Lightning in a Bottle (RP)

Mar 13, 2024 12:27 pm
Continued from What Comes Next.

You track down Gronk at the local inn (do you find it strange that Humphrey's carriages were parked somewhere else?).

• Did you leave Humphrey to work on his carriage, or have him come with as you seek out Gronk?
Mar 13, 2024 12:29 pm
- Gronk -

Describe how you are living and what you are doing in the middle of the morning when the party of Albert, Roald, Daryl —in his shiny armour— and Theo find you.

• Were you, maybe, kicked out of the main city on account of your peculiar practices? Olmsford is nearly a days travel away, so plenty-far for most people to consider it the other side of the world and forget about you?
• Or were you, maybe, doing a show in the area for a while? (You have been here long enough that the others know where to seek you out.)
Mar 14, 2024 2:58 pm
Gronk has been living in a room at the inn in Olmsford, working nights and weekends as a performer, a stage magician. Given the late hours, he often sleeps in, prefering to awake closer to noon. However, he is up early today, excited about his progress on his research on the mists that have fascinated him since he first heard about them. This morning, he is in his room reading and taking notes and muttering to himself. He is in terrible condition, having been up most of the night making his final exhausting preparations. Every so often, he starts to nod off to sleep as he is working, leaving small ink spots on his notes.
Last edited March 14, 2024 3:32 pm
Mar 16, 2024 12:05 am
Albert knocks on the door of Gronk's house. "Hello? Anyone home?"
Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm
"Hello? I'm here? Unless I owe you money. In that case, I moved across the sea, never to be seen again

Gronk outs down his book and pen and opens the door.
Mar 17, 2024 3:23 pm
Albert scratches his head at the somewhat dubious yet interesting response. "Uhm... No. No money owed here." He says. "Are you the one they call the mystic? If so, we need your help."
Mar 18, 2024 1:41 pm
I guess that's me. What can I do you for? And what are you offering?
Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm
"Sorry to bother you, sir." Albert says. "But my friend here was attacked by a strange creature that appeared from the mist. And we were hoping maybe you would know something about it." He points to Roald but his voice seems hesitant. Unsure if what he's saying will make him look like a mad man or trigger some strange knowledge to a world he knows nothing about.

"Is there any way you could help us?" Since they have very little to offer, Albert decides to ignore that question for now.
Mar 19, 2024 11:16 am
'' Ever since my face feels numb and cold. Tonight we were walking in the mist and it got worse, it has to be related in someway... No?
Mar 19, 2024 6:44 pm
"Oh, excellent! I've been looking for the perfect specimen to finish my research! Here, let me get a sample.

Gronk grabs a specimen jar off the nearby shelf and quickly uses the tip of one of his un-inked quills to scratch off a small bit of flesh from the affected region of Roald's face. He does so without asking permission and quickly enough that no one has time to object.

"Now then, I'm sure that wasn't pleasant but its for the better. This specimen should hopefully be what I need to finish my research project. I've been studying this mist, working to characterize its magical properties. Tomorrow I will attempt to disburse it for the betterment of Olmsford, but not before I trap myself a little bottle of the stuff for further study. You are welcome to join me if you wish- it should be quite safe, according to my notes.

Turning to Roald, he adds,

"You said you were attacked by a monster of the mists? Tell me all about it- what did it look like? Did it live in the mist? How did it attack? Where did the attack occur?"
Last edited March 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Mar 20, 2024 9:04 am
Roald scratches his face where gronk took the 'sample'.
"Yes, a creature, errr. We were at the inn on our way here. I thought I heard a knock on my window at night, so I opened it and mist started pouring in" Roald leaves out the part about there not being a balcony to support the guy knocking at the window.
"Next thing I know, some sort of critter was attacking my friend Daryl. So we tried to help him but the damn thing was lightning fast. It got me in the face too. Looked like somekind of raccoon but... more viscious."
Talking about the event makes Roald scratch his face some more.
Mar 21, 2024 6:03 pm
"I hit the thing with my belt in Raynor's name." Albert adds "That got rid of it, but somehow it didn't feel like it was defeated. More like scared off. Have you heard of these creatures before?"

