[Closed] Masks a new Generation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedMasks: a new GenerationPublic2 / weekdunderklumpen
A fairly classic take on a Masks game.

This will be a game about teen superheroes just as they are getting started in the canonical city of Halcyon. You can expect a fairly light treatment of heroics and villainy, nothing really dark.

Hopefully, teenage angst and shenanigans, with a lot of the drama coming from the PCs bouncing off each other and friction between the older established heroes of Halcyon City.

Mar 24, 2024 1:34 am
https://i.imgur.com/u6jestMm.pngThe Game: Masks a New Generation by Magpie Games. This game is Powered By the Apocalypse and is based on Playbooks and 2d6 mechanics.

I'm looking to run a fairly classic version of the teenage superhero game. You can expect a fairly light treatment of heroics and villainy, nothing really dark.

Hopefully, teenage angst and shenanigans, with a lot of the drama coming from the PCs bouncing off each other and friction between the older, established heroes of Halcyon City.

I'm going to be recruiting 3-5 players.

This game might be for if you:
* like teenage super-heroic adventures
* like narrative rules-light games
* want to have lots of input into the setting
* are keen to answer 'what happens next?'
* want to engage with and be fans of the other pcs

This game might not be for you if you:
* don't really like the classic superhero tropes
* like detailed resolution with lots of crunch
* want a classic gm-player relation where you are run through a module and just say what your next action is

If this seems like your sort of game, reply in the thread.

I'd like you to tell me why you want to play in the game and the things you like in this sort of game. If there are lots of people wanting to play I'll be selecting players based on the responses that best fit the sort of game that I want to run. I'll be waiting for 1-2 weeks before recruiting players.

You don't need to have experience with the game.
Last edited April 1, 2024 12:09 am
Mar 24, 2024 2:14 am
Hello Sir Dunderklumpen,

I am highly interested in joining your Masks: A New Generation game because it offers a combination of elements that greatly appeal to me. I enjoy character development, exploring interpersonal drama, engaging in collaborative storytelling, delving into teenage themes, and experiencing a lighter tone with an emphasis on optimism. I am enthusiastic about creating unique characters, navigating complex relationships, contributing to the setting, and exploring the growth of my character within the context of a teenage superhero adventure.

Thank you for considering my application, and may the heroic tales of Halcyon City be filled with excitement and camaraderie.

PS: I am not familiar with the game system, but given it isn't mandatory and it is a rules light system, I'm quite confident I'll pick it up rather quickly given how many different systems I've played over the years.

Late Note: my favorite team of super-powered teenagers is Gen13 (image comics).
Last edited March 25, 2024 11:13 pm
Mar 24, 2024 4:17 am
ME! ME! ME! I want to play!

Why I want to play: I really like the Masks system. I've been in several Masks PbP games that got off to a great start but then lost their GM (real life comes for us all, alas...). I even tried to pick up the GM duties for one of those games, but then MY real life got in the way. So I've yet to get past one scene, despite having played in... (counts on fingers)... four games. Anyway, I've been a fan of Powered by the Apocalypse systems for a long time. I've played some Monster of the Week, some Monsterhearts, some OG Apocalypse World. But Masks is my favorite of the systems because I like the theme and I think the rules are just really well crafted for that theme.

What sorts of things do I like in this sort of game? I really enjoy the character creation process, and the collaborative world-building that goes along with it. So I'd hope that would not be glossed over. I like a "four color comics" (not dark and gritty) style with a nice blend of good guys vs bad guys, teen drama, and teens vs older heroes drama. But I'm not picky. As for story elements? I like the concept of a young team in the shadow of established heroes, getting mentored/constrained. But I'm not picky in that regard.
Mar 24, 2024 4:33 am
Hello :)

Please i'd like to play. I tried Mask once and it was really fun.

I like the coming of age theme, becoming an adult and harness it's own identity as super hero.

The team aspect of Mask is pretty fun. You can't do everything on your own, you need good team work to accomplish your goal. This emphasis collaboration, which is fun in RPG.

The drama and romance between character is interesting for me as well in this kind of contemporary setting.

Resolving social problems and making the city a better place sounds great, and more cerebral situation that can't be resolve with a punch stimulate me as well.

