Chapter 3: Stardust Waltz

Jan 24, 2024 12:43 am
Trade Era 1235, Day 135

Somewhere in the Main Belt, Draco system

The shuttle moved through the vast expanse of the Draco star system's main belt, a little bit over 1 Astronomical Unit from the star. Jil and Hank were huddled around the scanner console, eyes fixed on the pulsating lights, while Gabe's fingers danced across the controls, adjusting the scanner frequencies to filter out the debris cluttering the region.

"This belt is a real maze. If the Separatists are here, they could easily hide among these rocks." - he said

Meanwhile, aboard the approaching Sentinel, Captain Rael studied the gathered data on the bridge. They were just 45 minutes from a rendezvous with the Celestial Voyager shuttle. Lieutenant Douklan Paravides was at the helm, with Corbin McRogers sitting in an observation chair nearby. In a seat normally reserved for admirals and VIPs out of the chain of command, Corbin was being treated like a real guest of honor.

Suddenly, the unexpected appearance of a sleek starship near the shuttle disrupted the Celestial Voyager crew. Lights flickered as the long-range transport materialized a few hundred kilometers away.

Gabe peered through the magnified viewport. "What in the galaxy is that? Looks like an ITC ship. Wonder what they're doing out here."

As the starship stabilized, a communication channel crackled to life. "This is the ITC Bureau of Investigation vessel Alpha-Zero-Nine. We've just arrived from hyperspace near your position but will change course with your authorization. Apologies for the disturbance; I'm defrosting the human crew now," conveyed a metallic voice.

On the ITC vessel's bridge, a synthetic being efficiently processed data. Following standard procedures, it remotely accessed the cryo-pod chamber and initiated the thawing sequence for Special Agent Slaine Rowan and Senior Special Agent Alex Mercer.
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 24, 2024 1:37 am
Slaine pulled them self out of their cryopod, stretching out the cold and the settled in lethargy of the cryo-pod. Noticing an alert of awaiting communication Slaine started pulling on their ITC uniform and gathing their equipment.
And seeing Sr. Agent Alex do the same.
A breathy indistinguishable sound came from Slaine as they tried to speak, then "I'll take coms if you want to get the situation details and update me on the way." Their voice reaching it's normal tone at the end of the sentence.
Then, a few minutes later a communication came through from the ITC ship. "This is Special Agent Slaine Rowan of the ITC. Please confirm that you are the Celestial Voyager."
Jan 24, 2024 2:44 am
Oh bother, thought Corbin.

"You know Douklan, terrorist are one thing, but you know your day just went sideways when the Cops show up."
Jan 24, 2024 2:59 am
OOC:
OK, let's make sure I have this correct. Hank, Jil, and Gabe are still in the CV's cargo shuttle. We have made it to the edge of the asteroid field, and we have commenced our scans for the separatist vessel.

The military shuttle with Douklan and Corbin has already returned to the Sentinel, and the Sentinel is now on its way to join the CV's shuttle so do some serious scanning. Douklan and Corbin are actively on the Sentinel.

The CV itself is still back docked to the postal station.

I think I got that all correct. Assuming it is actually correct, the ITC courier ship has dropped out of space adjacent to what? The CV, the CV's shuttle, or the Sentinel? I just want to make sure so I can know who Slaine is talking to. If it is the CV's shuttle that Slaine is talking two, Hank will answer, but I want to make sure that is where Slaine is.
Last edited January 24, 2024 3:01 am
Jan 24, 2024 9:15 am
OOC:
You got that all correct. The ITC courier ship has dropped out of space adjacent to your shuttle.

I assume Slaine contacted the CV shuttle, but I will let @PhoenixScientist answer that for sure.
Jan 24, 2024 2:00 pm
First looking to Gabe to make sure he is OK with Hank responding, flips the switch on the communications panel. "Special Agent Rowan, this is the cargo shuttle of the Celestial Voyager, not the Celestial Voyager. The Celestial Voyager itself is dock a distance away at the postal relay station.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit? Have you come to join the fun in searching for the separatist vessel? We could always use the help."

Since Hank has no idea why there would be any ITC Special Agents here, separatists would seem to be a good reason. And, yes, he did fail to introduce himself as he is simply replying as a voice of the CV, not just himself.
Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm
OOC:
I'm assuming that, at 45 minutes' distance, we fairly quickly become aware of the ITC BoI ship Alpha Zero Nine.
Douklan snickers at Corbin's comment and then quickly blanks his face as Captain Rael turns at the noise.
Jan 24, 2024 4:11 pm
htech says:
OOC:
You got that all correct. The ITC courier ship has dropped out of space adjacent to your shuttle.

I assume Slaine contacted the CV shuttle, but I will let @PhoenixScientist answer that for sure.
OOC:
Isnt the CV right there? I would assume I would be mainly contacting the real ship, but probably on a open channel, both?
Last edited January 24, 2024 4:12 pm
Jan 24, 2024 6:21 pm
OOC:
While the Sentinal is fairly close (45 minutes away), I believe the CV is a bit more distant from the shuttle. Not sure why the synths in the courier made that mistake (possibly something to quickly investigate), but that will work to your benefit if you take advantage of it ...
Jan 24, 2024 6:37 pm
OOC:
oh ok I didn't get a good mental image.
Slaine would be able to tell the difference between the shuttle and a real starship, so I'll say they asked if it was the shuttle for theCV. But we'll keep moving

"No, we're here looking for some information about, possibly, a separate issue which we think you may have so e knowledge. If you would be like to dock we will keep our scanners workig while we talk."
Jan 24, 2024 7:02 pm
Hank looks at Gabe to get his direction. He then says, "So, your not here to help with the search for the separatists?"
OOC:
I am assuming that Gabe is on-board with not pissing off ITC Investigators, and that they have the authority to demand we dock. So, since they are giving us the chance to do it "voluntarily", we will do so.
While waiting for the response, Hank sighs and once Gabe gives direction, Jil moves the shuttle to dock with the courier.
Jan 24, 2024 9:56 pm
daryen says:
OOC:
I am assuming that Gabe is on-board with not pissing off ITC Investigators, and that they have the authority to demand we dock. So, since they are giving us the chance to do it "voluntarily", we will do so.
OOC:
Spot on.

