[IC][D&D5e] Themebased group, rotating GM

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 28, 2024 10:32 am
In the discord, we discussed how an adventuring group of the same class or a similar theme could work.
An all-bard group could fill all the standard roles (in 4e terms Defender, striker, controller, leader. Or in WoW terms Tank, DPS and healer)
A holy group all pledged to the same god/goddess could do the same with clerics, paladins, divine sorcerors etc.
The same rase, like an all-dwarven party, venturing out from their city under the mountain.

Several other themes could be interesting to explore.
The important part is not a group of strangers heading out for coin and carnage. One of the things I would like to achieve is to integrate some of the central character elements into the story. All too often, (and I'm guilty of this myself), the GM drives the plot and the Warlock patron, the central warlock element, is severely neglected. Or the paladin's oath or the god/goddess commandments for that matter.
I would also like to open some of the other tools in the Dungeon Master Guide, ie using an Honor Score.

So what am I suggesting:
* Is there interest in a theme-based group, and what kind of theme?
* I would have shorter missions, where each player GM's one mission, and while doing so their own character would be an NPC but take no decisions they just support the party
* It would be a small group, max 4 players in total. Otherwise, the rotating GM spot will never go full circle
* A starting level around level 4

Is this something that could be interesting? Knowing that you have to GM a mission
It should be clear that this is not yet a recruitment post. This post is an interest check for some non-beginner Dungoun and Dragons 5e
Jan 28, 2024 12:22 pm
This sounds awesome! I’ve been very curious recently about what an all-bard or all-cleric team could be capable of. I’m sure it would be similar across all classes (maybe not if you can’t multiclass - but that would open up so many doors).

Like, what if there were several subclasses of cleric who all worshipped the same god and they’re all from the same temple or something. And it falls on them to do something important.

I’d also love to get my hands into GMing on GP. Personally, that was one of my overarching goals coming here - to learn how to GM on the platform. How would you envision the switching in and out of GMs working for the story?
Last edited January 28, 2024 12:25 pm
Jan 28, 2024 2:13 pm
Honestly, that's exactly the premise of Ars Magica. Every player has a variety of wizard (as a main character), a coterie of unique retainers, and other servants that use a mutual base with the other players' wizards, retainers ,and servants. Each player takes turns running scenarios for the others in a round-robin GM cycle.

I think the scheme is definitely do-able and should provide a nice bit of cohesion to a party and story potential.

A college of wizards or a cloister of monks or a phalanx of fighters, etc ... should provide enough flexibility to make a decently rounded party and each choice would have its strengths and weaknesses.

A council of clerics need not even all have the same god. Instead maybe adhering to the "good" deities of a pantheon to give a bit more 'wiggle room' and diversity of talent/outlook.

If it wasn't for it being 5e, I'd throw in for the effort.
Jan 28, 2024 7:01 pm
Posting interest.
I’ve not DM’d in many years, and never in PbP, but willing to try my hand in a simply, safe scenario for y’all, if you’re patient and supportive enough.
So yes, I am posting my interest in this.
Edit - As far as choice of homogenous classes etc - I’m partial to fighters, clerics and paladins. I love dwarves, we could get very quirky and/or serious, very thematic and tropic. Let’s start at third level at least, so we can go ahead and get archetypes going to help with personal distinctions.
Last edited January 28, 2024 7:05 pm
Jan 28, 2024 7:27 pm
Great ideas all around! I like the idea of homogenous lineage options too. Maybe even replacing the class ideas and going all one lineage with multiple party classes. That would make a good story I’m sure. Different than all playing a single class, but still fun.
Jan 28, 2024 8:12 pm
So a group of dwarfs all in the service of the dwarf god. How they serve their god can differ in the form of Cleric, Paladin, Sorcerors (divine), and even the hexblad warlock that has pacted with the hammer and anvil of the forge god.

If we are doing dwarfs then I would love to use the Honor Ability Score
[ +- ] New Ability Scores: Honor and Sanity (from the DMG)
And just for fun I asked DALL-E3 to imagine "4 dwarfs who all serve the same dwarven god. 1 in heavy armour. 2 in medium armour. 1 without armor. A mix of male and female. No text" And of course it makes 6 dwarfs
https://i.imgur.com/sIn7hEe.jpg
Jan 28, 2024 8:28 pm
^ This is great, looks like a good bit of the heavy lifting is already done for us. Would enjoy getting with this!
Jan 28, 2024 8:49 pm
Very cool! Sounds like a really fun story!

Hammerfall: Demons & Dwarves
Jan 28, 2024 9:09 pm
Thunder_Lungz says:

Hammerfall: Demons & Dwarves
I like that title

Thoughts about the setting? Demons are going to be a thing, but other than that?
Jan 28, 2024 9:49 pm
I love this idea, especially if we look at things that are commonly underplayed, for whatever reason, Dwarves happen to fall into that category, as for classes I'd probably highlight Rangers, And Fighters as Commonly Underplayed perhaps depending on who you play with Druids or Monks as well.
Clerics and Paladin's seem like the obvious choices for what people seem to be looking into which isn't terrible but I think that there abilities would probably be partly covered by whatever everyone else takes without careful work, that being said Clerics have the most random options that I think a party could also be made of Just Clerics.
runekyndig says:

Thoughts about the setting? Demons are going to be a thing, but other than that?
My thoughts would be something where to travel to Avernus/Demon Plane would be the equivalent of dying, and possibly the same could be said of going to the home of the gods, I've also thought a more hands off style relationship with the gods would be interesting, almost a we are here but we can't interfere with human dwarven affairs.

