[closed] Looking for Players: Star Trek Adventures

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedStar Trek AdventuresPrivate1 / dayQralloq
Modiphius Entertainment's 2d20 system, Star Trek Adventures (STA)

While enroute to the nanotechnology ethics summit on Gnycish 2, Starfleet Command has ordered us to investigate the Pinicon Belt, one of the densest asteroid fields ever encountered. The tight proximity of many of the largest asteroids has prevented thorough exploration in the past, but a recent series of automated probes indicates much of the asteroid debris resonates with nearly infinite quantum signatures at the sub-atomic level. This suggests that the rocky material forming the asteroid belt originates from many different quantum realities beyond our own. Should this prove to be true, Starfleet believes the asteroid field could pose a danger to starships passing through the sector.

We’ve been ordered to retrieve asteroid samples that demonstrate these unusual quantum properties for further study. The extreme density of the asteroids will prevent our ship from entering the field, so an away team aboard a single shuttlecraft will have to carry out the mission.

Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm
https://i.imgur.com/vGogldk.png

https://i.imgur.com/90djpwa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1UtiLgi.png

https://i.imgur.com/MHXXVCN.png
CAPTAIN'S LOG
STARDATE 45665.7
While enroute to the nanotechnology ethics summit on Gnycish 2, Starfleet Command has ordered us to investigate the Pinicon Belt, one of the densest asteroid fields ever encountered. The tight proximity of many of the largest asteroids has prevented thorough exploration in the past, but a recent series of automated probes may wish to use indicates much of the asteroid debris resonates with nearly infinite quantum signatures at the sub-atomic level. This suggests that the rocky material forming the asteroid belt originates from many different quantum realities beyond our own. Should this prove to be true, Starfleet believes the asteroid field could pose a danger to starships passing through the sector.

We’ve been ordered to retrieve asteroid samples that demonstrate these unusual quantum properties for further study. The extreme density of the asteroids will prevent our ship from entering the field, so an away team aboard a single shuttlecraft will have to carry out the mission.

[ +- ] Plain text version
https://i.imgur.com/pPpl6WL.jpeg
The Game Itself
πŸ––Game System: Modiphius Entertainment's 2d20 system, Star Trek Adventures (STA). Note: Modiphuis has announced that they'll be releasing a 2nd edition of this game over the next year, but I'll be using original rules.

πŸ––Players: Looking for four or five players to play crewmembers on this two-part mission. The first part will involve some space hijinx, and the second part will involve a more diplomatic yet investigative mission to an underwater facility on an ocean planet.

πŸ––Tone and themes: Nothing controversial expected, in keeping with ST:NG, DS9, and Voyager style. That is, leaning more to a utopian idea of a Federation than the more flawed and corrupted version show in later projects. There will be some action, some diplomacy, some 'science' and a dilemma that needs to be resolved.

πŸ––Character Restrictions: Standard rules as per the STA book. Character creation to be done collaboratively in the game using the method outlined in the ruleset, as this generates characters with history and goals. I'm happy to have a NPC ship's captain, or leave that in the hands of an adventurous, away-party joining PC. Players will be expected to work together and agree upon a 'party' complement for the game before committing themselves to role.

πŸ––Game Duration and Post Frequency: I don't expect this to last more than six months, perhaps faster with daily posters. I'll want to start in the next week or so.

πŸ––Specialized Software and Resources: None.

πŸ––Player Experience Requirements: You'll need the core rulebook to make characters, and the rest of the game we'll learn together.

πŸ––How to Apply: Post here, and I'll choose from the group. There has been a tendency for STA games to fail in early days, and so I'll want as few known-to-be-reliable posters to help break the curse, but there will be a place for one or two people I'm unfamiliar with. I'll choose by Friday night (March 1), as such things are rendered in the North American zone.

πŸ––Players welcomed: In keeping with Star Trek conventions, this game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.
Feb 26, 2024 6:05 pm
I'd love to give this game another honest try. Playing some sort of gribbly science officer sounds like a good time.
Feb 26, 2024 6:45 pm
I'm up for any kind of trek character! Would love to have a game last, and am looking forward to it.
Feb 26, 2024 6:52 pm
I too have been kicking around the idea of getting a Trek game up an running. Would be curious to see what kind of interest you can generate on the boards AND would certainly love to join.

I am open to any sort of character ... so am inclined to see where the other players gravitate towards and then fill in a niche.

Not that it matters, more just to satisfy my curiosity ... but what Era where you leaning towards?
Last edited February 26, 2024 6:54 pm
Feb 26, 2024 7:07 pm
beam me up Q
I mean... no not Q, but you know.... Shut up Weshley

I'm definitely interested
Feb 26, 2024 7:19 pm
Seuss says:

Not that it matters, more just to satisfy my curiosity ... but what Era where you leaning towards?
Good question. 2378, as in about the same time as the end of season 7 of Voyager.
Feb 26, 2024 7:24 pm
I'm interested. I am technically in a STA game at the moment but I think it is dead, unfortunately, so I'm familiar with the rules and still excited to try the system properly.
Happy to take on any character role needed.
Feb 26, 2024 7:31 pm
I would definitely be interested, as long as access to the Free Quickstart Guide found online is sufficient. I haven't gamed with you but there are a couple players who've already expressed interest in this game that I'm currently playing with who might be willing to vouch for my reliability in game :) I have 35+ years of rpg experience.
Feb 26, 2024 7:35 pm
I'd like to express my interest and help break the curse!
Feb 26, 2024 8:06 pm
Always interested in Space Games :)
Feb 27, 2024 3:12 am
It looks like you've got more than enough interest, but if someone drops or can't fulfill their role, I'd be willing to step in.
Feb 27, 2024 3:41 am
Break the curse, Q! And did you see Modi is doing a second edition? Pretty excited for that…
Feb 27, 2024 3:50 am
Harrigan says:
Break the curse, Q! And did you see Modi is doing a second edition? Pretty excited for that…
I did. Apparently will be backwards compatible, at least for setting books and adventures, but with streamlined rules.
Feb 27, 2024 4:09 am
Well...I have this guy still waiting for some adventure. (But of course I could make a new character or this character could be assigned a different ship.) I'm interested if there's room.

https://i.imgur.com/prp97P8.png
Last edited February 27, 2024 4:11 am
Feb 27, 2024 7:12 am
Here to break the curse! But I've got plenty to play and run so please prioritise the keen interest ahead of me.
Feb 28, 2024 9:01 pm
Qralloq says:

Good question. 2378, as in about the same time as the end of season 7 of Voyager.
That is after the Dominion war in DS9 right?
Well it doesn't really matter. The major thing is to have the right tone. A character would have no connection to the Voyager crew or the Marchi.
Gotta find a propper odd hobby. They all have it, music, painting, black and white holodeck stories. What haven't been done in the Star Trek franchise?
Feb 29, 2024 12:28 am
runekyndig says:

Gotta find a propper odd hobby. They all have it, music, painting, black and white holodeck stories. What haven't been done in the Star Trek franchise?
Mime. It'll never be on TV.

Len

Feb 29, 2024 3:41 am
This looks fun! Best of luck to you and your brave crew, Qralloq!
Feb 29, 2024 4:46 am
Mines are not a hobby, it's a kind of insanity

runekyndig sent a note to Qralloq
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.