Chapter 5.2B: To see the forest for the trees

Mar 22, 2024 12:04 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 159, 19:33 UTC

Verdura's orbital station, Zyronis system

Verdura's orbital station pulsed with life as Corbin and Erin weaved through the bustling crowds, hopping from one bar to another. Corbin relished the vibrant atmosphere, the mix of cultures and the hum of conversation filling the air.

As they were about to enter the next bar, Corbin's gaze caught someone familiar entering the fancy Chinese restaurant across the orbital station passageways. His heart skipped a beat as he spotted a silhouette he hadn't seen in years. It was Aziz Toamshis, an old friend from his days on Aldebaran.

Erin followed Corbin's gaze, noticing the sudden change in his demeanor. "What is it?" she asked, concern evident in her voice.

Corbin turned to Erin, a mixture of excitement and nostalgia flickering in his eyes. "It's Aziz," he said, his voice tinged with emotion. "I haven't seen him since... since I left Aldebaran."

Erin placed a comforting hand on Corbin's shoulder. "Do you want to go there and say hello?"

https://i.imgur.com/u7skNkN.jpeg
OOC:
Corbin, what do you do?

Trade Era 1235, Day 159, 19:30 UTC

Celestial Voyager, docked with Verdura's orbital station, Zyronis system

Lieutenant Douklan Paravides sat in his stateroom in the Celestial Voyager, his brow furrowed in concentration as he sifted through the endless streams of information. He tried to unravel the mystery behind the nonsensical legislation that plagued Verdura using publicly available information accessible through the Celestial Voyager's computers but to little avail. But amidst his research, he learned about the Imperial Library, a repository of knowledge from the nearby Zyronis's planet nestled within the heart of Verdura's orbital station.
OOC:
Douklan, what do you do? Are you going to the Imperial Library? Alone?
Mar 23, 2024 10:21 pm
Currently off-duty, Lt. Paravides is still much more accustomed to the routine of Navy review and approvals, so when he realized he has an opportunity to investigate further at the Library branch on the station, he went to get approval from his superior. "Captain Zaytsev? The sudden change to the local regulations here in Zyronis got me wondering, and I've been looking into the political developments that may have led to such a strange and, frankly, xenophobic policy. I've been making some headway, but to pursue this matter further I'll need to look into the public records archived in the Imperial Library here on the station."

The Captain looked bemused at this outburst. "You're not on duty now, Lieutenant."

Douklan nodded in agreement. "Yes, Captain. That's why I've come to you, to clear it with you."

The Captain's lips twitched. "Clear it...with me?"

Douklan completely misread that reaction and stood at attention. "Permission to leave the Celestial Voyager for independent research into a political situation that might present a danger to the crew, Captain?"

The Captain sighed and smiled. "Paravides, relax." When he didn't respond, she continued. "At ease, Lieutenant. When I said 'you're not on duty' before, what I meant was, you're part of the crew, but when you're not on duty, you don't need my permission to debark the ship or to board it again afterward. As long as I know where you are, it's not an emergency, and I can contact you if I need you...then, when you're off-duty, you can visit any station we're docked without seeking my explicit permission every time. You're not in the Navy, now." Seeing his expression, she quickly corrected herself: "Well, yes, you're in the Navy, but I'm not, and I don't run my ship like it's a Navy command." One side of her mouth lifted in a lop-sided grin. "You're a good pilot, Douklan, but you'll fit in a lot better on my ship if you act a little less military all the time. Okay?" Douklan relaxed infinitesimally, the beginnings of a nervous smile appearing. "Okay," the Captain continued, "You have my permission, implicit and explicit, to explore the station." As Douklan turned to leave, she called after him: "Oh, and I will want to hear what you find...particularly if it does involve politics that might present a danger to our crew." Douklan nodded and made his way off the ship, onto Verdura Station, and looking for a directory to show him how to get to the Imperial Library.
Last edited March 23, 2024 10:22 pm
Mar 24, 2024 3:28 pm
Small galaxy. Corbin nods to Erin. Clearing the tab he heads across passageway to the Chinese restaurant. Stepping in and scanning to see how 'uppity' it is and if he can spot Aziz.
Mar 24, 2024 11:45 pm
OOC:
Nice dialog spaceseeker19! Always feel free to use or create NPCs to help with roleplaying and further describing your PCs
As soon as Douklan entered the library, his senses were assailed by the scent of aged parchment and the faint mustiness of old leather bindings. The air hummed with the quiet energy of knowledge, the weight of centuries of history pressing down upon him like a heavy cloak.