When Gronk mentions the plans for tomorrow, albert is interested. "Tomorrow you say? Well... To be honest we should get on the road as soon as we can. We have packages to deliver. But maybe we could be of assistance?" He looks at Theo to see his reaction since Theo was still doubting the correct course of action for himself.
Mar 21, 2024 6:10 pm
Gronk has mainly heard about the mist itself, very few people have encountered whatever is in it and lived to tell about it.

It is strange, though, because, by reports, those who died in the mist were ripped bodily asunder, which does not gel with 'incorporeal creatures that don't leave physical marks'.
Mar 22, 2024 3:00 pm
"I have only heard scattered reports of creatures in the mist, and my reference books seem unfortunately light on the subject. It is an honor to meet one who faced a beast of the mist and survived to make a report."

Gronk briefly consults one of his books.

"Odd. It says here that most who encounter the beasts of the mist are 'ripped bodily assunder,' which seems to conflict with your description of an incorporeal creature and the lack of physical marks on your face. Perhaps there is more than one beast hiding in these shadows?

At any rate, I would be greatful for the company. This line of work gets dreadfully lonely, and I could always use the extra security, since the beasts are clearly afoot. If we must rush, perhaps we can go at nightfall. I need a few hours to 'prepare.'"

Gronk looks longingly at his cot in the corner and his eyelids begin to sag in anticipation.

"Return in four... no, make it five, hour's time and we can set forth."
Last edited March 22, 2024 3:01 pm
Mar 23, 2024 11:10 am
"MORE BEASTS?!?!" Albert says in disbelief. "Like we haven't got enough problems already!" He lets out a sigh. "I suppose it needs to be done. Who knows what will happen if we don't stop that mist. Since we have a long road ahead, we need to be able to sleep safely at night."

Reluctantly, he agrees to meet Gronk later that day and decides to spend some time in a bath house before visiting the local temple.
OOC:
If possible, I'd like to receive some kind of blessing from the temple. We don't have to play it out, or we can do it in a flashback scene.
Mar 23, 2024 11:45 am
- Albert (and Roald?) -

Humphrey has completed the work on the carriage, and is surprised to hear that you are not leaving immediately. He both slept through the attack last night and does not see how this is his problem.

"We are going inland. Why do we care about coastal mists?" Is his question.

Albert visits the surprisingly luxurious bathhouse and then the temple —for what that is worth in a place like this. Theo demurs from going to the temple after his bathing, and offers to take over goods-watching duties from Daryl so the other man can get to explore what the town offers.

Daryl is eager to get back out there and "Give those mist-beasts a good seeing to."

• Do you take Daryl with you tonight? You don't know how the mist will affect him. (... or Roald, but we are, presumably, not leaving PCs behind:).
Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am
The day has been mist-free so far, and as you meetup up again and ready to leave the town there is still no sign of mist.

The locals say they have not had any mist problems —or even much mist at all, really, for a while— but you have heard that the phenomenon is not limited to the inn on the hill, and has been reported much closer to town.

The three-quarters-full moon will only be up a few hours after sunset.

• Do you head out now, or was there any preparation work you wanted to do first?

What do you do?
Mar 23, 2024 11:47 am
- Ezmaray (@karabooo) -

What are you doing just before you encounter the other party members?

Briefly describe where you are, including how far from town, as well as why you out here. Are you hunting/trapping as part of your general life, or are you here because of the mist.
OOC:
When you meet the others you can include a description of yourself and what state they find you in.
What do you do?
Mar 23, 2024 2:38 pm
Ezmaray is an hour from town. If it's evening, then she would be exploring a beaver dam in a marshy area in an attempt to set up some effective conibear traps and catch some beavers.
Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm
Roald joins Albert at the bath house and spends some time in the temple too. He is not use to 'doing temply things ' but his recently found religion makes him wanna go with Albert to express his dedication.
I should talk to Albert about what is expected from me...

In the bath house he expressed his doubts about heading into the mist once again. And now, in the silence of the temple he worries even harder.

At last he stands up and waits for the others outside.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.