OOC: XP from Chapter 4

Mar 11, 2024 12:26 am
At the end of Chapter 4, every PC will get 3 XP, following our advancement rules and those described in page 56 of the rulebook:

1 - Did we earn a profit, either through trading, scavenging, looting or jobs?
Yes. Bounty and speculative trading.

2 - Did we discover something new and interesting about the universe?
Yes. Psionics, IBN and much more. Moreover, OOC, we learned a completely new ruleset, equipment list, starship hulls and fittings, etc. I feel that should also count as "something new".

3 - Did we overcome a difficult challenge or dangerous adversary?
Yes. Alfredo and, probably, the Draco Separatist Fleet.
That will be enough to level up Hank, Corbin, Mercer and Douklan for level 3 and Peter to level 2.

I would request that we wait until the end of the space combat for Douklan, but the remaining players can already think about it and level up their characters in this thread.

Secondary PCs (or those NPCs with stats - Erin and Mariella included) will stay in their current levels and won't level up, at least for now. They will lag behind a little bit. You're the stars of this show, not them. ;)
Mar 11, 2024 4:22 am
Since Level 3 is where you can finally get a level-2 skill, I can't pass that up. Hank will spend his three non-psychic skill points to attain Trade level-2. That seems to be the skill that he will use the most. For the psychic skill point he takes Intuitive Response.

(I have a rough outline for him through all 10 levels, so I always have an idea of where to take him. Level 4 will be much harder. This level was easy.)

Rolls

Level 3 hit points - (3d6+10)

(353) + 10 = 21

Mar 11, 2024 5:02 am
I was looking at upgrading Talk, but realized for the same price I can get a boost to all my CHA skills(by upgrading CHA).
Leaves me with 1 Skill points left over I'll keep for now. (Until I do all my lv math)
Edit: Looks like health tied from before.
Last edited March 11, 2024 5:03 am

Rolls

Health - (3d6+6+10)

(221) + 16 = 21

Mar 11, 2024 1:11 pm
You always get at least +1 to your hit points by gaining a level.
Mar 11, 2024 1:53 pm
Argh 😞, I'm traveling this week. That usually doesn't affect my posting, but I don't have access to my books until I get home.
Mar 11, 2024 2:07 pm
@Esidrix, two things:
1) You can always download the free version of the rulebook from DTRPG or the publisher's website.
2) My suggestion: Use three of your skill points to get to Fix-2. Use the fourth skill point to bump your Con to 14 to get the +1 per level to your hit points. (I am assuming you haven't increased any attributes yet.)

Just to put thoughts in your head. :-)
Mar 11, 2024 2:11 pm
daryen says:
You always get at least +1 to your hit points by gaining a level.
Hey. It makes more sense sometimes if you can get sever +1 s or one for the same price...
This is why I used by +2s where I did. A better overall character.
Mar 11, 2024 3:47 pm
Esidrix says:
Argh 😞, I'm traveling this week. That usually doesn't affect my posting, but I don't have access to my books until I get home.
Don't worry. We still have a space combat thread to finish on our side. Or you can follow Daryen's suggestion, if you wanna. =)
Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm
Quote:
Edit: Looks like health tied from before.
Yup. But I saw you upgraded it to 22 (increased it by +1), so that's already correct =)
Mar 11, 2024 10:39 pm
Leveling up to 2

Attack Bonus: 1
saving throws: all -1

Skill points:
- banking two normal ones
- using the third psionic specific one and the one from my focus to get Metapsionics Level-1

New Psionic Skill:
- Cloak Powers

New Focus:
- level 2 of Psychic Training
OOC:
Do you all have a field in your character sheet for banked skill points?
Last edited March 11, 2024 10:42 pm

Rolls

Mac Health Roll - (2d6+2)

(46) + 2 = 12

Mar 11, 2024 11:35 pm
@arthur12320 you actually get 1 skill point (I'm writing that as SP here) per level with the Psychic Training level 2, its retroactive.

So you still have 2 regular SP and 1 psychic SP left. Sure you wanna bank it until the next chapter? That can make a difference.

