24XXoth - lo-fi dark fantasy, like o.g. Conan

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Open24XXothPrivate2 / weektibbius
In the city called Belthaar, in the confederacy of dirt that men call Susrah, there once lived a great wizard by the name of Ikhtanabu Xul. He was well versed in the arts of sorcery, and his red tower was filled with strange treasures and iron-bound books of arcana. The wizard’s life was one of luxury and pleasure, served as he was by servile eunuchs and dutiful apprentices. Devils obeyed his whims.

As he grew old, Ikhtanabu Xul’s beard became white as snow, and he began to fear death, for that he should lose all his accumulated knowledge and be denied his worldly pleasures. The wizard studied forbidden books of necromancy to learn the secret of immortality. While Ikhtanabu Xul learned many secrets of the tomb, he did not find the recipe for the coveted elixir of life, nor any spells that could prolong his life beyond the number of years allotted to him by the black candles of life that burn in the secret temples of Yadar.

Thus the necromancer died, old and weak and bitter, and his last instruction to his chief apprentice, Arakshat, was to be preserved by the arts of the embalmer and placed in a private tomb, safe from the depredations of ghouls and tomb-robbers, hoping for some future resurrection by the spells of his apprentice. Unfortunately for the dead wizard, the loyalty of his apprentices was as short-lived as his own quest for immortality. Within months, the apprentices of Ikhtanabu Xul had squandered their former master’s wealth on feasts and debaucheries and rivalries, each trying to become the new master of Ikhtanabu’s tower.

When the funds ran out, the apprentices abandoned the tower, scattering as dust on the winds. The autumn rains soaked the red tower and made puddles in the muddy plaza that surrounded it.

Yet there is a rumor that the devil haunted tower has, somewhere in its fastness, a secret treasury, undespoiled by the wastrel apprentices.

Mar 3, 2024 7:16 pm
✅ The Game System and Rules Version. https://tibbiusgames.itch.io/24xxoth

✅ The Pitch. Do you want to bestride the known world and crush it beneath the bejeweled sandals on your callous feet? There is a price to be paid for such glory.

✅ Adult Content or Controversial Themes. I personally don't feel comfortable with graphic anything, but we are likely to mention violence to the extent of "blood spatters across the room" or "your arm is broken" and we may touch on sexy stuff to the extent of "he pulls you slowly toward him for a lingering kiss ..." - depends where the story turns. IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR with R.E. Howard's Conan stories, that's where we are in terms of tone - without the racist and sexist flavors.

✅ Character Restrictions. See rules, above.

✅ Game Duration and Post Frequency. We're going to play until we get bored. My posting will be infrequent, so I'm looking for players who are willing to respond within a few days when a new post goes up.

✅ Specialized Software and Resources. Infrequently it might be interesting to have a live voice session via Discord. That depends on who signs up for this, time zones, etc.

✅ Player Experience Requirements. 2400/24XX is pretty easy to learn; the rules are written to encourage risk management using common sense.

✅ How to Apply. I don't feel a need to put up a lot of fences around this, it's a niche game. Read the rules to be sure that this your style of play.

✅ Welcome Marginalized Groups. Really, anyone who isn't an ass.

tibbius sent a note to vagueGM,Qralloq,Faluffh,microtheMacroBear
Last edited March 3, 2024 7:16 pm
Mar 3, 2024 10:19 pm
Hi! I am interested. Unfortunately I think I hit the max amount of games I can commit too at the moment. So, I will have to pass. I wish the players you find good fortune in their adventures, and if you decide to make the games public, I will read along as the journey progresses.
Mar 6, 2024 11:45 am
Hi, one of my games just paused. If you're still willing to have me, I will play!
Mar 8, 2024 6:28 pm
ok we might want moah playahs though
Mar 9, 2024 11:57 am
Hello all, i will be interested, i always been curious to try 24XX types, and i am a fan of Robert E. Howard.

I am from Portugal so sorry for the occasional bad english
Mar 9, 2024 1:26 pm
I just rewatched Conan the Barbarian last night.
Mar 9, 2024 1:44 pm
Quote:
In the city called Belthaar, in the confederacy of dirt that men call Susrah, there once lived a great wizard by the name of Ikhtanabu Xul. He was well versed in the arts of sorcery, and his red tower was filled with strange treasures and iron-bound books of arcana. The wizard’s life was one of luxury and pleasure, served as he was by servile eunuchs and dutiful apprentices. Devils obeyed his whims.

As he grew old, Ikhtanabu Xul’s beard became white as snow, and he began to fear death, for that he should lose all his accumulated knowledge and be denied his worldly pleasures. The wizard studied forbidden books of necromancy to learn the secret of immortality. While Ikhtanabu Xul learned many secrets of the tomb, he did not find the recipe for the coveted elixir of life, nor any spells that could prolong his life beyond the number of years allotted to him by the black candles of life that burn in the secret temples of Yadar.

Thus the necromancer died, old and weak and bitter, and his last instruction to his chief apprentice, Arakshat, was to be preserved by the arts of the embalmer and placed in a private tomb, safe from the depredations of ghouls and tomb-robbers, hoping for some future resurrection by the spells of his apprentice. Unfortunately for the dead wizard, the loyalty of his apprentices was as short-lived as his own quest for immortality. Within months, the apprentices of Ikhtanabu Xul had squandered their former master’s wealth on feasts and debaucheries and rivalries, each trying to become the new master of Ikhtanabu’s tower.

When the funds ran out, the apprentices abandoned the tower, scattering as dust on the winds. The autumn rains soaked the red tower and made puddles in the muddy plaza that surrounded it.

Yet there is a rumor that the devil haunted tower has, somewhere in its fastness, a secret treasury, undespoiled by the wastrel apprentices.
Mar 10, 2024 6:51 pm
Ooo, I've actually run this before, but with the D20 rules. Still have room?
Mar 11, 2024 4:00 am
I'm a fan of REH and Conan and would be interested in checking this out. Allow me to D/L and look over the rules.
Mar 11, 2024 4:48 am
I am, as always, willing to prove that being a barbarian is best.
Mar 12, 2024 12:46 am
A desert city capped with onion domes shimmering under the desert sun was the location of my first Conan pbp. What a setting that inspired such colorful writing! I would very much like to revist that world.
Mar 12, 2024 7:32 pm
Hey, hey! Always looking for a game in the world of Conan!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.