[Closed] An Old School game, Essentially

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenCustomPrivate3 / weekAbbyssalChimera
A ye olde cavalcade of adventures!

Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am
The realms of Fendra's west coast have known many hardships over the centuries. War, famine, the odd dragon here and there. However, nigh a century ago, the country of Virad fell to the power of a powerful necromancer and cast the land into a shadow-cast deadland. Many feared that the necromancer's power would flow out and corrupt their own realm - alas, it has not. As if they were content, or as some theorize, dormant.

Of late, many who would call themselves "adventurers" have begun to roam the western coast in search of wealth, fame, and power. Some even have lofty thoughts of perhaps travelling through Virad in order to slay the necromancer and becoming legends. Many of these folk have either met their end in a forgotten dungeon where they themselves are forgotten, fallen in a skirmish, turned tail and returned to lives of normalcy, turned to banditry, or worse, attempted to indeed fight this foul necromancer and were never heard from again.

Many have begun to call these recent years the start of a new age; the age of adventure! But, even with such an epic name for an age, all must humbly start somewhere.....

Howdy folks,
After a fair hiatus, I've returned reinvigorated to run a new game!

Da System
We'll be using Old School Essentials to play. If you do not have the Advanced guide book, there is an SRD that contains the Basic rules. (ANd yes, despite the different sounding types, they go together.)

Da Pitch
Players will start off in a large town as level one nobodies. We'll start off with some available pre-written adventures/dungeons that will be posted about in town. Should things go beyond those beginnings, we'll move on to some additional adventures/sandbox.

Da Info
Over the course of the game, there may arise adult/controversial themes. Should they, players are welcomed to speak up if they are uncomfortable with them.
Currently, there are two players already in; Dominion451 and WhtKnt. We'll be looking to bring in up to four(4) other players, minimum of two others. Experience with the system not required.
Posting rate will be aimed at a minimum of 3 times a week.
Characters will be made in the forum upon acceptance with the rules for them and any addendums on the forum's details page.
Discord will be used to allow for more direct communication and anouncments.
And as always with my games, fellow folks of the alphabet mafia are greatly welcomed!

To apply, please state some brief character concepts. More than one would be great to get an idea of what you're wanting to play, as well as if multiple folks overlap.

I look forward to playing with y'all!
(if there are any questions, please ask)

EDIT
I can't believe I forgot to mention these few things...

Firstly, this homebrew world of mine is still young. I try to add more and edit things when I have the inspiration, time and energy.
The current idea is it's a sort of Western European coast, somewhat like The Witcher.
Secondly, there are some house rules. These are subject to change and availability depending on how everyone feels with them.
Last edited February 24, 2024 12:37 pm
Feb 19, 2024 6:14 pm
I'd like to apply, I would propose a Gnome very much sensitive to his size who decided to live in a cosmopolitan society to prove that gnomes are worth their while and ready to prove themselves in spite of everything; what a better way than becoming an adventurer !

I'm hesitating between Fighter/Illusionist, Fighter/Thief or Illusionist/Thief. But I am open to any concept tha could help a party.

Concerning my gran' ma, I may be challenged, same ting goes for vocabulary, since I am no native speaker (and my keyboard has a dirty mind of its own skipping letters altogether--I swear it is possessed, but do not tell it.) About Discord I can go there from time to time but I wouldn't be able to play there, not enough long period of time of tranquility (at least right now).
Feb 19, 2024 10:42 pm
I'm thinking a dwarf who really prefers it underground. Feels uncomfortable out in the open. A fighter. Big axe, short temper. Grin.
Feb 19, 2024 11:24 pm
In with a human cleric, fresh off duties as an acolyte and ready to uncover lost relics and make her mark.
Or a magic user, thirsty for knowledge and seeking the answer to the universe. Or answers, I mean there could be more than one I guess lol.
Feb 20, 2024 12:45 am
I am interested, but I am only familiar with the OSE basic rules. I don't know what the character options are for Advanced OSE.

For old-school games, I kind of like to see how the dice fall, and then develop the character concept. But if I had to come up with some ideas now:

A fighty-type who is the third son of a third son of nobles, (i.e almost nobody) who is looking to gather enough gold to build his own stronghold and get out of the shadow of his family.

Or an Elf trying to find lost artifacts of his people. Maybe a thief - Indiana Jones-style. Possibly associated with some elven secret society.
Feb 20, 2024 9:03 pm
I'm glad to see a fair amount of folk already! I'll be keeping things open until Friday so other folks can try to throw their hats into the ring.
I'm liking what I'm seeing from everyone so far!
timplausible says:
I am interested, but I am only familiar with the OSE basic rules. I don't know what the character options are for Advanced OSE.

For old-school games, I kind of like to see how the dice fall, and then develop the character concept.
Fear not, as the concepts are more for me to gather what people would like to play, not the exact thing.
Also, I am willing to try and share some resources in terms of player options.
Feb 21, 2024 11:56 pm
I'm interested, and am in the same boat as Timplausible. I only have OSE basic rules, but have never played it yet. I like the idea of rolling up a character, and if the stats permit it, I'd love to try my hand at playing a fighter. Failing that, something sneaky like a thief would be fun.
Feb 23, 2024 2:14 am
Phasmatodea says:
I'm interested, and am in the same boat as Timplausible. I only have OSE basic rules, but have never played it yet. I like the idea of rolling up a character, and if the stats permit it, I'd love to try my hand at playing a fighter. Failing that, something sneaky like a thief would be fun.
I just rolled up a character with 18 WIS, so looks like a Cleric might be my destiny?
Feb 23, 2024 2:58 pm
Interrested to throw my name in.

For character I was thinking maybe a barbarian seeking revenge for his clan misfortune or a knight on a quest to bring honour to his liege.
I'm also open to something else if there is a need for it.

Hope to play with you soon.
Feb 24, 2024 12:36 pm
The Choosening commences....
The results shall come later today...
Feb 25, 2024 1:09 pm
The Choosening Gods have decided...
They have chosen...
GeneralET...
Timplausible...
Phasmatodea...
And...
Phil_Ozzy_Fer...

ALL PRAISE THE CHOOSENING GODS...!
Thank you to everyone that we're not chosen this time. Should anything happen, this thread shall (attempt) to rise from the grave to call upon brave (or even craven) fortuneseekers.
Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm
Offers a fresh leaf as a sacrifice of praise to the Choosening Gods

You do not have permission to post in this thread.