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 24, 2024 10:31 pm
OOC:
The CV is 2 AU (2-3 days) away from you. The synth choose to leave hyperspace 1 AU from the Draco star, we don't know why, but it couldn't have scanned the system from hyperspace to detect the CV or your ships.

So its not that uncommon to leave hyperspace somewhere and then move using conventional physics in real space.

Just to give you an example, when you arrived from hyperspace a couple of days ago, the Celestial Voyager was 1.5 AU from the star, I think.
Please, go ahead, Hank. I'm not a good talker. Would rather let you handle it, last time I talked with somebody from the Bureau I was almost arrested by mistake.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
OOC:
You or Slaine can also describe the docking and the next steps. It's up to the PCs.
htech sent a note to PhoenixScientist
Jan 24, 2024 10:38 pm
In the Sentinel bridge, Lieutenant Douklan and the crew detects the ITC Bureau ship and the CV shuttle approaching it.
Jan 25, 2024 12:05 am
Hank asks Jil to go ahead and dock with the courier. Once the docking is completed, Hank radios over to the courier, "We have finished the docking process."
OOC:
I am assuming Slaine and Alex are coming over to the shuttle.
When the door opens and Slaine is standing there, Hank is ready and says, "Welcome to our little shuttle, Special Agent Rowan. My name is Hank Heron, this is Jil Broadenspec, and this is Gabe Reyes." He motions appropriately when introducing the others. "Since you obviously aren't here about ..."
OOC:
You know what? I'm gonna just go ahead and do this, just to keep things interesting. Please ignore it or delete it as you will. I am assuming Alex was involved in the investigation of the company Hank worked at and was part of the team that interrogated him before letting him go. I am also assuming Hank's name was legally cleared, though his reputation was pretty heavily smeared locally. He only calls him "Agent" because that's what he remembers and he doesn't know he is now a "Sr. Special Agent". It is not an insult.
As Slaine steps forward, Alex, who wasn't completely visible when Hank started speaking, follows and comes fully into view. As he does so, Hank interrupts himself upon seeing Alex. After collecting himself for a moment, Hank continues, "And welcome Agent Mercer. This is a completely unexpected surprise. I guess I should thank you for helping me get through that issue back on Tulsoma, even if you didn't need to make it so painful. I see you've moved on to bigger things?"

Now addressing both, he finishes, "Anyway, as I was about to say, you obviously aren't here about the separatists. Why are you looking for the Celestial Voyager, and how may we help you?"
Jan 25, 2024 12:16 am
OOC:
Don't worry, I am a "Yes, and..." kind of GM. You can write anything that doesn't contradicts something already written and I will go along. This is clearly something that falls into that "doesn't contradicts" category, so we are going with that.

My only request is for us to, somehow, try to use more in-game information and content and less OOC next time. (Example: that Alex part =))

Slaine also has some (extra) information about your case, so I will let them answer before Alex does.
Jan 25, 2024 12:20 am
OOC:
I'll leave that to @htech to confirm.
Jan 25, 2024 12:22 am
OOC:
Confirmed. I think we posted at the same time, so see the message above
Jan 25, 2024 12:52 am
Slaine is going to see the tension and cut in, maybe trading tension for some awkwardness.
"Hank Heron. I have been informed that the previous charges have been removed from your record and you have been proven innocent." The pull up the records on their datapad and hold it out to Hank. "And I believe your, I assume former, girlfriend is now convicted."
Last edited January 25, 2024 12:52 am
Jan 25, 2024 1:13 am
Giving Hank a minute to check over the information, Slaine continues, "We actually had some questions about an.... Individual... We believe to be traveling with you. Going by the name of Ryan Carter."
Jan 25, 2024 1:58 am
Hank replies, "She was 'former' the moment she tried to frame me. She stole my heart, then stabbed me in the back. But that was a while ago and life moves on.

"Yes, Ryan is part of the crew of the Celestial Voyager. He's the ship medic. He joined a few months ago. He's been doing a great job thus far. What is he accused of doing?"
Hank pauses for a moment, then adds, "What do you mean by 'going by'?"
Jan 25, 2024 2:50 am
Reaching for their datapad, and receiving it back Slaine answers, "Alfredo Hernandez is a wanted criminal for, at minimum, practicing medicine without a licence and performing over a hundred operations under false pretenses. He is also suspected, and highly likely, of being involved in human cloning. Possibly worse." Then turning the datapad back shows an image of Alfredo Hernandez, who the crew would recognize as Ryan Carter.
https://i.imgur.com/ynuMWE5.jpg
Jan 25, 2024 3:52 am
After reading the report Hank says, "Yeah, that's him. Damn..."

Hank bites his lip for a moment, looks at Jil and Gabe, and says, "Well, that could clear up a mystery we have. Seems that someone on our ship tried to kill us with a hacked navigation system on our shuttle. If Ryan is really a bad dude, that could link up. Whoever did it cleaned up their tracks in the logs in the shuttle's systems. We're going to check out the ship's logs when we get back, but obviously that hasn't happened yet. We haven't said anything yet to anyone else, not even the captain, because we don't know who did it."