You also missed the flat +10 in that HP roll. So your new HP is 22.
Mar 11, 2024 11:40 pm
@htech not clear where the extra psychic SP is coming from.
Quote:
Level 2: When you advance a level, the bonus psychic
skill you chose for the first level of the focus automatically gets one skill point put toward increasing it or purchasing a technique from it. You may
save these points for later, if more are required to
raise the skill or buy a particular technique. These
points are awarded retroactively if you take this
focus level later in the game.
I advanced it to level two so got 1 SP to metapsionics, but to go from level 0 to level 1 i need 2 SP so i used that one and the on i get with my level up, so i think i only have the 2 regular SP left

And i'm baking those to get shoot 2 next chapter
Last edited March 11, 2024 11:43 pm
Mar 11, 2024 11:42 pm
Yeah, you're right. The first level is not an advance. My bad.

Okay!
Mar 12, 2024 12:31 am
@htech, I made the same mistake, too. I had to correct my level path template once I figured that out!

@arthur12320, Getting Shoot-2 next level is a worthwhile goal that I don't disagree with.

However, you are going to want to consider getting the other level-1 Telepathy discipline at some point. You really want to have both Transmit Thoughts and Facile Mind. You need Transmit Thoughts to be able to have classic telepathic communication. That discipline is the only way to get that. Facile Mind greatly expands the opportunity to use the power. Without Facile Mind, you can only send thoughts (or do literally anything with Telepathic Contact) a number of times a day equal to your Effort. With Facile Mind, you can do it a virtually unlimited number of times a day. This is because normally the base Telepathic Contact requires Effort for the day. With Facile Mind, this is only Effort for the scene. Since Telepathic Contact only lasts for the scene, this means it really only requires Effort while it is being used and then you get it back. That is a massive increase in flexibility. But if you don't get it at Level 2, you might have to wait all the way to Level 5!
Mar 12, 2024 12:35 am
OOC:
Interesting point abou the the facile mind, but wouldn’t I be able to get at level three? By expending the psychic SP on getting a extra skill?
Quote:
Psychics can also spend their skill points to master additional psychic techniques. The cost of this educa- tion is equal to the technique’s minimum skill level re- quirement.
P.s.: I can still also use the non exclusive skill points on psychic related skills also right?
Last edited March 12, 2024 12:37 am
Mar 12, 2024 1:23 am
arthur12320 says:
P.s.: I can still also use the non exclusive skill points on psychic related skills also right?
Yes, you are correct. The reason I was discounting Levels 3 and 4 is because I was assuming you'd want to get Metapsionics-2 and Telepathy-2 as quickly as possible.

So, for Level 3, that means:
One skill point for Shoot (finish getting it to Shoot-2) and three skill points for Metapsionic-2.

For Level 4, that means:
Three skill points for Telepathy-2 and banking the Psychic Training skill (since it can't be used on Telepathy).

That wipes out both levels. Now, if you are willing to wait on either of those, then that opens things for more options.

Also, (as I sent in a PM), it looks like you can actually get to Shoot-4, Metapsionics-4, and Telepathy-4. But it will take literally every single skill point you gain to get there. It is a brutal commitment, but you can do it. (Even though two of those skill 4s don't appear until Level 10.)
Last edited March 12, 2024 2:00 pm
Mar 15, 2024 3:19 am
OOC:
@htech,

Could we have a separate thread where we can talk about theory-crafting? I have a couple observations I'd love to post and see what others think about. I hesitate to do this purely on the OOC thread as I don't want to clutter it up, but I'd still like to discuss the theory to see if I am off-base or not.
Mar 15, 2024 8:31 am
OOC:
Sure, go ahead and create a new thread. =)
Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm
daryen says:
OOC:

Could we have a separate thread where we can talk about theory-crafting? I have a couple observations I'd love to post and see what others think about. I hesitate to do this purely on the OOC thread as I don't want to clutter it up, but I'd still like to discuss the theory to see if I am off-base or not.
OOC:
Good one
Mar 18, 2024 12:13 am
OOC:
@spaceseeker19,@Esidrix please level up when you can. You will be able to use your new skills in Chapter 5 =)

Thanks!
load next

Thread locked