Douklan looked around and found the librarian, a middle aged man working amidst a section dedicated to the origins of the ITC. There, the records chronicled the early days of interstellar commerce, tracing the threads of history back to the very foundations upon which the Commission was built.

Alongside these relics of the past, digital terminals hummed with the soft glow of data screens, offering a gateway to the vast repository of knowledge amassed over dozens of generations.

In the back, Douklan could also notice a section of the library dedicated to the ancient human empire of Zyronis, a civilization that had flourished decades before the establishment of the ITC. There, nestled among rows of weathered tomes and fragile manuscripts, lay the secrets of a bygone era. Stepping into that part of the Imperial Library was like stepping back in time.
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Douklan Paravides: Notice DC6 - (2d6+2)

(51) + 2 = 8

Mar 24, 2024 11:54 pm
As he entered the restaurant, Corbin's gaze swept over the elegant interior, taking in the plush furnishings and soft ambient lighting that bathed the space in a warm glow. The atmosphere exuded an air of refinement, hinting at the exquisite culinary delights that awaited within.

Stepping up to the reception desk, Corbin was greeted by a woman whose demeanor exuded an aura of polished professionalism. Her eyes flickered with curiosity as she regarded him, no doubt taking note of his casual attire amidst the backdrop of opulence.

"Good evening, sir," she said, her voice tinged with a hint of formality. "Do you have a reservation?"

Corbin hesitated for a moment, now acutely aware of the restaurant's exclusivity and expense. He glanced around, taking note of the well-heeled clientele and the air of sophistication that permeated the room.
OOC:
What do you do?

If you didn't remember, Aziz is described here.

Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm
Oh bother. "No, no I don't. I just spotted an old friend and was hoping for a quick Hello before he was seated. But it looks as if I've missed him. " Corbin excuses himself and returns to where he first saw Aziz. He'll grab another drink and hang out. Hopefully, he'll have a chance to catch Aziz as he leaves.
Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm
Douklan blinked in surprise at the olfactory presence of parchment. Had the Zyronians fallen into a period of technological collapse at some point after colonization? He dismissed that as unlikely to be relevant to his current inquiry, though it might be interesting to explore later.

First things first, Douklan crossed to a library terminal to search for materials inaccessible to him aboard the Celestial Voyager, hoping to find anything about recent political changes, xenophobic rhetoric, a rise in anti-ITC sentiment, anything that might have led to the change in regulations around interstellar trade. ::If I can't find anything conclusive here,:: Douklan resolved to himself, ::Then I'll ask the librarian for help.::
Last edited March 25, 2024 3:39 pm
Mar 25, 2024 4:27 pm
As Douklan settled into the terminal, his fingers danced across the keys, initiating a search for materials that delved into recent political changes and rising sentiments of anti-ITC rhetoric.

Minutes turned into hours as he sifted through a vast sea of data, his eyes scanning line after line of text in search of the elusive answers he sought. And then, amidst the digital deluge, he found it—a law change that sent a shiver of unease down his spine.

The screen before him illuminated with the details of the new legislation—a decree that allowed foreigners to hold office in Verdura, even for just a couple of days, provided they passed a rigorous examination. Douklan's brow furrowed as he absorbed the implications of this seemingly innocuous change.

It didn't take long for his suspicions to be confirmed. Recent appointments to key planetary ministerial positions—namely, the Trade Minister and the Minister of Justice—had been filled by individuals hailing from Draco I, a planet known for its draconian laws, xenophobic tendencies and antagonistic stance towards the ITC.

As Douklan delved deeper into the records, he uncovered a pattern emerging—a calculated agenda set in motion by these newly appointed ministers and their local allies, one that sought to sow discord and confusion through a series of contradictory laws and trade complications.