Taking a breath he says, "It's hard to process. He seemed like such a great guy, too."

After a few seconds of thought, he also asks, "What is worse than human cloning? Some kind of human experimentation?" Hank gives a little shudder at the thought.
Jan 25, 2024 4:08 am
Making a quick look at Agent Alex, then back to Hank."Actually, something like that."...
Would you both be willing to, and this is completely voluntary, have a full exam in our medical facility. For your safety."
Jan 25, 2024 4:25 am
OOC:
There are three of us.
"There is a lot going on right now. It would seem a rather inopportune time for our annual physical. We would need to know what we are being checked for. And why."
Jan 25, 2024 5:08 am
"What I can say is limited at the moment, but what I can say is Alfredo Hernandez may have the ability to implant devices that may augment or override a person's perception and decision making." Then, with more of the sincerity of a medical professional than professionalism of an ITC agent,"Mostly, I just want to make sure you're both ok."
You can see that Special Agent Slaine Rowan may have a vibroblade and blaster at their hip, and some standard issue body armor, but they also have a medic's pack on their back.
Last edited January 25, 2024 5:10 am
Jan 25, 2024 5:48 am
"Really? How? Look, Jil has only been on the crew for a couple of weeks, so she hasn't said anything to Ryan, uh, Alfredo?, uh ... whatever. She hasn't had a chance to say much to him other than 'hello'. And, uh, he has only been on the crew for barely half a year, so he hasn't had much chance to rip people open and put them back together again. He's only a nurse, as far as we knew, so he wouldn't have been doing anything extreme to anyone anyway."
OOC:
Actually, that brings up a minor question: Assuming we did have a full surgeon. Are the medical facilities on the Celestial Voyager able to support an actual surgery? I mean you can always do a "field surgery", but I doubt we would have that good of medical facilities on a tramp freighter. I figure for anything too serious, we just freeze them until we can get to an actual hospital. Is that understanding correct?

Also, I'm going to NPC Gabe for a moment for expediency. Please change it if I'm wrong.
Hank turns to Gabe and asks, "Has he done anything other than treat minor injuries or illness in his time on the ship?"

Gabe says, "No, not that I'm aware of. Honestly, I think he's been mostly been happily bored due to the lack of anything serious happening."

Hank turns back to Slaine and continues, "So, I do apologize for being skeptical, but I still don't see the threat here. How is he going to take us over? Can he do it easily by simply drugging us? Does he have to insert something into us? Does he have to rip our brains out? Would we even know something has happened?" Hank stops for a second and regroups. He then says, "I'm sorry; that was a bit much. But having someone insist we dock, march onto our shuttle, say our medic is a mad scientist who turns people into puppets, now please get on this examination table while we probe you, is a bit much to take. I don't think asking for more of an explanation than 'Trust me' is out of line. Please see it from our perspective. Would you believe you if you were in our position?"

EDIT:
"Plus, you know, we were ordered by the captain of the ITC Navy ship Sentinel to perform sensor sweeps on the asteroid field for actively hostile separatists who are potentially holding hostages. Which we are no longer doing on account of being docked. So, we really are under a time crunch here and will need very good reason to not get back to what the Navy wants us to do. Actually, if you want, we can just get everyone on a conference call so we can get our priorities all straightened out."
Last edited January 25, 2024 5:57 am
Jan 25, 2024 6:21 am
daryen says:
OOC:
Actually, that brings up a minor question: Assuming we did have a full surgeon. Are the medical facilities on the Celestial Voyager able to support an actual surgery? I mean you can always do a "field surgery", but I doubt we would have that good of medical facilities on a tramp freighter. I figure for anything too serious, we just freeze them until we can get to an actual hospital. Is that understanding correct?

Also, I'm going to NPC Gabe for a moment for expediency. Please change it if I'm wrong.
OOC:
Slaine is only working with information about the CV that is given to the ITC, and even if it doesnt have a full medical facility on the plans. Slaine deals with enough things they know that sometimes captains... forget... to report ship modifications.

"I understand your apprehension, and I won't force you to do anything.
Yes, Alfredo Hernandez likely has the technology for implants to override one's control of their body. He, while unlicensed, is a skilled surgeon who has performed many many surgeries. He was discovered and as the outroar began because of it, he fled Eclipse."

Slaine glances out the nearest viewport, If one is good at insight, and noticing word choice, you can see that Slaine hasn't confirmed that the ITC for sure knows that Alfredo Hernandez has this technology, but believes the treat of it.
"I have our ships synths scanning the area for any sign of any unregistered presence, and will continue to do so for as long as you remain on board. If that is not good enough for the Sentinel, I will personally handle any complaints.
But in the meantime I would prefer if Alfredo Hernandez did not know we were looking for him. Not until we can meet in person.
Please."
Last edited January 25, 2024 6:38 am
Jan 25, 2024 6:29 am
OOC:
To be clear, neither Hank nor I am trying to be a jerk or be difficult here. It's just that he, and the others, are being asked to do something personally invasive with little justification for it, while they are supposed to be doing something else. So, Hank isn't buying into it. Not yet, anyway.

I mean, if it was just a finger prick for a blood test or a 15 minute scan, that'd be one thing. But a full body, invasive examination is quite another thing. A big ask requires a big justification.
Jan 25, 2024 7:14 am
OOC:
No problems at all. It makes complete sense.
Not a bad idea.
Slaine watches Hank and Gabe glance at each other. "How about a compromise of a scan? Fully hands off.
We should be able to confirm what we need from that."
Jan 25, 2024 9:15 am
Jil hangs back with an unconcerned expression. Her time in the navy left her pretty immune to "spot examinations".

