[IC] Marvel Multiverse

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 13, 2024 10:38 pm
https://startplaying.games/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fspg-images.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com%2F8873fe0b-369a-47dc-98c5-301489b1c857&w=3840&q=75

System: Marvel Multiverse RPG
Got Marvel Multiverse over the holiday and I've been itching to try it. It's new, so it's not the Marvel game listed on our site here.

The Pitch: We got options!
Looking for 3 to 6 players.

As a Multiverse game, the world will be my own technically, but not to far off the main 616 timeline, or the MCU. I have three scenarios in individual and we will vote on one here as part of the application process. See below.

A common thread in all scenarios is the 50 State Initiative is still in effect. Vigilante heroes are outlawed and each state has a team that is sanctioned by the U.S. government.

Scenario A: New Champions Academy - PCs will be young heroes in training, learning from veterans and preparing to take their place when the time comes. You'll deal with other squads of would be heroes, and the lessons your elders want to teach you, and maybe uncover some dark secrets about the program itself!

Scenario B: Paragons - You've been recruited(or maybe forecfully assigned) to be the team for the state of Indiana! There's more than corn in Indiana, and it needs protecting! What could possibly be of interest to supervillains in such a fly-over place like this? Well, maybe those old cyber-wolf robots attacking the mall are a clue.

Scenario V: Heroes for Hire - Bradford Simon, billionaire heir to Midwest's largest property owning dynasty has secretly gathered you all to do some work for him. It seems the Maggia moved out to Indianapolis to get away from the big cities where the heroes gather. They've recently become a problem for The Simon Group and now he wants them dealt with. He's aware of what you can do and wants to pay you to fix his problems, and keep the Initiative from finding out about his involvement.

Adult Content/Themes:
Nothing planned. This is a superhero story set in the Marvel universe, so comic book violence is going to be a thing. Marvel Knights or Marvel Netflix levels at worst. PCs are expected to be heroes, even in the Vigelante Scenario. Other than the potential for violence, I don't forsee anything coming up in my story, but player actions are unpredictable. X-cards, lines and veils rules will be in effect.

Character Restrictions:
This will be a Rank 3 game. Characters go from 1 to 6 (currently at least). Rank 1 is normal humans with no training or powers. 6 is cosmic teir like Hela and Thanos. Most of the Avengers and MCU characters are Rank 4 or 5. Ranks 2 & 3 are what you might call "Street Level" heroes. Daredevil, Electra and Nick Fury are all Rank 2. Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Ms. Marvel are all Rank 3.

You can play either a Rank 3 from the base book or create your own hero, it's up to you. But be aware the base book is rather limited in what it gives options for. Right now I am struggling to figure out how to make characters like Maggot or Multiple Man using the base powers.

Duration & Frequency:
These scenarios are kind if short. At the posting frequency I'm expecting, I'd guess 3 to 4 months, 6 tops. If we enjoy it and want to keep going we can consider it, if I can develop another storyline.

I'd want to progress game 3 times a week as minimum: I will be posting game process every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We might have days where more activity is possible, but I won't push for more, and I'll won't let the game runaway from people outside of that schedule.

Special Resources: Having access to the main book is all I could ask. The site provides the rest.

Player Experience:
None required, as I mentioned I'm new to this game so I can't ask you to have more. That said I have been running D&D and Call of Cthulhu one shots for may years so I'm not lacking GM experience, just in this game specifically.

How to Apply:
Post your interest here, and rank vote the scenarios listed above. You can suggest your character preference if there is an established Marvel characters you want to play, or briefly describe an OC. However, be open to adjustments. We could power up Matt Murdock to 3, but lowering Thor from a 5 might be difficult to keep feeling godly. We'll hammer all rhat out once in the game.

Today is Saturday 1-13-24. I'll close applications at midnight EST on 1-15-24.
Jan 14, 2024 2:57 am
I also just got the book! Sign me up!

Scenario A sounds interesting, but mostly because it feels a bit like the Avengers Academy comics.

That said, all of the proposed scenarios have a certain appeal.

I'd probably want to make my own character, just to mess around with the system. That said, I don't have a concept just yet. I just know that something original has more appeal than characters we already know.
Last edited January 14, 2024 3:00 am
Jan 14, 2024 9:50 am
Hi. Would love to play. Have wanted to try out the system for a while. I agree that scenario A sounds the most interesting. Will have to think of a concept.
Jan 14, 2024 11:55 am
I am excited to see this game on offer! I have the book and have it via roll20 (thanks Disney Insider points!).
Scenario B is my favorite, follower by V (both Indiana protectors, that's fun!) I could have fun with Scenario as, but I'm running an X-Men Academy game currently, so that's why it's my third choice.

As for a character, I'd go with a different choice based on the scenario chosen, but not an OC. They put so much effort starting up the comics hero s, why not use one and tweak the history, if needed?
Jan 14, 2024 12:14 pm
Heya, I'd be interested!

I'd probably go for an OC too, and Scenario V sounds most interesting for me but I'd be happy to play any of the above. If I had to go for a last pick of the three though, not that I dislike it, I'd go for B.

KCC

Jan 14, 2024 12:33 pm
Hi~~

I guess I quite like all of the scenarios. Though if others really like the second and third choices, I’m more than okay with those!

I’m surprised there will be so many OC characters around. I guess I could look into that! The book is a little skimpy on Rank 3s after all!
Jan 14, 2024 1:03 pm
KCC says:
I’m surprised there will be so many OC characters around. I guess I could look into that! The book is a little skimpy on Rank 3s after all!
Everyone's opinion will differ, but to me playing an existing hero feels like borrowing someone else's suit. It's nice, but it's not yours and you probably shouldn't just do whatever you want in it.

Original characters are the epitome of a blank slate. There's no game-derailing arguments about whether or not a particular character would do X, Y, or Z.

Besides, character creation is fun. Lol
Last edited January 14, 2024 1:03 pm
Jan 15, 2024 4:29 am
Excited to see the interest. It's approaching midnight on the 14th, so one more day to declare if you're on the fence dear reader.

If you're wondering why I chose Indiana for the B & V stories, it's because I'm from there so have the most knowledge about places. I doubt I could convincingly describe NYC where most Marvel stories happen. Also. I thought the 50 States Initiative was a fun idea that didn't get explored enough.

Also, to @orklord 's point about Scenario A, I said young, but we could mix it up and do a mixed age group. It wouldn't have to be teens like Avengers Academy, though that was part of the inspiration. (Not that anything has been decided.)
Last edited January 15, 2024 4:29 am
Jan 16, 2024 5:17 am
Ok. So as I type this it is slightly after the deadline, and we have 5 players. It took a little interpretation of votes, but it seems Scenario B - Paragons is the winner, so that's what we will go with.

I'll start sending invites shortly, but I'll get things up and running in the morning.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.