As for world setting, I don't want to only be interacting with Dwarves, so perhaps something sets Dwarves apart in some other way causing us to have a reason to all be Dwarves, maybe something is going on underneath the surface of the earth that needs to be dealt with.
Jan 28, 2024 10:00 pm
In Exandria there’s a Dwarven city called Kraghammer. We could do an origin story of the first surveyors or Dwarven explorers to the area? There’s supposed to be a mithril mine there eventually. And an entrance into the underdark. Basically a Mines of Moria situation, but before the mines were there.
Kraghammer wiki
World anvil

Or I guess this idea works with any Dwarven city in any setting… I just made a connection between Kraghammer and Hammerfall.

It could also take place as the city is being founded and our party is supposed to build or explore and survey some part of the the construction area? That would give a few options for us to make demonic connections?

Oh! And then maybe each time the GM changes, we jump ahead a few decades and play as the descendants of the past adventurers in the same setting, but things are more developed?
Last edited January 29, 2024 2:47 am
Jan 29, 2024 7:21 am
So the theme is honorable dwarfs
We following the story of a dwarf city through time and each player has a family name that lives on in generations
1) The exodus from the previous city and the birth of the new one.
2) When the city is on its high point
3) When the city is old and established in deep lore
4) The fall of the city

Each GM will tell a story from one of the 4 phases/ages. The order doesn't have to be sequential. Each player makes a character from a bloodline. I would love to have a scene in age 3, where a player explains "This is my grandfathers axe", and later in age 2 being this grandfather, swinging said axe.
OOC:
I have an idea for a plot in age 3
Jan 29, 2024 9:22 am
I'm not joining this as I'm at my capacity atm, but I think it's a really cool idea!
Hope you all have fun. :)
Jan 29, 2024 12:04 pm
This sounds epic! Since I’m new to GMing here, I’d like to go second or third and lead the prequel story from the first or second age. It might be cool to start at the third age, go back to the first and second, then finish with the fourth (no pressure).

If we go with Kraghammer, that Word Anvil link has a good amount of info on it - at least enough to get started. Whatever setting we do choose, it might be nice to have some setting guide to follow so we can all stay consistent with each other as we build the world. Or maybe I’m overthinking it? I just know I’d be more creative within a world that has some limitations to work within that we’ve all agreed upon.
Jan 29, 2024 12:27 pm
I think you overthinking it. I imagined that we would have a list of lore-points that we had established and then let the rest be up to the players and GM to invent as we go along. I would read the World Anvil link and grab what I liked, and ignore the rest :D

Lore points could be
The throne of stone: This stone was the first kings throne and for each coronation, the next king have taken his oath on this stone. (before resting his buttocks on a more comfortable chair)
Or a bloodline
BlackEmber Bloodline: The BlackEmber family is a proud dwarven family. They are know for their red hair
Jan 29, 2024 12:33 pm
Sure, that makes sense! I think the pressure is on the first GM to set the scene and then the others can build from there. Pretty cool! When are you thinking this could get started?

Also, I think the bloodlines and the throne are both good ideas.
Last edited January 30, 2024 3:33 am
Jan 30, 2024 3:21 am
I'm interested in this concept. I have 50 years experience as a DM and player. Would love to participate.
Jan 30, 2024 8:57 am
This is getting more and more exiting as you develop idea. Can you clarify - do you see players undergoing PC creation over again for each age? So basically have 4 separate games only sharing some lore between them?
Perhaps a crazy idea, but it is not impossible to tell all 4 stories simultaneously. Perhaps even success/failure in older ages could affect events in more recent. Perhaps lore discovery in older ages could affect events in younger ages.

I'm not sure I'm a good candidate for this game though. I have a very specific DMing style having different styles my be a problem. But if lack one and everyone is ready to accept my difference - you can count on me.
Jan 30, 2024 10:31 am
GreyWord says:
This is getting more and more exiting as you develop idea. Can you clarify - do you see players undergoing PC creation over again for each age? So basically have 4 separate games only sharing some lore between them?
Perhaps a crazy idea, but it is not impossible to tell all 4 stories simultaneously. Perhaps even success/failure in older ages could affect events in more recent. Perhaps lore discovery in older ages could affect events in younger ages.
Good question. Yes 4 separate games with shared lore between them. Each game has new characters. If we play them out of cronological order then there could be some checkpoints that was established in i.e. 4th age, that we would have to work towards in 2nd age. That could be that we told of Redic The Bold who got his beard burned off in the 4th age, then when playing the 2nd age, we would have to make sure that the character Redic have his beard burned off
Last edited January 30, 2024 11:13 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.