Last edited January 25, 2024 9:36 am
Jan 25, 2024 9:46 am
OOC:
Assuming Slaine is scanning the crew using portable scans, I am rolling Medicine DC12. This roll is always done by the GM in secret and never gives XP. A negative result (not Synth) can be real or false, if Slaine failed that roll. A true result (Synth) can only be given if its a Bio-Synth and Slaine passed the check, so it is always correct.

If a full scan in an adequate facility is done, there is no need to roll. It's always considered a success.
Slaine takes their medkit and proceeds to scan the CV crew. All results are negative for Bio-Synths processing cores and they seem to be human.

Regarding the medical facilities, the crew knows that it's a possible component for a starship, but neither of yours, nor the Sentinel, have it. During ship construction, they would have to trade range, speed or cargo capacity for that and it was deemed not worth by the original builders. So, anything too serious in the Celestial Voyager, you stabilize, cryo freeze and wait for a hospital. The nearest places for that full examination requested by Slaine would be Draco I and III orbital stations. The one at Draco III is owned by ITC, unlike the one at Draco I, so it would be easier there and it was probably the facility mentioned by Slaine.

Rolls

Slaine Rowan: Medicine DC12 - Hank - (1d20+7)

Slaine Rowan: Medicine DC12 - Jil - (1d20+7)

Slaine Rowan: Medicine DC12- Gabe - (1d20+7)

Jan 25, 2024 1:31 pm
Hank has no problem with a scan. It's the full probe he does. I'm assuming Gabe is similar.
Jan 25, 2024 3:09 pm
To Slaine's counter proposal, Hank silently checks with his companions and replies, "That is acceptable. Thank you for understanding."

Once that is done, Hank asks, "Now that we have been scanned and now that we know you need to get to Ryan, how do you propose doing it? We are a couple days away from the Celestial Voyager and the Sentinel expects us to assist in this search. I recommend that you reach out to the Sentinel to get their input."
Jan 25, 2024 4:29 pm
Slaine notices Jill's gestures, and responds with acknowledgement and a hold position.

Once everyone was scanned Slaine would relax a little. "I want you to know I appreciate your cooperation and patience. Let's head to the coms to get a hold of the Sentinel, so we can make a plan, and I'll explain why I have been acting a bit strange on the way."
OOC:
I'm going to say Slaine and Alex had a little sidebar so I'm not giving this out without permission.
"Back on Eclipse I followed another Alfredo Hernandez who, upon noticing he was being trained, incinerated himself with an internal explosive.
We believe he was a cloned Biological Synth.
And either the one on the Celestial Voyager is too, or knows about or aided in their creation."
Last edited January 25, 2024 4:31 pm
Jan 25, 2024 6:13 pm
OOC:
Let me try this again ...

I am going to make the assumption that Biological Synths are not common knowledge.
Hank says, "Now you're telling us that there are multiple 'Ryans' out there? Wow. You meet someone who seems like a decent guy, then find out that not only is he bad news, but there are multiple of them. Weird.

"And would you please explain what you mean by 'Biological Synth'? I am familiar with Synths, as our ship has some to manage it during jump. But what is a Biological Synth?"
Jan 25, 2024 6:19 pm
"To roughly summarize. A Biological synth is a cloned human body with a synch core replacing its nervous system. It could appear to be human in every way, except controlled by someone in the same way we control a Synth."
Jan 25, 2024 6:57 pm
Hank stops and looks back to Jil and Gabe again. With a nod from Gabe, Hank says, "... Well, that's interesting. I have no idea if this is relevant or not, but we were asked to 'buy' a cargo load of synth cores to get them off-world from Draco I. Considering that Draco I has crime-coded mines, we made excuses and never got back to them. We thought there was something fishy going on there, but this opens up a lot more possibilities for bad things to be going on."

They then continue walking. Slowly another thought forms in his mind. "You said that a Biological Synth is the result of putting a synth core into a cloned human body. Is there any reason it needs to be a cloned human body? Could it be done with an 'occupied' human body?"

After saying that, he sheepishly looks back at Jil and says, "Yeah, I've just become this wealth of dark paranoia, huh?"
Last edited January 25, 2024 6:59 pm
Jan 25, 2024 11:59 pm
"That ... Very well could be helpful. We may need to look in on that. Who was it that was trying to hire you to smuggle the synth cores?
I'm more interested in suppliers than smugglers."

"Honestly, it would be extremely complicated to design, but it is theoretically possible. Several implants along the brain and the brain stem could do it."

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 26, 2024 12:40 am
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
"Somebody supposedly working with the Ironsides. But there are many synth suppliers in Draco I. The whole planet exports not only metallic alloys but also robots, synths and vehicles." says Gabe, giving them the Ironsides panflet.
OOC:
See chapter 2A for the panflet.
By the way, does it needs to be implants with an existing nervous system? What if the central nervous system is just surgically removed? Wouldn't the resulting body be the same as a cloned one without the CNS?
Jan 26, 2024 12:50 am
"It's fully possible. It would be slightly more complicated than using a new-grown body, but on the scale of what we're talking about. Yes, very possible. "
Jan 26, 2024 12:54 am
By that time, the group arrived at the comm station and Slaine were able to connect with the Sentinel.

"Sentinel. This is Captain Rael speaking."

