IC: Street Wolves (Synthwave '80s Cops for SWADE)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 11, 2024 8:15 pm
https://i.postimg.cc/LXM8TmqY/image-0027501-20230129-ob-98375c-street-wolves-landscapecar.jpg

Closed to Applications

Game System: Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE).

Genre: Synthwave, Investigative, Cassette Futurism

Number of Players: Six players maximum.

Posting Frequency: A minimum of 3 times per week seems reasonable.

Game Duration: Probably six months to a year. We'll decide as we go.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes: Expect drugs, violence, and lots of swearing. Sex, if any, is ONLY ever implied.

Experience: Prior experience with SWADE is helpful but not necessary. Those new to Savage Worlds are welcomed.

Specialized Resources: You should have a copy of Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Anything else that's needed, I will provide.

Marginalized Groups: Everyone is welcomed.

Applying: Express your interest in the thread below. First come, First served.

https://i.postimg.cc/wxwYcXRh/streetwolves-cover-website.jpg

Street Wolves

"Put your shades on, get in the car, and pop in a cassette. It’s time to hit the streets."

Street Wolves is a synthwave infused, retro-future Savage Worlds setting by Table Cat Games. It's your favorite '80s police procedural or crime drama set in a fictional U.S. coastal city similar to Miami, Florida. The setting is inspired by synthwave aesthetics, buddy cop/police procedurals like Miami Vice, neo-noir movies like Drive, and adult animated series like Moonbeam City. There's a splash of science fiction mixed with a healthy amount of cop show tropes.

Players take the roles of Street Wolves - operatives that work outside the system as investigators and problem solvers. They fight numerous foes in the shadows such as conspiracies, cults, corporate goons, Soviet spies, drug traffickers, and ninjas - at the same time facing their own inner demons. Your characters juggle their dramatic professional and personal lives, keep the city safe, have torrid romances, and look stylish as hell while doing it. There's also a mysterious phenomena called Vapor, which causes cities to have unusual colors at night, and it even gives the unlucky "Vapor poisoned" unusual powers. It’s both a blessing and a curse.

And it's the late '80s, so don't forget the fashion: power suits, headbands, lace gloves, brassieres worn as outerwear, track suits, punk rock apparel, popped collars, argyle socks, hush puppies, leather jackets, leg warmers, sweater dresses, sports coats, Hawaiian shirts, parachute pants, and endless other items inspired by popular artists like Michael Jackson and Madonna, or by popular trends like the tv show Dallas, the aerobics craze, and professional wear. Your character’s signature look is just as important as his or her skills and personality.

If you want more insight into the look and tone of the setting, then check out the link below. You can't get more Street Wolves than this:

Alphabet City

https://i.postimg.cc/zX29C53J/96b0c33c83bd2873908cb38fa3c856662210437f.png

What is Synthwave?

Most people are familiar with the term synthwave as a form of electronic music from the 1980s predominantly associated with film soundtracks and video games. It's characterized by its use of synthesizers, electronic drum beats, and reverb. But it also refers to a specific retro 80s visual aesthetic. Also known as outrun, this aesthetic is very distinct for its gridlines, magenta and neon coloration, and VHS tracking artifacts. The Street Wolves setting is absolutely drenched in such visuals, and synthwave represents a core part of the game's tone and charm.

The synthwave look is often coupled with so-called "cassette futurism" or "modempunk," which is a closely related aesthetic that draws on the technology of the '80s. Lots of blocky monitors, monochrone green CRT displays, dial-up modems, dot matrix printers, and, of course, video and beta cassette tapes. High-end electronics come in beige cases. Digital is making an appearance, but analog tech is still everywhere. Boomboxes are all the rage. Computers such as Apple's 16-bit IIGS are the hottest and latest in personal computing. Technology, at this time, exists in a transitional state, so it's not unusual to see things like a rotary phone alongside a large, proto-cell phone, or a magnetic reel-to-reel tape alongside an optical disc.
Last edited January 13, 2024 8:22 pm
Jan 12, 2024 1:20 am
I'm interested! That setting description is just so evocative. I haven't played Savage Worlds before but I do have a copy of SWADE.
Jan 12, 2024 3:10 am
Love. This.

I'm still brutally chopping my PbP games back so I won't formally express interest, but I hope the game is public so the rest of us can get some synthwaves!
Jan 12, 2024 3:54 am
This sounds amazing. I would love to try it.
Jan 12, 2024 6:48 am
This sounds cool, interested please. Wanna play a Puerto Rican cop dressed like Prince in concert.

SWADE is my system of choice, I ran it and played it many times.
Last edited January 12, 2024 6:48 am
Jan 12, 2024 6:56 am
I played Savage Worlds a long time ago. So, I think I will be fairly new to the system. But, I like what I see. If you have spot open, I would love to join.
Jan 12, 2024 3:36 pm
I've yet to really get a SWADE game off the ground, but I've made a handful of characters. I'd love to really get to learn the system though.
Jan 12, 2024 5:50 pm
Woot! Picked this up a while back in hopes of running it for my group. That's on-hold, but would love to get my feet wet with the setting.

If you're looking for one more, yes please!
Jan 12, 2024 8:40 pm
Nice! Looks to be enough players. I'll start putting the game together. Once it's ready, I'll send out invitations. Just need a day or two. Still new to the site so I'm figuring a few things out.
Last edited January 12, 2024 8:41 pm
Jan 13, 2024 6:14 am
Game has been created and invites sent out.

Street Wolves: Starlight City Nights
Last edited January 13, 2024 6:14 am
Jan 13, 2024 3:45 pm
What a great looking game! I hope you all have a blast together!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.