Dec 22, 2023 6:54 am
I came up with a good reason (or actually few of them) for building organization to avoid direct deal with hags who rule over the nation of Droaam. And House Tharashk act as a proxy business for these hags.

Hiring Hill Giants secretly from House Tharashk is one of the challenges.

It will be prerequisite for PC backgrounds to have neither Droaam nor House Tharask involved.
I want player PCs to explore both through the gameplay
Last edited December 22, 2023 6:54 am
Dec 28, 2023 3:44 pm
Update: I will start hiring very soon next year. But want to double check my final idea - anyone have feedback on following? Anything I'm missing ? Any misinterpretation of just plain wrong there:
[ +- ] Story begins at Breland
This is my impression of "adventuring" situation at Breland:
Dragonmarked families provide a lot services typically assumed to be wannabe adventurer's job: caravan security, bounty hunters, retrieving lost artifacts, etc. : logic suggest adventurers hired at taverns can't compete at prices and service availability with the great dragonmarked families.

I expect most heroes to be drawn to more exotic location across the continent of Khorvaire: jungles of Q’barra, the blasted hills and valleys of the Demon Wastes, the dinosaur-filled Talenta Plains, etc., etc.

Conclusion: It would most reasonable for a 5e story that starts at Breland to gather characters who don't plan to be heroes, not even adventurers
It will be the sequence of events they will get through and their impressive accomplishments that will rise the heroes of the nation.
Dec 29, 2023 7:17 pm
From what I recall of Eberron, while the Dragonmarked families do dominate several corners of the market and expand their ranks to include non-marked among the lower ranks, they would also probably charge more than your random band of low level adventurers, especially if the use of a Mark is included.

If they had the numbers to completely corner a market, some nations might look at them and see a private standing army, which always makes rulers quite nervous. Not to mention, adventurers are a resource too, and unlike House mercenaries, they have the advantage of being officially unaffiliated - I can imagine a lot of people wouldn't want to run the risk of House-affiliated mooks spying in on them.

Anyway, just my two cents, lots of variables at play. If in your version the houses have a tighter stranglehold on certain parts of the market, by all means. Coming up with background that eschew the usual adventuring ones sounds fun anyway.
Dec 29, 2023 8:13 pm
Have you been reading The Queen of Stone?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1431272432i/3210859.jpg

It sounds more or less that the plot of that book. I have read it and it is one of the better Eberron novels. Its actually one of the prime reasons that I did not apply for this game
Last edited December 29, 2023 8:20 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.