The whole Sentinel's bridge was also listening to that conversation between the agent and the Navy captain.
Jan 26, 2024 1:13 am
OOC:
I dont know that I would be broadcasting that whole conversation. I did assume we weren't being overheard.
"Captain Rael. This is Special Agent Slaine Rowan, aiding Senior Special Agent Alex Mercer. Transmitting credentials now." Then after a moment, "First I would like to say that we were informed of your search and are scanning as we speak. But while that is in progress I need to inform you of a possible cerulean level threat. If I could transmit the details to you personally." After getting that secure channel Slaine will transmit the report of their investigation, making a note of the ways to detect Bio-Synths.
"It is likely that the crew of the Celestial Voyager is infiltrated and in danger."
Last edited January 26, 2024 1:14 am
Jan 26, 2024 1:29 am
OOC:
The captain did talk to you on "the main screen". It was not a choice from Slaine's side. That's her standard procedure, but she complied with your request regarding the files.

The conversation with Hank, Jil and Gabe was not broadcast, just the one with the Captain and just for her Bridge crew.
"Thank you for the information Special Agent. Please give me a moment to process this, but continue scanning. " and she cuts the connection, leaving Slaine with the shuttle's crew.
In the Sentinel's bridge, Captain Rael calls Douklan to her office for a private conversation. After the door closes, she shows him the file.

"You are our Liason Officer at the Celestial Voyager. It's your turf, you met them and spent the last few days there. What do you think?"
Jan 26, 2024 2:01 am
OOC:
I'm confused, how can they have overheard the conversation if we weren't at the screen yet?
Jan 26, 2024 2:51 am
OOC:
They didn't hear our internal conversation. But the entire bridge did hear you comments to the captain, outside the part you sent confidentially.

Too bad they don't know about the shuttle sabotage.
Jan 26, 2024 3:40 am
OOC:
OK. I think I understand.
Jan 26, 2024 10:26 am
OOC:
Yup. Daryen is right.

You can visualize this like having a conversation with a captain in a Star Trek's ship bridge. Everyone on the bridge hears it.
Quote:
Too bad they don't know about the shuttle sabotage.
Yet. You are free to tell, when you feel its appropriate. Corbin can also contact you or vice-versa.
Jan 26, 2024 3:22 pm
OOC:
Do we have personal communication devices? So, normally for something "formal", we're gonna do a ship-to-ship communication. However, if we want to do a personal one-on-one, do we still have our own little "cell phones" or "communicators" that allow for that? If we do, are they within range? Or, does all communication have to take place ship-to-ship?
Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm
OOC:
Unh... Without satellite amplification or other hardware, let's say that a standard comlink has a range of something about 50 kilometers. This range is decreased drastically in dense urban zones due to the presence of high levels of electromagnetic interference, though this could be circumvented by the use of wired transmission networks or larger radio.

So, for the distance between you and Corbin... I guess it has to be ship-to-ship.

Jan 26, 2024 4:05 pm
OOC:
That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm doing a quick initial response from Corbin to get the conversation started. Hope everyone is cool with that.
Hank requests permission to make a follow-up call to Corbin. Assuming it is permitted, Hank opens a link to the Sentinel. When the link is made, he asks to be connected to Corbin. When the connection is finished, he says, "Hey, Corbin, are you at least kind of isolated? Or at least being ignored?"

Corbin responds, "Yeah, I've been kinda ignored in the shuffle going on. Whatcha got?"

Hank says, "You know this whole thing about the Celestial Voyager being in danger? I think the threat is real. When we reached the orbital station of Draco I, we discovered out navigation system had been tampered with and we almost plowed into the station! We corrected fast enough that we apparently didn't raise any alarms at the station, but it could have been bad. That means someone on the Voyager screwed with the shuttle's systems. We did a thorough diagnostic and it appears to have only been the nav system, and we completely replaced the software just to be safe, so we're good for now. But who knows what they might have done to systems on the Voyager itself. They could indeed be in danger.

"I'm just not sure who to tell. We can't tell anyone on the Voyager right now, as the the perpetrator would know someone is onto them and the crew would be in more danger. But we need to do a complete sweep of the ship's systems before it goes anywhere."
Jan 26, 2024 7:50 pm
"Bloody hell, not my ship", thinks Corbin. "Hank, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to get with Captain Rael and see about getting back to the Voyager."
OOC:
From the flow of the conversation, I think Douklan would have his conversation with Captain Rael about the same time Hank is talking to me. I'd be heading to the Captain's office to get Douklan as soon as Hank filled me in.
Jan 26, 2024 7:59 pm
"You are welcome. I hope you can get some things figured out because I'm stumped here. Before you go, here are the time periods to look at in the Voyager's logs."

Before Corbin moves on, Hank will send over the times to look for in the Celestial Voyager's logs. These are based on the "holes" in the shuttles logs.
Last edited January 26, 2024 8:00 pm
Jan 26, 2024 8:53 pm
Captain Rael finishes telling Douklan about the situation. "You never get just one meteorite..." Douklan murmurs the old Destroid expression about bad luck and shakes his head. "Captain...." he sighs. "I don't think anyone was subverted since I came aboard the Celestial Voyager...or at least I didn't notice any change in behavior or activity with anyone there. I was paying pretty close attention to the people I worked with, because I was trying to get a feel for each of them, how they work together, and how I could contribute without stepping on toes, so I feel assured in saying that. But as to before I came aboard? I have no idea. We'd have to ask someone who's been on the ship longer, like Engineer McRogers."

