[CLOSED][Recruitment] SotDL: Darkness Upon Us

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 10, 2024 1:25 pm
A teaser
Darkness has fallen on the land of Thavel. It was never a particularly hospitable region, covered in thick, shadowy woods and deep and treacherous marches but now, monstrous beastmen roam the landscape, ogres feast on innocent travellers, terrible cults infect minds with madness and dead crawl from their shallow graves. And messages from close and far only repeat the same things. From the hot desert sands to the frozen tundra, from the vast ocean to the thickest forests, a vile shadow has fallen onto everything we knew. And the new world is unfair and unforgiving. But, life must go on and those who still live struggle and fight, for hope dies last and there is still plenty of it. And you? We will see if you can survive - or even thrive - in this dog-eat-dog world.

Unsavoury themes
The world you will have the chance to live in is dark and both me and the system books don't shy away from some heavy topics. Gore, horror, obscenity of all kinds... this game is not for someone looking for a lighthearted whimsical adventure. Of course, while it's fun to torture your players, I want everyone to have fun first and foremost, so we will have a session 0 and discuss everything that may be coming. That being said I don't want to stray too far from obvious, uncomfortable horror.
https://i.imgur.com/gGjJGir.jpg
Player requirements
Knowledge of the system is welcomed, but not required. I am willing to teach and if you have experience with DnD 5e or something similar it shouldn't be too hard for you to grasp it quickly.

Difficulty
Even tho the game is going to be very grimdark and very lethal I am not really looking for hardcore gamers with optimal builds. Not saying they aren't allowed, but you won't need to make optimal choices or touch everything with 10-foot poles (tho that's definitely a good idea when you don't know what it is). I am not planning to build this game to be fair necessarily and that goes both ways - meaning that if I say there is a group of troglodytes that doesn't mean I think you are ready to fight them or that you even stand a chance (or of course that they stand a chance, it depends), but I will always try to give you and the idea of enemies power level, so don't worry about spending the game not fighting anything because you don't know if you 'should'. Running from hard combats and picking on weaker foes are both possibilities and so are hirelings, traps and so on and so on. I am more interested in making a living world than a game level if you know what I mean. Your characters also can get sick, wounded or die in any other number of anticlimactic ways, but I will always give you at least a small chance to save yourselves. I try not to be an asshole about it.
https://i.imgur.com/KwHC5w6.jpg
Game stuff
I am aiming for around post per day frequency, say 5-7 posts per week, less during holidays and so on, I don't plan to be too draconian about it unless I see it's detrimental to the game.
There are some minor tweaks to the rules, but nothing major. Some Paths have restrictions put on them to make sense in the world, but I try not to be too limiting. Ancestries from the source book and Demon Lord's Companion 1 are allowed, other ancestries may be allowed if I particularly like the idea and it makes sense in the world. I also allow players to skip some of the randomnesses of the by-the-rules character creation and instead pick what makes sense for their character.
The world I am using is homebrew but draws inspiration from Urth heavily.

Me as a GM
I have some experience GMing SotDL, DnD 5e and CoC, but I wouldn't call myself a veteran GM. This is also my first time using Gamers Plane, so sorry if some things are a little janky or if I mess up here and there. English also isn't my first language, but I am comfortable writing in it and use Grammarly so you should barely notice.
For my game style, I definitely gravitate towards roleplay and story over mechanical perfection, but I do enjoy combat a lot. I like players with ideas and some creativity and try to work with them, even letting them change my worldbuilding and stuff. I am pretty open to players doing whatever they want (if they can do it and deal with the consequences) but actively disruptive players don't have a place at my (virtual) table.
But most importantly I believe that if everyone has fun, it's a good game.
https://i.imgur.com/H055uCr.jpg
How to apply
I do not need much from you, just make a post here in the thread with your experiences with the system and any expectations or reservations you might have (Hey, I like the idea of this and that, but I am afraid that this and this would mean that thing which I do not like.) and I will see who fits best, tho it will probably be first come first serve for most people. Characters and such will be created later with the players on board so we can make sure that the party will work well together and that the character will fit the setting. If you have any questions or want to discuss something feel free to contact me in any way you see fit.

Well, I hope I didn't forget anything important. That's it for me, now it's up to you.
Last edited January 15, 2024 2:58 pm
Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm
I greatly enjoy SotDL. I have GMed and played in numerous campaigns. I would love to be a player in this game! :)
Jan 10, 2024 1:35 pm
I would love to play. Tried it once, but the game sadly died out before I got to my first roll.

Though I did try the offshoot game Weird Wizard so I know the system somewhat from that and I have the rulebook in a shelf or in a box somewhere in my apartment.
Jan 10, 2024 3:26 pm
I would love to join! I am a big fan of SotDL and I have played and GM'd it before. I look forward to playing in your game.
Last edited January 10, 2024 4:54 pm
Jan 11, 2024 5:03 am
I'd love to join! I have lots of experience with the game. I don't have any reservations or anything. Just happy another SotDL game is available!
Jan 11, 2024 6:14 am
Quote:
I have lots of experience with the game
That's an understatement 😋
Jan 11, 2024 6:24 am
I have never played SotDL but I love a good horror setting (the darker the better). I am eager to learn any system so long as other players grant me some leeway with asking questions. I’d love to play if that’s all fine with everyone else who winds up in the game.
Jan 11, 2024 11:55 am
Please can we have a sense of what the story will be about?

The way it's presented is, it's going to be a blood bath and fighting demons. But is there more to it?
Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am
Starsong says:
Please can we have a sense of what the story will be about?

The way it's presented is, it's going to be a blood bath and fighting demons. But is there more to it?
So, the story is going to be heavily dependent on the group. I try not to have it set in stone before at least talking to my players. You may try to cleanse the land from corruption, just try to make it a better place, search for relics or just try to make good for yourself... for me the main idea of the plot is a session 0 thing rather than something I decide alone.

But if you're asking if the game will only be combat and dying then no, I enjoy a good story arc or two (ot three).
Jan 13, 2024 10:13 am
Thank you for your answer. Good luck with the game.
Jan 13, 2024 2:30 pm
Hi,
I have no experience at all with SotDL, but I'd like to give the system a try. I enjoy dark fantasy and do have quite a bit of experience with D&D. If you have the room still and wouldn't mind a real noob to the game, please consider me.
Thanks

You do not have permission to post in this thread.