[Closed][5e][Long Term]Bargains with the Dark

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate5 / weekSmiley
In the quaint town of Willowbrook, the Adventure Guild seeks brave souls to resolve a brewing predicament. A rowdy band of travelers and traders has descended upon the peaceful town, disrupting the tranquility with their noisy revelry, impolite behavior, and disruptive conduct. The locals, known for their hospitality, are growing increasingly irked by their presence. The boisterous group shows no signs of leaving voluntarily, and tensions are on the rise.

Your task is to diplomatically persuade or cleverly incentivize these travelers to depart from Willowbrook. However, there's a catch ā€“ they're a diverse and shrewd bunch, ranging from cunning merchants to seasoned mercenaries, making mere persuasion a challenging feat. To further complicate matters, rumors swirl that they might have a hidden agenda or valuable information they're not willing to part with easily.

The Adventure Guild promises a handsome reward for those who can skillfully handle this delicate situation. Will you employ tactful negotiation, uncover their motivations, leverage your wit, or perhaps find a mutually beneficial solution? The fate of Willowbrook's serenity rests in your hands as you navigate through this intriguing challenge of diplomacy and tact.

Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm
https://i.imgur.com/1M4ndD6.jpg
In the quaint town of Willowbrook, the Adventure Guild seeks brave souls to resolve a brewing predicament. A rowdy band of travelers and traders has descended upon the peaceful town, disrupting the tranquility with their noisy revelry, impolite behavior, and disruptive conduct. The locals, known for their hospitality, are growing increasingly irked by their presence. The boisterous group shows no signs of leaving voluntarily, and tensions are on the rise.

Your task is to diplomatically persuade or cleverly incentivize these travelers to depart from Willowbrook. However, there's a catch ā€“ they're a diverse and shrewd bunch, ranging from cunning merchants to seasoned mercenaries, making mere persuasion a challenging feat. To further complicate matters, rumors swirl that they might have a hidden agenda or valuable information they're not willing to part with easily.

The Adventure Guild promises a handsome reward for those who can skillfully handle this delicate situation. Will you employ tactful negotiation, uncover their motivations, leverage your wit, or perhaps find a mutually beneficial solution? The fate of Willowbrook's serenity rests in your hands as you navigate through this intriguing challenge of diplomacy and tact.

Hello everyone! I am looking for 4ā€“6 players for a long-term campaign. I expect this campaign will take a few years to complete. I am looking for active players. I understand that not everyone can be active 24/7/365, but I am hoping players will try to post at least once a day. For everyone that asks to join, I will be checking to see how long you have been on GamerPlane and how many games you are currently playing.
The campaign is based off of a WotC hardcover with added Homebrew changes and rules (see Rules below). I am keeping the Hardcover secret until after Characters are created. This will not be an easy campaign or for the faint of heart. The campaign will include some adult themes (see below). I am asking players to be 18 or older in order to join.

This Recruitment post will be live until 1/2/2023. Please Reply in this post if you wish to join. Do Not DM me.
Character Creation Rules.
27 Point buy or Roll 4d6kh3. If you don't like your Roll you can switch to Point Buy.
Starting 3st Level
All WotC allow. No UA, No Homebrew.
Race - ERLW Marks, VRGR, AAG and MoT not allowed.
Background - SCC, AAG, DSotDQ not allowed.
Starting Equipment & Background Equipment OR Roll for Gold.

All Variant Options allowed (As long as it follows rules above)
Milestone Advancement
Possible Triggers in Campaign.
Child abuse and death, Torture, mutilation, Mind control, (Implied) incest, (Implied) necrophilia, Stalking, (symbolic) sexual assault, Suicide, Drug addiction, Body horror, Xenophobia & Racism
Homebrew rules.

Death Saves Rule
Each failed death save gains a level of exhaustion. It takes 6 failed saves to Die. 3 successful saves to be stable.
Nat 20 is 1 hp and awake.
Nat 1 is 2 failed death saves/ 2 levels of exhaustion.
1 level of exhaustion is lost via long rest.

Horror & Madness & Massive Damage.
Horror involves more than simple fright. It entails revulsion and anguish. Often it arises when adventurer see something completely contrary to the common understanding of what can and should occur in the world, or upon the realization of a dreadful truth.
In such a situation, you can call on characters to make a saving throw to resist the horror. Set the DC based on the magnitude of the horrific circumstances. On a failed save, a character gains a Level of Madness.

When a creature takes damage from a single source equal to or greater than half its hit point maximum, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a character gains a Level of Madness. For example, a creature that has a hit point maximum of 30 must make that Constitution save if it takes 15 damage or more from a single source.

A creature's madness level starts at 0. When the creature fails a madness saving throw, its madness level increases by 1, and the creature immediately suffers the level's effect (as determined by rolling on the Short-Term Madness, Long-Term Madness, or Indefinite Madness table in the Dungeon Master's Guide, as appropriate). When the effect ends, the creature's madness level doesn't change. Any time the creature's madness level increases, it suffers the effect of the new level.