He thinks for a bit, and continues on the assumption that he can continue to speak freely. "I don't see where this issue falls in the priority relative to the possible Separatist threat...unless you feel that they are related somehow? What do we know about this fugitive surgeon? Does he have Separatist sympathies?"
Jan 26, 2024 9:22 pm
OOC:
When Captain Rael gets back to Slaine they will offer to keep the Alpha-Zero-Nine scanning, to keep Rael's mission progressing, out of professional respect, and (CV crew willing) accompany Hank and Jill and Gabe back to the Celestial Voyager in their shuttle to make sure they aren't under threat
and probably try to arrest Alfredo Hernandez.
Putting this in OOC since it doesnt quite fit in the timeline but maybe the info will help story advancement.
Last edited January 26, 2024 9:23 pm
Jan 26, 2024 10:43 pm
OOC:
We're cool with an extra passenger. In fact, with any luck, we'll be able to pick up Corbin and Douklan, too. Not sure how many the shuttle is able to carry without issues.
Jan 28, 2024 12:31 am
Trade Era 1235, Day 135

The Sentinel, somewhere in the Main Belt, Draco system

Douklan says:
... But as to before I came aboard? I have no idea. We'd have to ask someone who's been on the ship longer, like Engineer McRogers. I don't see where this issue falls in the priority relative to the possible Separatist threat...unless you feel that they are related somehow? What do we know about this fugitive surgeon? Does he have Separatist sympathies?"
"Honestly, the only concrete thing in those files is medical fraud from a suicide bomber. For all I know, this Ryan could be a cousin or even a twin brother. The remainder is just speculation.

On the other hand, I have a hostage situation from armed Separatists who shot you and my Marines. That's concrete, that's real, that's urgent, that's what I care about. So if they are worried about something else, okay, I wanna get those cops out of my head and away from here. Ideally, their long range transport would help us with the search but even that I'm willing to let go.

So let's talk to Corbin, please call him here. I will stay quiet, just listening. Check with him his priorities, and let's find out if this is more urgent for the Navy or not. Either way, they are civilians, and free to go. But we are not."
OOC:
Just to be clear, I (the GM) am totally fine with all of you getting back. Rael sees things differently, so we may need some Persuasion rolls there, if you wanna get some extra help from the Navy and/or Douklan going with you. If Corbin wanna just leave alone in your own shuttle, no need to roll.

After talking to Corbin, we will talk to Slaine/Hank. PhoenixScientist OOC suggestion will be a good comprise for her, so if things progress before I'm able to post again, Slaine can go ahead, Rael will accept their suggestion. I didn't write it here because of the timeline, as the conversation with Corbin will come first. Just a quick reminder that Alex pilots Alpha-0-9 in real space, the Synths are only active during jump and emergencies in civilian vessels, so he has to stay if the ship does.

Regarding the Passenger shuttle, it supports 2 crew + 6 passengers for 1 week. It's like a "first class airplane" ticket, though, with just food, air scrubbers and comfortable seats where you can sleep. A trip taking a couple of days is ok there, but not something that you will really look forward to.

Its unlike the CV, which has 12 crew cabins (small individual bedrooms with a private bathroom and several other amenities, including a cryo-pod), where you could really live and travel for a while.
Jan 28, 2024 12:51 am
OOC:
I just didn't know the capacity of the shuttle. So we can easily take all of us back without issue. Perfect!

As for priorities, the separatists should be Rael's primary focus. That is absolutely correct and shouldn't be changed. The only thing we should ask for is Douglas (so he can be involved.)

I just hope no one dies when sh-, err, uh, stuff goes down!
daryen sent a note to htech
Jan 28, 2024 1:11 am
OOC:
I assume a little sunspace jump over these distances isnt done/feasible?
I assume the ITC ship also has shuttles, but probably just as small/fast?
Or if there was scanning to do towards the Celestial Voyager we could bring it part way.
Last edited January 28, 2024 1:16 am
Jan 28, 2024 1:28 am
OOC:
Quote:
I assume a little hyperspace jump over these distances isnt done/feasible?
Can't be done in this game. Hyperspace is just interstellar. For the rest, you use (admittedly very advanced) real space engines. Every travel takes days/weeks, I use real physics formulas for your constant 2 or 3G accelerations. Space is huuuge.
Quote:
I assume the ITC ship also has shuttles, but probably just as small/fast?
Actually it doesn't. It's just a little bit bigger than a shuttle itself. It has 2-3 crew cabins, a very fast (3x) jump drive, a couple of cargo holds for supplies, and that's basically it. Its streamlined to land and take off from planets, as well, so I didn't put a shuttle there.

I was (heavily) inspired by GURPS Space ship design rules, with a couple of minor changes, so there's actually some balancing work behind the scenes. I designed the ITC ship with a purpose: fast hyperdrives to pursue fugitives. Everything else I had to give up or put a little bit less.
Jan 28, 2024 1:31 am
OOC:
I imagine your two main options are:

1) Leave the courier here to help scan for a while. You come back with us on the shuttle. I would guess Alex would have to stay with the courier, but you would come with us.

2) We all get on/stay on the courier and it takes us back.

The big disadvantage of #2 is that everyone would know something is up. With #1, no one will know about the surprise at the end.

EDIT: In light of the cross-post, it looks like #2 is really just both ships going back. Which is actually worse.
Last edited January 28, 2024 1:34 am
Jan 28, 2024 1:34 am
OOC:
I see it the same, also #1 keeps the Navy happy, That's a good thing.
So it looks like it's the shuttle for us...?
Jan 28, 2024 1:39 am
OOC:
That's what I'm thinking. When the time comes, Hank will also ask if Douklan can keep his armor for the trip, just for some extra protection. Probably not, but I'm gonna ask!