He also learns about Master Shen Wei. A venerable figure within the hallowed halls of the Jade Pavilion, Master Shen Wei is the chief examiner tasked with overseeing Verdura's rigorous examination system. People seeking to navigate Verdura's labyrinthine political landscape may find themselves drawn to Master Shen Wei's chambers, where his sage counsel and keen insights into the intricacies of power may prove invaluable. Yet, treading carefully around this enigmatic figure is advised, for whispers echo through the halls, warning of the shadows that lurk beneath his outward impartiality.
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 26, 2024 11:25 pm
Quote:
Corbin excuses himself and returns to where he first saw Aziz. He'll grab another drink and hang out. Hopefully, he'll have a chance to catch Aziz as he leaves.
As he sipped his drink, Corbin's attention was drawn to a group of individuals seated at a nearby table. Their Aldebaran accents were unmistakable, a familiar melody that tugged at his heartstrings and filled him with a sense of nostalgia.

Curiosity piqued, Corbin observed the group more closely, their demeanor exuding an air of quiet confidence and discipline.

Though they were not clad in the uniform of soldiers, their clothing bore the hallmarks of practicality, functionality and a military background - a polished belt buckle here, a discreet pin there, what looked like armored clothing in another man.

It was also in the way they carried themselves, with a certain bearing and confidence that spoke volumes of a military training and experience. Even in the relaxed atmosphere of the bar, there was an underlying sense of readiness and vigilance that lingered around them.

Corbin's mind raced with possibilities. Could they be fellow soldiers from Aldebaran? The thought filled him with a mixture of excitement and apprehension, unsure of what their presence might mean.
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm
Corbin will ease up to the group, not trying to hide that he is approaching them.

"Excuse me sirs, I don't mean to intrude, but your accent reminds me of Aldebaran. It's been a while since I've spoken to anyone from home."
Mar 28, 2024 12:20 am
Douklan clears the local logs of his searches (he has no illusions about saved network logs, however), logs out of the terminal, and returns casually, without seeming to hurry, to the Celestial Voyager. Once aboard the ship again, he reports to the Captain as soon as she can see him.

"Captain, as you know I went aboard the station to continue a bit of my research into these new regulations. Here's what I've discovered:
- the Jade Pavilion recently decreed that non-natives can be appointed to offices in Verduran government (which is a huge change)
- in order to be approved, they have to pass an examination that is controlled by Master Shen Wei, an established administrator
- Shen Wei's process has been used to approve the appointments to several key positions, including the Ministers of Justice and of Trade, to natives of Draco I!"

Douklan sighed. "There's something bigger going on, and I can't help but feel that it's connected, somehow, to the Separatist actions we encountered in the Draco system. We just can't get away from these guys! I plan to report this to the Captain Rael, and I feel that this should be brought to the attention of the ITC, as it may indicate a wider spread of Separatist sentiment than they realize." He paused, waiting for her thoughts/orders, but then interrupted the silence. "Captain, do you think that this constitutes a specific threat to our crew? If Separatists control both the Trade and Justice departments, our people might stumble into legal traps at any time. Or am I being..." He corrected himself. "...are my concerns overblown?"
Last edited March 28, 2024 12:21 am
Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm
The group turned to face Corbin, their expressions shifting from surprise to curiosity as they regarded the newcomer. There was a moment of hesitation, a silent exchange of glances among them, before one of the men spoke up.

"You're from Aldebaran?" - he asked. "What brings you all the way out here?"
OOC:
What do you do? What are you looking for? :)

Captain Zaytsev

htech

Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm
Quote:
"Captain, do you think that this constitutes a specific threat to our crew? If Separatists control both the Trade and Justice departments, our people might stumble into legal traps at any time. Or am I being..." He corrected himself. "...are my concerns overblown?"

