Recruitment Thread: Tales from the Loop

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 26, 2024 5:27 pm
https://simonstalenhag.se/other/21.jpg

Four hours by ferry off the coast of British Columbia is Sagehaven Island. On its misty, evergreen-covered shores there are hermits and hippies living off the grid, small-town folks who just want a quiet life, enigmatic ultra-wealthy elites in secluded forest mansions, and of course the many scientists, engineers, and soldiers who work at huge government research facility called the Loop.

Our players are Kids (aged 10-15) who live on the island; this game will follow them as they try to solve Mysteries in an alternate 1980s. Everyday life is dull and oppressive in all the ways that kids have to put up with: stern parents, nagging teachers, obnoxious bullies, and all the tribulations of adolescence. However, Sagehaven is an island where things lurk out in the trees.

Be a teenager and contend with strange machines and high-school machinations, interdimensional portals and pugnacious peers, impossible anomalies and unreasonable adults in Tales from the Loop: Pacific Northwest.

Expected Conduct and Content

Folks who are marginalized because of their race, gender, sexual identity, ability, etc. are warmly and explicitly welcome in this game; any behaviour to the contrary will get you removed very quickly.

The Kids’ adventures and the angst of their everyday life is an important part of the game, but the safety and wellbeing of the players come first. That means safety tools, and the expectation that everyone’s behaving with care and compassion; any behaviour to the contrary will get you removed very quickly.

Kids can’t die in Tales from the Loop, but they can get hurt, scared, betrayed, etc. This game might feature injury, apathy, and bad interpersonal behaviour. It WONT include sexual violence, gross negligence or abuse, or graphic descriptions of violence or gore.

First Nations people have lived on the islands off BC for many thousands of years; Sagehaven is no different. Being a settler, I don’t have the background or knowledge to run a game where that’s the focus, but there are certainly Indigenous people on Sagehaven, and if it makes sense for one to be in our game I’ll portray them as best I can. I'm open to having indigenous Kids in the game, but if you want to play one please consider carefully whether you have the knowledge to do so thoughtfully, and whether it might be culturally appropriative. There will be absolutely no ancient cryptids, shallow caricatures, cartoonish wise men, etc.

Game Details

I’ll be running the game using Tales from the Loop (which is loosely based on Year Zero Engine) in a custom setting. Everything will be run on the forum; you won’t need any outside software or rulebooks.

I'm looking for 3-6 players.

Depending on schedules I expect we’ll want players to post 1-3 times per week. I’d like to run at least one mystery (which should take a few months). We’ll see what interest and schedules have in store after that.

If you’d like to play, leave a note here. In a few days I’ll choose some players, giving preference to folks who aren’t currently in a game and then to folks who replied first.
Jan 26, 2024 5:33 pm
One of my absolute favorite games and one I always love to see pop up!

I would be interested in playing in this but I've played and run a lot of both Loop and Flood, so anyone else should definitely get priority. But if you'll end up having a free spot, I'd be happy to take it. Though, fair warning, if you're running a published adventure adapted to your setting, there's a high chance I've either read or played it already.
Jan 26, 2024 5:37 pm
Wish I could join (currently too much on my plate :-/) Wish you lots of fun with it!
Jan 26, 2024 8:08 pm
I would be really interested in playing this! I'm also in BC, so it'd be cool to play something set close to home.

I haven't played Tales from the Loop, but I do know a little about the universe and own one of the artbooks! It's such a pretty world.
Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am
I'd love to join if you are still in need of players. Like cthulu, I have never played the system before, but do own a couple of Stålenhag's art books!
Last edited January 27, 2024 10:04 am
Jan 27, 2024 10:49 am
This was a system that I coveted so much when it first came out.
Jan 27, 2024 3:01 pm
Appalahi says:
This was a system that I coveted so much when it first came out.
[ +- ]
Feb 1, 2024 2:17 am
If you need one more I would be interested.
Feb 1, 2024 10:29 pm
I would be interested as well, if there's room for one more!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.