We'll also have to come up with a plan to lure everyone out into the open before surprising them with drawn guns. Then Hank and crew will have to apologize profusely to our captain for the deception.
Jan 28, 2024 1:47 am
OOC:
I assume you can send a message when we get close. A "meeting" would be fine, as long as Alfredo doesn't have a datapad, and hopefully not a weapon.
Assuming you can trust your captain which... We as players can, but Slain will have to take your word on it.
Jan 28, 2024 1:49 am
OOC:
Hey, hey. Let's plan that in game. Hold on a sec, you two. =D
Jan 29, 2024 4:36 pm
OOC:
Sorry; I was assuming that Corbin would just enter the conversation.
Douklan goes to find Corbin, and is somewhat surprised to find him standing there when he opens the door. "Corbin! Good, come in."
He turns back around and gestures to a seat, then takes one himself. "We were attacked by Separatist forces on Nocturna, and you stopped the communication between Draco I and a Separatist ship hidden in the Belt. You know all this." Douklan sighs. "You also know the Special Agent's accusation that the Celestial Voyager has been infiltrated by a mad scientist who may have subverted one or more of the crew and passengers on board that ship. I wanted to see if you've had any sense of this happening - if you've a sense of anybody who you have reason to suspect has been subverted. I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on whether these two crises are in any way related."
Last edited January 29, 2024 4:37 pm
Jan 29, 2024 7:06 pm
OOC:
As far as I can tell, I've only heard 1 line about the Voyager being infiltrated from Slaine and then Hank's account of losing Nav. The rest of the conversation was outside of Corbin's hearing.
"Well, I heard that agent say infiltrated and Hank just said someone screwed their shuttle's Nav. Not sure about any Mad Scientist thing and ,as much as I'd like to be back on the Voyager to clear this up, there's a limit to how much damage someone can do as long as the ship stays put. I think we should focus on the Separatist for the moment and keep the 'infiltration' quiet until we can point all of our resources back to the Voyager."
Jan 31, 2024 3:23 pm
Quote:
I think we should focus on the Separatist for the moment and keep the 'infiltration' quiet until we can point all of our resources back to the Voyager."
"I agree. But the civilians are free. Let's contact the shuttle and see what they want. Either way, thank you for the assistance, Mr Corbin." Said the captain, while she pressed a couple of buttons in her table.

"Comms, please contact the shuttle. Put me through to the civilians and Special Agent Slaine."

"Yes, sir
." - replied the comms officer.

Less than a minute later, everyone was connected through a secure link using a tight laser beam. Corbin and Douklan were also participating through the speakerphone.
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 31, 2024 5:02 pm
OOC:
Hank defers to Agent Slaine for the opening. He'll contribute after that. Slaine is the only one that can offer the services of his courier, Hank would never presume to do that, though he might suggest it along the way.
Jan 31, 2024 6:26 pm
Special Agent Slaine Rowan is already waiting by the comms when the link activated.
"Captain Rael. Thank you for getting back to me. I understand that you have an operation underway. If you would be willing to allow the civilian assets to escort me in their shuttle I will keep this vessel scanning the area so that your operation can continue unhindered. If so I would appreciate a search route that would bring us closer to the orbital station, and the Celestial Voyager, to reduce shuttle time. But if that's already been searched I would understand."
Jan 31, 2024 7:27 pm
"Thank you for the cooperation, Slaine. Of course, they are free to do as they please." - answered the captain
Jan 31, 2024 7:34 pm
Hank will ask, "Is it OK if we come to the Sentinel to pick up Corbin? Also, is it possible for Lt. Paravides to accompany us? I think it will help with whatever happens when we get back if he is available to help represent the Navy."
OOC:
I thought his rank was Lt. If I am wrong, please put in the proper rank.
Jan 31, 2024 7:55 pm
Quote:
"Is it OK if we come to the Sentinel to pick up Corbin?"
"Yes. Up to you and him" - says the captain
Quote:
"Also, is it possible for Lt. Paravides to accompany us? I think it will help with whatever happens when we get back if he is available to help represent the Navy."
"I don't think so. There are no reasons I would divert our best pilot away from this search." - answered the captain, waiting for a counter argument.
OOC:
Hank or whoever wants the PC to convince Captain Rael to let Douklan go, based on this or similar arguments (Navy representation / liason), roll Persuasion DC 22. If you pass, he goes. =)

Other arguments or context may have a higher or lower DC. You will have to roll anyway.
Jan 31, 2024 8:35 pm
OOC:
Honestly, I don't disagree with Rael's sentiments. It makes perfect sense. I am just bringing it up so that we don't completely sideline the player. If he's gonna get his own cool adventure fighting the separatists, that's cool too!

Also, there is absolutely no reason for me to roll for Persuasion for Hank. I have a modifier of +0 and DC 22. And Slaine doesn't even have the skill, so his odds are even worse.
Hank continues, "My concern is that there may be larger issues afoot. As I told Corbin, our shuttle's navigation system had been hacked. Because of that hack, we nearly impacted the Draco I orbital station. Originally we thought someone was trying to kill us. But then another option was realized: What if we weren't the targets? What if they didn't even care about us? What if the purpose was a terrorist attack on Draco I itself? I have no idea how this fits together, or even if it does fit together. Maybe the idea was just to reduce the crew and the target was irrelevant. We don't know. But we can't even try to know without going back and finding out."
OOC:
On the off chance a natural 20 works anyway, I'll throw a roll. Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to leave Douklan behind. :-(

EDIT: At least it wasn't an embarrassing attempt. It was a reasonable argument that just wasn't convincing enough.
EDIT: After the failed persuasion attempt, Hank finishes by saying, "Are you able to come back with us Corbin. We're really gonna need your help sweeping the systems to make sure there aren't other presents hanging around!"
Last edited January 31, 2024 8:38 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Persuation DC22 - (1d20+0)

(15) = 15

Jan 31, 2024 8:59 pm
OOC:
I have no Piloting so I can't help there, and No Persuasion, so I can't help there ...
And I don't think trying to use the Aid action with Intimidation would go great.
Last edited January 31, 2024 9:00 pm
Jan 31, 2024 9:30 pm
OOC:
Heh. Now that I think about it, we're really going to need Douklan when we get going again because we might be rather pilot challenged going foward ...
Jan 31, 2024 11:07 pm
"I understand, but that won't be possible. There are hostages from the ITC in that ship. The Navy and its officers will stay."
Quote:
After the failed persuasion attempt, Hank finishes by saying, "Are you able to come back with us Corbin?We're really gonna need your help sweeping the systems to make sure there aren't other presents hanging around!"
Tha captain waits for Corbin's answer.
OOC:
If Douklan wanna be a civilian, though... Its not a good timing to resign but you're not at war, so it's a possibility.

