I think it is time to wind down and take a break

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 21, 2024 8:19 pm
I'm feeling really tired these days and I am looking forward to the easter holidays.

When I look at my activities here I have been GP daily for over 5 years, and I am considering taking a longer break, once I have ended all my games.

So I am setting myself a hard target
No new games - I tried this one before but when I got under 5 active games then good people were opening exciting games and I joined up again. But now I'm saying out loud. No new games!

I'm in a few games that I am very invested in, and I would like to see them reach their conclusion. But I'm going to withdraw from others.
Mar 21, 2024 9:24 pm
I feel that runekyndig. Doing the same. I hit my DM'ing everyday.
Mar 22, 2024 1:59 pm
Are you needing an accountability partner to help keep you in check? :P

But more seriously, I think our ability to commit to long term gaming over the years comes and goes, due to life commitments of various sorts. That much is natural, ie everyone needs a break now and then!
Mar 23, 2024 6:29 pm
Enjoy the break and hope to see you back after you recharge.
Apr 1, 2024 1:57 pm
BedzoneII says:
Are you needing an accountability partner to help keep you in check? :P
I appreciate the offer of a sober companion or similar :)

I had a good easter and have had time to reflect. I have concluded that I should focus on quality over quantity. This means that fewer games, but games that I enjoy, and I should increase the quality of my posts. More of what my character is feeling and not just the swing of the axe.
It's a bit problematic posting on a phone, but I usually post on my PC.
I should also restrain myself from GM'ing anything for a while. At least on PBP

Another thing I could confirm is that we have a wonderful community here at GP.
Last edited April 1, 2024 1:57 pm
Apr 1, 2024 2:02 pm
This is admirable. It's so easy to fall into the trap of FOMO overcommitting and then burning out. I know because I've been there so many times.

Best of luck, Rune!
Apr 1, 2024 2:11 pm
You to @Jabes.plays.RPG should you, me and @BedzoneII form a support group against overcommiting? :D
Apr 1, 2024 3:09 pm
I'm afraid you'd run out of chairs...
Apr 1, 2024 3:12 pm
Then probably end up forming a new game, sigh 😔
Apr 1, 2024 3:22 pm
Psybermagi says:
Its call gamification therapy :D
Apr 1, 2024 3:49 pm
Yeah we might all need therapy 😁
Apr 1, 2024 4:12 pm
runekyndig says:
... increase the quality of my posts. ...
It's a bit problematic posting on a phone, but I usually post on my PC.
Make notes and ideas on your phone, then formulate them into 'better quality posts' when you get back to your PC? Rewriting them after 'a time to reflect' can do wonders for 'post quality'.

I often advocate "Write a post, leave it on the screen and go make a sandwich, then come back after eating and reread what you have and 'improve' it as needed before posting." A little time to think can do wonders.
Apr 1, 2024 4:41 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
This is admirable. It's so easy to fall into the trap of FOMO overcommitting and then burning out. I know because I've been there so many times.

Best of luck, Rune!
Good to see you back, mate.

I've been at only one game for a while now, and it feels good.
Apr 1, 2024 5:01 pm
Quote:
I often advocate "Write a post, leave it on the screen and go make a sandwich, then come back after eating and reread what you have and 'improve' it as needed before posting." A little time to think can do wonders.
I generally do that. I don't often make major changes to the posts in that reread, but it does help me catch typos and awkward phrasing or word repetition.
Apr 1, 2024 5:31 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... I don't often make major changes to the posts in that reread, but it does help me catch typos and awkward phrasing or word repetition.
Yeah, same. Or finding that a post really does not fit the tone of the game and should not be posted at all (not that that ever happens:).
Apr 2, 2024 5:08 am
I find previewing it and rereading helps me. But I Typo alot.big fingers little phone keyboard and tiny print
Apr 3, 2024 10:17 am
Adam says:
Good to see you back, mate.

I've been at only one game for a while now, and it feels good.
Thanks, @Adam ! I'm happy to find you're still around. Cheers!
Apr 3, 2024 2:03 pm
bowlofspinach says:
vagueGM says:
I generally do that. I don't often make major changes to the posts in that reread, but it does help me catch typos and awkward phrasing or word repetition.
How many sandwiches does that equate to per day, bowl? 😵
Some good tips and tricks in this thread 👍
Apr 3, 2024 5:47 pm
Quote:
How many sandwiches does that equate to per day, bowl? 😵
https://y.yarn.co/0997b367-939d-4ae5-983d-3d04c37420de_screenshot.jpg
Apr 7, 2024 3:13 pm
Psybermagi says:
oops, that's me all over!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.