Chat Function?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 23, 2015 2:34 am
Would it be cool? Would anyone use it?
Feb 23, 2015 3:23 am
I originally had one, but it was a bit resource intensive. I was considering putting it back in when I do my site redo and move some stuff to Node.js. But I'm not sure people would use it, given the nature of the site.
Feb 23, 2015 3:55 am
you could always give it a go and see how people like it // don't like it. *shrugs*
Feb 23, 2015 1:17 pm
Keleth you should look at doing it with WebSockets. It's easy in Node, or even Go, and it's not resource intensive. The chat server could just sit there idle till called upon.
Feb 23, 2015 4:43 pm
As mentioned above RustyInPieces, I'm planning on adding some Node, specifically for websockets. I was looking at a chat system, but donno how much it'll be used; I wanna avoid time on features people aren't gonna make use of when there are so many they probably will.
Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm
It sounds like a good idea, but depending on what functions it had would determine how useful it is. A private chat for your game(s) could be cool, as would a general chat for shooting the breeze and getting to know everyone.

But I wouldn't put it on the top of your list…unless, of course, a lot more people vote for it :p
Feb 23, 2015 6:12 pm
Originally, I had in a chat system per game, where the GM would start a session, people could chat, and the GM could end the session, and the transcript of the chat would be logged into a subforum automatically generated in the main game forum.
Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm
Which is brilliant since you could in theory play live, via typing ala the old Jparanoia days.
Feb 23, 2015 10:40 pm
Definitely not a game changing feature, but could be neat.
Feb 27, 2015 10:21 pm
I've never used chat functionality on a forum site. I'm already connected with friends on G+, Twitter, etc. If I want to chat real time with someone, I use one of those.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.