Card mechanics on GP - reshuffling a partial deck

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 13, 2024 9:42 pm
I am thinking of an RPG idea that involves and deck of cards. If is very new so it wouldn't be soon, but there is a mechanic I want to see if it is possible here.

In the game, you would draw cards and put them in a discard pile. pretty standard. However, in some circumstances, the card may be out into a player's hand instead of the discard pile. If the discard pile is shuffled back into the deck, the cards in people's hands should not be shuffled back in

For example, I draw an ace of clubs and that goes in the discard pile. Another player draws a 3 of diamonds and they are allowed to put it in their hand. Someone triggers a rule to reshuffled the discard pile back into the deck, so afterward the ace of clubs should be back in the deck but the 3 of diamonds should not be in the deck because it is still in a player's hand.

Is there anyway to handle that? All I can imagine is a clunky way of having players say if a drawn card is in their hand and then the player who drew would have to draw again until no one says they have it in their hand.
Feb 13, 2024 9:49 pm
I don't know if there is a way to label a specific card such that if a new deck was made, it will not include that card and will be smaller proportionately
Feb 14, 2024 6:10 am
I'm pretty sure that's not within the capabilities of the GP card drawer.
Feb 14, 2024 11:51 am
Didn't know unless I asked. Thank you
Feb 15, 2024 8:37 am
Don't think so either. You'd have to have some kind of house rule about it like "If a card is played by someone else that you have in your hand, you have to discard it and draw a new one." But it might turn out to be quite a mess to keep track of it all. But maybe it's an option like that or you can come up with a better rule to suit (no pun intended ;) your needs.
Feb 15, 2024 9:12 pm
Well, my RPG idea involves using playing cards and one of the core mechanics is being able to keep cards in your hand to power abilities, and if the deck and discard pile are ever combined and reshuffled you aren't supposed to put any of the cards in people's hands back in the deck.

If I ever playtested it here, I would have to control the deck on my end with a physical deck, in seems. I would be able to do what I need, and I would help players know what is in their hands with a designated thread.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.