Cortex - Nexus: A superheroes and dramatic story

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCortex PrimePrivate3 / weekStarsong

Introduction

"Nexus Laboratories" is a clandestine research facility shrouded in secrecy, hidden away from prying eyes in a remote and desolate location. Deep within the heart of a dense forest, this facility operates under the radar, its existence known only to a select few.

Operated by a shadowy organization funded by an unknown source. Nexus is a hub of cutting-edge scientific exploration, pushing the boundaries of human understanding and ethical constraints. Its primary focus lies in genetic research, particularly in the manipulation and augmentation of DNA.

Within its fortified walls, scientists toil away in state-of-the-art laboratories, conducting experiments that blur the line between innovation and ethical boundaries. The air hums with the sound of advanced machinery and the crackle of electricity as researchers delve into the secrets of the genetic code.

Security measures are stringent, with armed guards patrolling the perimeter and biometric scanners safeguarding access to sensitive areas. The facility's true purpose is known only to those who work within its walls, sworn to secrecy under threat of severe consequences.

Rumors abound regarding the nature of the experiments conducted within Nexus Laboratories. Some whisper of attempts to create superhuman soldiers or genetically engineered organisms for clandestine purposes. Others speak of ethically dubious research aimed at extending human lifespan or enhancing cognitive abilities.

Despite its clandestine nature, Nexus remains a beacon of scientific progress and ambition, attracting brilliant minds from around the world with promises of unlimited resources and unparalleled opportunities for discovery. Yet, beneath its veneer of innovation lies a dark underbelly of secrecy and moral ambiguity, where the pursuit of knowledge knows no bounds.

Game synopsis

You are born in Nexus Laboratories as a supernatural human. With little knowledge of the outside world you spent all your early years as a lab rat surrounded by scientists and brilliant minds. At the dawn of becoming a teenager, you managed to escape with the help of a mysterious benefactor only known as the Professor.

With the Professor's resources, you have immigrated clandestinely to New York City for your own protection. You took advantage of the dense population and diversity to hide, growing up in a home for homeless kids financed and organized by the Professor's allies. Most of the children there had superpowers, and discretion was key to survive. Today, you are a young adult living on your own or together. You integrated the system as normal citizens, some of you students, others having mundane jobs. You didn't hear from the Professor for many years until he reached out to meet in a secret place to enlist your help for making the world a better place by going after scientists responsible for the creation of Nexus.

This is a contemporary story of a group of special individuals who are interested in learning about their origin, staying hidden from their creators and government. They will be helping their Professor to make the world a better place or/and whatever they decide to do with their powers.

The heroes will have to deal with the drama of the day to day, while in parallel being superheroes that deal with supernatural bad guys and some serious issues that threaten the world.

Game style

Bullets will be fire at you. Bad guys will blow up things. The government will spy on you with surveillance and drones. Love and friendship will be worth fighting for. Some governments will collapse. A lot of people will die as an ancient retrovirus is spreading in the world; ultimately, this is the biggest threat humanity is facing. The powerful and various governments will try to take advantage of this changing world with the rise of megacorps, superhumans, technology, and genetic engineering. In the middle of all this, your character will try to live a normal life, have friends, love, your own goals and... fight for your own freedom and survival.

Players should expect a balance of 50% battle and violence / 50% dramatic real-life issues, but it depends on how the heroes will approach specific problems and whether they ignore them.

Feb 25, 2024 11:41 am
Hello -

Please I'd like to check how many people are interested in Cortex and other sub-system like Smallville.

I'm working on this campaign here.

Please help me with the following.

Q: Any idea about how to improve the plot?

Q: What kind of question comes to mind as a player?

Q: What important information is missing?

Thank you!
Last edited February 25, 2024 11:45 am
Feb 25, 2024 2:23 pm
The setting and overall plot seems compelling. The game sounds like it would be fun!

As for the players, I think maybe setting the expectation for overall power level would be a good place to start. I've only played the Smallville version of Cortex and the power levels can be really diverse.
Also, maybe give potential players an idea of how much of the story might revolver around combat and how much would be about exploring the characters' place in the world.
Last edited February 25, 2024 2:23 pm
Feb 25, 2024 4:48 pm
Hello, quick side point but I think this is my first post on Gamers Plane. I'm excited to see a game like this open up. Comic books and superhero-centric stories are excellent mediums for addressing real world issues and diving into deep, complicated subjects. I think establishing some boundaries as to what kind of stories we can tell could be good, so that everyone can be involved and tell a story relevant to themselves.

I agree with the above, that you could provide some more details on how much you want this to be story and how much to be combat.

Do you intend for all characters to have met each other through the same shelter? I'm assuming so, and it would be a great opportunity to re-establish old ties (or conflicts) since there's a time-gap between the game introduction and game start.

As an aside, I love Cortex. I'm a big Marvel Heroic Roleplaying fan, and so I definitely have interest for this game and any game using Cortex to tell a story.
Last edited February 25, 2024 4:48 pm
Feb 26, 2024 6:39 am
I'm thinking of starting with a baseline of 50% actions and 50% real life drama for the heroes, but it depends vastly on how the PCs will address certain problems and which one they will ignore or not.

About power scale, it's a good question, i need to dig deeper in cortex. In Smallville it would be building the pathways until the Life-Changing Event as a starting point. I would provide the details about how to create characters when i get ready, so it should give an idea of how powerful you are.
Feb 26, 2024 7:35 am
Expressing my interest, though I might need help getting the game system down well. I only have some experience with Smallville, no other cortex-based systems. I have a LOT of games going right now though, so please let others fill the spots first if you get the interest for it. I'm sure it's going to be a great game!

I will say this: Starsong has a fantastic skill at worldbuilding and is a great poster, so if you're thinking of expressing interest, you should definitely do so!
Feb 26, 2024 9:58 am
Thanks Cinder. Will take some time for me to absorb the rules and be prepared. :)
Feb 26, 2024 2:41 pm
I’ve never played Cortex, even so, this looks like a lot of fun to me. I would be very interested in playing. It sounds perfectly like the beginning of a comic I would read.
Feb 26, 2024 2:55 pm
Thank you Ysolde for the feedback!
Feb 26, 2024 3:32 pm
For feedback, it seems like a grand scheme full of drama and conflict, which is very exciting. However, I wonder if it would be stronger if you have the potential recruits a solid starting point.

Play will begin with the following situation (to be modified to fit the PCs' backstories)...

It would be easier to envision. Maybe you did, with this part, but I wasn't sure: You didn't hear from the Professor for many years until he reached out to meet in a secret place to enlist your help for making the world a better place by going after scientists responsible for the creation of Nexus.

Other than that possible focus, it's a great pitch!
Feb 26, 2024 6:39 pm
Hey. This all looks really great and I would be interested in playing.
Quote:
Q: Any idea about how to improve the plot?
Q: What kind of question comes to mind as a player?
Q: What important information is missing?
Looking at what you have here seems great. Just to chime in:
1. Maybe a Nexus spy in with the Orphans, feeding them info.
2. As a player, I wonder what the technology level and how similar to our world the game world is. I know you said contemporary, so is this a kind of "world outside our window" situation where it takes place in our real world?
3. What kind of powers are you looking for? Like, pretty subtle powers like luck manipulation and super intelligence, low end super strength? Or like full X-men eye beams and blue people?
Mar 2, 2024 9:58 pm
Hello,

Are you still looking for players?
Mar 3, 2024 8:29 am
Sorry all the spots were filled at the moment. Thanks.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.