If a creature with level 3 madness fails a madness saving throw, its madness level becomes 1. In this way, characters can potentially accumulate multiple forms of madness.

Madness Levels
Level Effect
1 Bout of short-term madness (Last until end of next turn)
2 Bout of medium-term madness (lasts 1d10 minutes)
3 Bout of long-term madness (lasts 1d10 Ɨ 10 hours)
4 Bout of indefinite madness (lasts until cured)
Last edited May 10, 2024 2:04 pm
Dec 29, 2023 12:00 am
That indeed sounds interesting. I'm good for a long haul and fairly rapid posting. Put me on the INTERESTED list. :) I would plan to keep to the more standard races.
Last edited December 29, 2023 12:02 am
Dec 29, 2023 12:27 am
Highly interested, dark fantasy stuff sounds exactly like my type of game. This seems like a horror type of game, can I ask if this is more gothic, or eldritch horror, or something else? Just curious.

Also, since you're checking up on how many games people are in, I currently have 3 games listed in my profile, but one of them hasn't been active for months, so I really only have 2 games.
Dec 29, 2023 1:14 am
I'm digging the Darkest Dungeon vibes in the mechanics. I'm a fairly recent newcomer on GP, but I've got a few years under the belt when it comes to 3.5 and now 5e, and I'm currently on another long-term 5e PBP game outside of gamers plane.

Off the top of my hat, it might be nice playing an arcane trickster with later multiclass options, perhaps a Changeling for both the social shenanigans potentials and the madness developments.
Dec 29, 2023 2:09 am
šŸ˜³

Please don't make me beg to join.

I mean I will, but...

(Worth noting, I have a pretty long list of games I'm part of but a good number -- halfish? -- are either on sabbatical, games I'm "in" to read, games I have as sort of a database, or are super casual... like, posting twice a week. Maybe. Short version is, my load isn't nearly what it looks like at first glance.)
Last edited December 29, 2023 2:12 am
Dec 29, 2023 8:10 am
Sounds super interesting! Color me intrigued.
Dec 29, 2023 6:21 pm
Sounds cool!

I just joined a CoC one-shot. This sounds like Cthulhu 5e to some extent. Fun!! But I probably should not take on another game, since I want to stay on top the the games I'm running.
MaJunior says:
šŸ˜³

Please don't make me beg to join.

I mean I will, but...

(Worth noting, I have a pretty long list of games I'm part of but a good number -- halfish? -- are either on sabbatical, games I'm "in" to read, games I have as sort of a database, or are super casual... like, posting twice a week. Maybe. Short version is, my load isn't nearly what it looks like at first glance.)
Ha. MaJunior, I like how you preemptively addressed the appearance of your lengthy GP game involvement. I can vouch that MaJunior is an active participant in the games were in together. :)
Last edited December 29, 2023 6:22 pm
Dec 29, 2023 8:39 pm
@Seck Well to be fair, he mentioned looking at peoples' games so I figured I'd just address it from the jump. Lol
Dec 29, 2023 11:17 pm
Long term? Frequent posting? Iā€™d be interested!
Dec 30, 2023 12:02 am
I'm down for a long-term game as well. This would be my first dark 5E game too, which generally is my preference. Normally I have to play World of Darkness or Warhammer 40K to get my fill of those and I'm currently out of those.

It's an interesting premise. It sounds pretty innocent on the surface, but then I saw the long, long list of possible triggers and I got hooked so ummm.... *puts his name in the hat*.
Dec 30, 2023 11:59 am
I'm definitely interested! I've been looking to join a campaign again now that I can and this one has my interest! I know my game list won't look impressive. I don't have any right now as I let my playing fall to the side for reasons I'd be willing to state in private, but I'm thirsty to get back into it!

And all those dark themes... they make my dark romance reading heart so excited! And knowing you want to do this for years makes me all the more enthusiastic to join. I'd love to have a DM stick around long enough to complete a campaign for once!

*folds a piece of paper with my name on it neatly before throwing it in the goblet of fire*
Jan 1, 2024 12:53 am
I had enough players that I choose the ones I have selected for the campaign.
Note! Those few of you that were not chosen.
It is because I have played games with you. I know each of you are Very Good players.
So if someone falls through I know I can message one of you to get a full party again.
May 10, 2024 1:21 pm
I am opening up this game again.

We are looking for 1-2 more players to join.
The game is ongoing we started in January.

Currently Party make up is:
Human Warlock
Fairy Rogue
Half-Elf Paladin
Tabaxi Ranger

Please Read 1st post for Character Creation Rules and Homebrew Rules.
May 10, 2024 1:38 pm
I would most definitely be interested in joining this group of adventurers!
Last edited May 10, 2024 1:54 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.