[Closed] Humblewood: Humble Beginnings 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate3 / weekvaldattaMadun
In the far away world of Everden, on the eastern coast of a great continent, lies a vast forest nestled
between the mountains and the sea. This is the Humblewood, an ancient and magical place that hums
an endless song, sung to the Great Rhythm of life and death. The Wood, as it is known to its inhabitants, is not like any other forest. The trees are old and powerful, with rare specimens that reach as tall
as small mountains. Here familiar beasts grow to unusual sizes, bearing markings and patterns unique
to the Wood. This region is also home to two groups of animal-like humanoid races, the birdfolk and
the humblefolk. Together they share the Wood and its bountiful resources.
In the early years, the birdfolk and humblefolk lived close to each other in small villages around
the forest. These isolated communities were vulnerable to an organization of brigands and marauders
who called themselves the "Bandit Coalition." To protect themselves from the Coalition, the birdfolk built fortified cities in the forest’s canopy. Joining forces with the humblefolk, the birdfolk army,
known as the "Perch Guard", drove back the bandits, bringing peace and security to the region. Over
time, birdfolk culture spread, and the capital city of Alderheart became the most politically influential
place in the Wood.
But the Wood has also known sorrow. Not long after the founding of Alderheart, a massive
forest fire known as "The Great Calamity" burned a portion of the Wood. The origins of the fire are
unknown, but it left the area permanently damaged. To this day, it is called the "Scorched Grove," an
arid field of ash that has since become home to many strange flame-infused creatures.
The Tenders, an organization of druids and mystics, dedicate themselves to healing the Scorched
Grove with natural magics. Set up in conclaves around the Wood, they provide aid whenever forest
fires strike. Yet, since the Grove’s burning, the Wood has known relatively few fires. Nature’s balance,
though, can be disrupted by a single spark.
Recently, fires have begun to rage through the Wood with a strength and fury not seen since ages
past. Forest-dwellers are again being displaced from their homes, seeking refuge in Alderheart, and
perch-dwellers are doing what they can to keep themselves safe up in their canopy sanctuaries. Relations between the humblefolk and birdfolk are tense. Moreover, a newly invigorated Bandit Coalition
swells in numbers. Its sights are set upon Alderheart, where those displaced by the flames seek a means
of survival.
You are a citizen of the Wood, caught up in this turmoil. Or perhaps you are a storyteller from
another world. Either way, the future of the Wood is yours to write. Within this book you will find all
the tools you need to build your character, travel the land, and create your own Humblewood story.
Whether or not Humblewood is able to survive the flames is up to you. Go forth and adventure!
Only you can restore balance to the Wood.

Mar 6, 2024 6:53 am
I am hoping to run the starting adventure in the Humblewood Campaign Setting. This will be my first PbP GM'd game
[ +- ] Humblewood
System: DnD 5e
[ +- ] Pitch

Content: Nothing controversial.
Character Creation: Anything official WotC OR Humblewood Setting specific content. Either reflavored to the setting or humblewood races
Duration: Running the Adventure from the Campaign book that runs from Level 1 to Level 5. Story is separated into Chapters with easy jumping in and out of points as well
Post Frequency: 3-5 times a week
Extra Resources: I will provide Humblewood content to all players including new races, subclasses, feats, backgrounds and warlock invocations.
Apply: Game will be first come first serve some
My Experience: This will be my first PbP game to GM but I have been GM'ing for a few years now IRL

Edit: The adventure is a fairly linear affair that takes you to all corners of the Wood (especially in the early chapters)
Last edited March 7, 2024 7:47 pm
Mar 6, 2024 7:24 am
Yes please. I'm up for a humble game

Edit: when I read the feat Bandit Cunning on DNDbeyond I got super exited. This is the feature from Pathfinder Magus and Thaumathurge that I like so much, but haven't really tried out yet. This one is going to be core part of my character.
Quote:
Bandit Cunning. With this feat, you can not only add your Intelligence modifier as a bonus to a saving throw once per long rest, but you also gain the ability to use Investigation against your enemies in combat. You can use your action to make an ability check to learn details about your enemies, such as damage resistance or immunity, an attack option, or a special sense.
Some sort of cunning melee warrior. Paladin / artificer / hexblade but I don't know yet.
Last edited March 6, 2024 1:12 pm
Mar 6, 2024 9:16 am
Hi valdattaMadun!

Thank you for taking the step and offering this setting here.

Would really like to be part of this. I am very curious because of the new races, classes and how the setting feels. Will be playing a mouse/fox/raccon with a new subclass most likely. :)
Mar 6, 2024 10:57 am
Pitch say "You are a citizen of the Wood", while character creation "Anything". So it there a place for a human, elf or perhaps Firbolg in the story?
Last edited March 6, 2024 10:57 am
Mar 6, 2024 11:34 am
GreyWord says:
Pitch say "You are a citizen of the Wood", while character creation "Anything". So it there a place for a human, elf or perhaps Firbolg in the story?
My understanding of Humblewood is that everyone is animals. I read it as everything about classes and stuff is open.
Mar 6, 2024 11:51 am
I’m interested as well!
Mar 6, 2024 1:34 pm
I’m interested, as long as you’re good with someone fairly new lol.
Mar 6, 2024 1:48 pm
I am super interested in playing a Raven!
Mar 6, 2024 2:36 pm
runekyndig says:
GreyWord says:
My understanding of Humblewood is that everyone is animals. I read it as everything about classes and stuff is open.
That was my intention HOWEVER if a player is creative and wants to reflavor I am all in.

Turtles, grung, herengon, etc obviously takes a smaller effort than others
Mar 6, 2024 5:18 pm
Post Tashas's, would it be possible to chose the attribute boni in a different way than in the book? :)
Mar 6, 2024 5:38 pm
soises says:
Post Tashas's, would it be possible to chose the attribute boni in a different way than in the book? :)
I would allow it
Mar 6, 2024 5:51 pm
I support DM's intention. I expected both races and backgrounds to be limited to those listed as extras, just wanted to double check. Anyway, looks like ton of interest here. Good luck with your first PbP GM'd game!
Mar 6, 2024 8:48 pm
The Module is for 4-5 players so I will probably stick to that.

All others I will put on a list in case others are late to not accept

Edit: I will finish up setting up the game and try and send invites by the weekend
Last edited March 6, 2024 8:48 pm
Mar 6, 2024 9:33 pm
Woooo can't wait to play a Humble creature!!!
Mar 7, 2024 8:30 am
grifter730 says:
Woooo can't wait to play a Humble creature!!!
You do mean "WuHoo!" if you are playing an owl, right?
I have a disheveled owl artificer in mind at the moment. One working with wood and different infused tree-saps to strengthen wood so it is hard as steel and can keep an edge. (Just re-flavoring, I'm not trying to circumvent druid restrictions or anything like that)
Mar 7, 2024 12:15 pm
Very nice!

fox or raccon rogue here! :D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.