"If there's anyone I trust to navigate the legal pitfalls unscathed, it's Hank. I don't think it's a specific threat to our crew, it seems like it's bigger than us. Some politicians and representatives of the ITC government must have certainly noticed this. Interestingly, if I understand what you said correctly, one of us could even get a government job, just for a few days, to change this... I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but..."
OOC:
What do you do?
Captain Zaytsev
Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am
Douklan considers this, and whether serving in public office on Verdura would violate any part of his oaths and contract with the ITC Navy. ::Interesting...:: he thinks to himself, ::I wonder who we might get in the Jade Pavilion to appoint one of us, if we were able to pass the exam...could Shen Wei himself also grant sinecures?::
Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm
"I work for a free trader. Captain sets the course and I end up wherever we go." Corbin smiles at the strangers. "Was just stretching my legs and grabbing a drink when I overheard your accent, reminded me of home. Small galaxy, huh."
OOC:
If they continue to chat, Corbin will hang around. Otherwise he'll nod and head back to his chair to see if he can catch Aziz.
Mar 29, 2024 6:16 pm
"Yeah, it really is a small galaxy," the man remarked, nodding in agreement. "Funny how paths can cross in the most unexpected places."

The group chuckled in response, the shared sentiment of nostalgia and connection bridging the gap between strangers. As the conversation flowed, Corbin felt a sense of warmth and belonging wash over him, grateful for the chance encounter that had brought him into the company of fellow Aldebarans. When they learned that he also served, one of them spoke up:

"We're actually here on a mission to protect a VIP," he explained, his words carrying a weight of responsibility. "Can't say much about it, but it's good to know that we have fellow Aldebarans looking out for each other, even out here in the depths of space."
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Chr/Talk - (2d6-2)

(22) - 2 = 2

Mar 29, 2024 6:21 pm
Quote:
Douklan considers this, and whether serving in public office on Verdura would violate any part of his oaths and contract with the ITC Navy.
Indeed it would. As a military member, he cannot serve. The ITC laws require civil control of the military and that the activities of its armed forces are subordinated to the political purposes of constitutional governments. Moreover, Navy officers are ineligible for employment by foreign or planetary governments or agencies.

Verdura's laws, on the other hand, are a mess now. He is forbidden by the Navy, not by Verdura.

Unless he goes to Neptunia and does not reenlists...
Quote:
I wonder who we might get in the Jade Pavilion to appoint one of us, if we were able to pass the exam...could Shen Wei himself also grant sinecures?
Probably.
OOC:
What do you do?
Mar 31, 2024 4:26 pm
OOC:
I'll ease back to my seat for now. Knowing Aziz was always going to 'move up' and seeing these guys 'protecting a VIP' is a enough to let me know it might be safer to step back. I'd hate for them to mistake my knowing Aziz for someone looking for him.
Mar 31, 2024 5:12 pm
As the evening wore on, the time finally came for Aziz Toamshis to depart from the restaurant. Corbin's heart quickened with anticipation as he watched Aziz at the door.

Corbin and the group of Aldebaran soldiers rose from their seats almost simultaneously, their movements synchronized as they made their way towards Aziz. The soldiers exchanged nervous glances, their apprehension palpable as they approached the distinguished officer.

They quickly surrounded Corbin and one of them was preparing to attack him as Aziz caught sight of the approaching group. Erin was close nearby, also reading herself for a fight.

"Easy there, gentlemen," Aziz said, his tone reassuring. "No need to be nervous. Corbin here is a friend."

The tension in the air dissipated instantly at Aziz's words, replaced by a sense of relief. The soldiers visibly relaxed.

As Aziz's gaze met Corbin's, a genuine smile graced his features, reflecting the warmth of their friendship that had endured the test of time and distance.

"It's good to see you, Corbin," Aziz greeted, his voice tinged with genuine pleasure. "What have you been up to?"

Corbin returned the smile, feeling a rush of nostalgia at the sight of his old friend. "I've been working for a free trader, hopping from one corner of the galaxy to another," he replied, his tone laced with a hint of adventure.

Aziz's eyes sparkled with interest at Corbin's response. "That sounds like quite the journey," he remarked. Aziz leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a confidential whisper. "Truly, you're godsend. I was hoping you might be able to lend Eclipse a hand with something. Follow us."
OOC:
What do you do?
load next

Thread locked