Either way, everyone will have an adventure. This is not an scripted computer game =)
Jan 31, 2024 11:38 pm
OOC:
It doesn't have to be terminal. The Celestial Voyager isn't going anywhere until the Sentinel is ready to go. So, while we may have to split up now, it doesn't mean we won't get back together when the ship hunt is done one way or the other.

Also, depending on how violent our conflict ends up being, we're gonna have to do some repairs anyway ...
Feb 1, 2024 12:35 am
Considering how much red tape Slaine deals with, they think this went well.
At least... As well as could be realistically hoped.
They will try and see if there is a route for scanning that brings us closer to the space dock to minimize shuttle time
... They may need help on that one.
Last edited February 1, 2024 12:37 am
Feb 1, 2024 1:24 am
OOC:
That's a good question. Can we scan for a while as we head back, or is it more of a situation where we just turn around and leave?

Hank wouldn't mind helping out more, but he is worried about the Voyager and the crew now. However, if Corbin doesn't want to go, we may have to wait some. We're gonna need the engineer to help check everything.
Feb 1, 2024 9:10 am
OOC:
Turn around and leave.
htech sent a note to daryen
Feb 1, 2024 12:59 pm
"Hank, I'll be at the airlock, pick me up on the way back to the Voyager."
Feb 1, 2024 2:37 pm
daryen sent a note to htech
OOC:
I'm going to assume that we are to leave now, then.
With the decision made, Hank responds, "We will do so. We will be there in approximately (travel time+10) minutes."

Once the connection is closed, Hank turns to Slaine. "Looks like we are going to head back. Are you still wanting to come with us?"

Assuming he says he is, turns to Alex and says, "Despite my frosty reception, it was good to see you. Thank you again for helping me get through that stuff on Tulsoma. I do appreciate it, even if I don't always show it."

Turning back to Slaine he says, "Do you need any help bringing your stuff with you?" If so, Jil and Gabe immediately head back to the shuttle and Hank goes with Slaine to get their stuff. If not, the three head back to the shuttle and wait for Slaine. Once Slain and their stuff are on board, they undock and Jil flies them over to the Sentinel.
OOC:
Hank has a plan for how to get everyone to meet them in the cargo bay. It's not a great plan, but it is at least a starting point that everyone can pick apart. :-) It does rely on some deception, though.

EDIT: Fixed the pronouns. Sorry about that.
Last edited February 1, 2024 5:20 pm
Feb 1, 2024 4:09 pm
Slaine assures Hank that they don't need any help and probably arrives to the airlock fifteen minutes after Jill, Gabe and Hank with a single, but large-ish metal-shelled suitcase and attached what looks like a tall courier's-tube.
"Ready to go."
Feb 1, 2024 8:25 pm
"Sorry to see you go, Corbin. But of course you've got to look after your crew." Douklan somberly shakes Corbin's hand farewell. Then he grins and slaps the engineer gently on the shoulder. "But this is only temporary, after all. When we get these reprobates sorted, I'll see you back on the Voyager for the next leg of our journey!"
Feb 2, 2024 3:50 am
'Absolutely, and watch your six, these nut jobs puts some serious planning into whatever their doing. Just because they couldn't predict our arrival, doesn't mean they didn't plan for something like us. See you on the other side."

Corbin heads to the airlock to meet the Voyager's shuttle.
Feb 2, 2024 5:31 am
As the shuttle approaches the Sentinel, they hail the Sentinel and request permission to dock. The Sentinel replies with where to dock and Jil expertly moves the shuttle over and docks. Once Corbin is on board, they radio back to the Sentinel that they are ready to leave and undock when given permission. As they prepare to go, Hank says, "Celestial Voyager shuttle now departing back to the postal station. Once we resolve the situation there, we will send word to let you know the outcome. Good luck on your hunt."

And at that, they head back to the Celestial Voyager, hoping for the best.
OOC:
On the way back, Hank will bring up how they want to handle things when they get back, and what they want to tell the captain now. Once we have at least the formation of a plan, they need to reach out to the Celestial Voyager. But I figure we need to make sure of this part before jumping into the planning and communication.

Sr. Special Agent Alex Mercer

htech

Feb 2, 2024 9:41 am
Quote:
Hank turns to Alex and says, "Despite my frosty reception, it was good to see you. Thank you again for helping me get through that stuff on Tulsoma. I do appreciate it, even if I don't always show it."
"You're welcome, don't worry. Good luck on solving this case with Slaine on the Celestial Voyager. I will see you all soon. "
Sr. Special Agent Alex Mercer
Feb 2, 2024 9:45 am
Trade Era 1235, Day 135

Somewhere in the Main Belt, Draco system

With the newly arrived Special Agent Slaine as part of the shuttle, the Celestial Voyager's crew returns to Draco III, leaving Alex and the Navy in the search for the terrorists and the hostages.

End of chapter

This chapter had no XP, as it was just preparing and sorting things out for the next ones.

Thread locked