Players Wanted- The Mad Scientist (Avatar Legends)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedAvatar LegendsPublic4 / weekGameMaster
Hi guys! I'm looking to set up a 3-6 player Avatar legends campaign for anyone who is interested in narrative gaming, regardless of previous experience. Like other PbtA games, Avatar legends is a fiction-first gaming system that emphasizes characters' struggle to find internal balance while working together to solve a community issue or threat. This would be a good game for those interested in improv gaming and not interested in tactical combat or crunchy rules interactions.

Here's my idea for the campaign: the town where the party lives is a small town in a semi-industrial fire nation city in a time before the 100 years war starts (before the events of the Avatar show). On the outskirts of this town lives a very industrious and eccentric old inventor who is world-renown for creating the most marvelous and perplexing mechanical devices in his laboratory and factory that connect to his old and looming manor house. Living up to his odd reputation, this inventor has never let another living soul into any of his work spaces, so the creation of his marvels remains a mystery of science. When a letter is delivered to the town from the manor indicating that the inventor has died, the town sends the party to investigate the now abandoned factory, laboratory, and manor. But beware: reports have already surfaced of thieves and bums falling prey to autonomous security features that remain active on the grounds. This campaign will combine exploration, combat, and character interaction into a narrative-heavy look into the life of a mad scientist.

If you're interested, feel free to reach out! I'm not sure if there will be any interest, so don't be shy!

Feb 29, 2024 11:59 pm
Hi guys! I'm looking to set up a 3-4 player Avatar legends campaign for anyone who is interested in narrative gaming, regardless of previous experience. Like other PbtA games, Avatar legends is a fiction-first gaming system that emphasizes characters' struggle to find internal balance while working together to solve a community issue or threat. This would be a good game for those interested in improv gaming and not interested in tactical combat or crunchy rules interactions.

Here's my idea for the campaign: the town where the party lives is a small town in a semi-industrial fire nation city in a time before the 100 years war starts (before the events of the Avatar show). On the outskirts of this town lives a very industrious and eccentric old inventor who is world-renown for creating the most marvelous and perplexing mechanical devices in his laboratory and factory that connect to his old and looming manor house. Living up to his odd reputation, this inventor has never let another living soul into any of his work spaces, so the creation of his marvels remains a mystery of science. When a letter is delivered to the town from the manor indicating that the inventor has died, the town sends the party to investigate the now abandoned factory, laboratory, and manor. But beware: reports have already surfaced of thieves and bums falling prey to autonomous security features that remain active on the grounds. This campaign will combine exploration, combat, and character interaction into a narrative-heavy look into the life of a mad scientist.

Since this is an improv-heavy game, we will use the first session to start the narrative and engage with the plot hooks, filling out character sheets with relevant information as it comes up naturally during play. Details that become relevant to the story at a later point can be added at that point when necessary, so that no one's creative work is wasted, and I am not forced to try to contort my game to include everyone's disjointed backstories. For those who have not played Avatar Legends or a similar Magpie PbtA game before, the character sheets are really simple and have minimal things to choose and fill out, so the character creation process is not intimidating or difficult.

If you're interested, feel free to reach out! I'm not sure if there will be any interest, so don't be shy!
Mar 1, 2024 3:53 pm
Color me interested. My son and I looked at this game last year, and it looks sweet.
Mar 1, 2024 4:51 pm
Yes! My first player!! I am very excited to try to get this running! Full disclosure, I have not run a PbP game before, but I am interested in learning the format and I am a fast learner. I have decent experience running AL, having run a total of 7 sessions so far. I still have stuff I am working on, but I am very passionate and I learn quick, so I hope to give a very exciting and enjoyable experience.

Feel free to reach out to other friends to try to drum up some more interest. I am eager to get started, and I am just waiting on players!
Mar 1, 2024 4:58 pm
Give it a day, you'll get some notice. Also post this thread on the interest check discord channel.
Mar 1, 2024 6:00 pm
I'm interested, but I have no experience with the system.
Mar 1, 2024 9:11 pm
GameMaster says:
Hi guys! I'm looking to set up a 3-4 player Avatar legends campaign for anyone who is interested in narrative gaming, regardless of previous experience. Like other PbtA games, Avatar legends is a fiction-first gaming system that emphasizes characters' struggle to find internal balance while working together to solve a community issue or threat. This would be a good game for those interested in improv gaming and not interested in tactical combat or crunchy rules interactions.

Since this is an improv-heavy game, we will use the first session to start the narrative and engage with the plot hooks, filling out character sheets with relevant information as it comes up naturally during play. Details that become relevant to the story at a later point can be added at that point when necessary, so that no one's creative work is wasted, and I am not forced to try to contort my game to include everyone's disjointed backstories. For those who have not played Avatar Legends or a similar Magpie PbtA game before, the character sheets are really simple and have minimal things to choose and fill out, so the character creation process is not intimidating or difficult.

I join
Mar 1, 2024 11:19 pm
Awesome! Two more! Let's make this happen!

Since it's a very narrative-heavy game, no previous experience is needed, and I as the GM will manage the rules. You guys and gals as players will just focus on moving the fiction forward, with dice rolls (always 2d6) added occasionally to adjucate who gets narrative control at tense moments.

I'll look into getting the game set up now so hopefully we can start soon!
Mar 2, 2024 3:50 am
Okay, I sent y'all invites to the game and set up several threads on the game page, so anyone who is serious about playing should accept the invites. Once we have 3-4 players who accepted, we can start playing.
Mar 3, 2024 10:52 am
I have no experience but like the idea of this. I'm in!
Mar 3, 2024 12:58 pm
Awesome! That makes 4 players, so we're full now! I sent you an invite, and we can get started next week!
Mar 5, 2024 7:35 pm
We lost a player, so I am opening this back up to try to pick up one more player. If anyone else is interested, let me know!
Mar 6, 2024 11:55 pm
If having a player that's brand new to the forum isn't an issue, I'm definitely interested.
Mar 7, 2024 12:44 pm
That is definitely not an issue, welcome aboard! We can likely take one additional player if anyone else is still interested.
Last edited March 7, 2024 12:48 pm
Mar 7, 2024 4:51 pm
Helloo! I'm also new to the forum, but I've been rewatching Avatar recently and have given a quick look to the system. I'm so excited I was able to find a campaign to join!

May I join please...?
Mar 7, 2024 6:10 pm
Yup, I'm sending an invite right now!
Mar 15, 2024 3:26 am
I opened the applications again. I'm struggling to get some of the players to actively play, so I'm interested in taking on at least another player, especially someone who wants to get involved a lot.
Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm
Hello, I am aware of the Avatar universe, and I watched the first season, which dealt with Ang. But it was a long time ago and some details I have forgotten. I am totally new to the Avatar RPG, though I have the book. I haven't read it but I am familiar with PbtA games. If you think I will be suitable for your game, I will gladly like to give this a try.
Mar 16, 2024 1:10 am
Hey there. I'd be interested in playing if you've still got a spot. I ran a year-long Avatar campaign (live over discord) and had fun gm'ing it, so I would quite like to give being a player a go.
Mar 16, 2024 1:34 am
I would be interested in trying it. Never played the system but I loved Korra, Kitara, and Toph.
Mar 16, 2024 9:58 am
Oh, absolutely an Avatar fan here, and looking for the opportunity to test the mechanics of the RPG. I got the books in the kickstarter, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

I'm also in if a spot opens up :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.