Challenging the established old order with new thoughts and idea is pretty fun too.

Also as someone who had health issue in her life, i always been into wanting to be a super hero. :)

Cheers,
Last edited March 24, 2024 8:29 am
Mar 24, 2024 5:57 am
Not applying (although I'd love to play Masks more thoroughly one day), but just here to note that there is a big bundle on offer from Magpie Games. Avatar Legends, Root, Masks...
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/best-of-magpie-games-books
Mar 24, 2024 9:05 am
Argh would love to play but brain too full with other games atm - wishing you lots of fun playing this together!
Mar 24, 2024 10:54 am
Yes. I would love to play.
I signed up on GP a few weeks ago for games like these, but haven't been in a single active game yet so I hope you don't mind newbies.

I love story driven rpgs and PbtA games like masks and motw are high on my list. As are games with shared story making. (I am considering to launch a motw here myself soon, but I want more comfort on the site first)

The idea of teen superheroes is awesome and I love tv shows like those. It is a nice combination of lighthearted rp and action.
Last edited March 24, 2024 10:55 am
Mar 24, 2024 6:37 pm
This is hard to resist, but my focus is on other projects at the moment. So just chiming in to say Dunder runs a great Masks game!
Mar 25, 2024 3:29 am
First-time GP poster, would love to play! I have a cheerful outsider in mind, which I’ll gladly run by you, Dunder, when you want character ideas. (Or if you already have too many players, maybe I’m outta luck!

But in case I’m not too late…) Sardis, Timplausible, you both expressed what I really want out of a game—Masks in particular: optimism, and a direction other than dark and gritty. Sounds like a fun team in the making, and I’d certainly be fortunate to join it!
Quote:
I'd like you to tell me why you want to play in the game and the things you like in this sort of game.
• First of all, I like how you extended the GM note "be a fan of the players" to the players—that it’s on US to be each other’s fans. I think the fun of Masks is, yeah we’re weird teens, but hopefully our quirks endear us to the other players.

• Being young and inexperienced is fun. You’re the underdog, relying on your powers and your teammates to beat the bad guys!

• I love the lightheartedness. Mistakes/failures/losss don’t lead to horrible murders. Us kids can learn and hopefully do better next time.

• While I’m not a pro, I do enjoy drawing cartoony characters. So maybe a minor point, but when I inevitably draw my own character, the look will actually fit a comic-book-themed game.

• And if I do get to play an Outsider*, my contribution to the world building will be to build an actual world!

(*EDIT - I thought of a fun Brain character this morning as well. So I’m not stuck on ‘alien’ so much as I want my hero to radiate obvious nerd vibes.)
Last edited March 25, 2024 10:27 am
Mar 25, 2024 10:26 pm
I love MASKS so much! Really excited to see a game on the forums. I've always been a fan of comic books, and over the past few months I've gotten into a huge superhero RPG kick, whether its a game like MASKS or M&M. I like that this genre and system both allow for a variety of personalities in a story, so we have varied reactions. Everyone is a teenager so the emotions are always dialed up a little more, and the things young people set out to learn and achieve can differ from older versions of themselves. Superpowers are always fun tools for storytelling, and I like the less-crunchy aspect of PbtA games in general.

I want to participate if possible for the reasons listed above, but also because I'm still fairly new and inexperienced on Gamers Plane and I really need to get used to the flow of things, posting, the culture, all of that. I'm ready to dive in.
Mar 27, 2024 4:04 am
The plan is to open the game next week after Easter for all players.
Mar 27, 2024 10:20 am
If by "all" you mean you’re accepting all who expressed interest, thanks!!

(And 7 is not strange to me. My first Masks experience started with 8 players, which made for a fun, and surprisingly-not-convoluted "when we first met" story.)
Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm
Sorry if that statement was misleading. I will probably only be taking 5 players. I'm not so good a gm that I can wrangle more than that.
Last edited March 28, 2024 12:48 pm
Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm
Fingers crossed then :)
Last edited March 28, 2024 1:29 pm
Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm
No apology necessary… I noticed a 0/5 in the game, so I just wanted to check. (And also stop myself from overplanning.)

As ClaCle put it, fingers crossed.
Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm
Five is a good group size. My costume is ready in my closet if needed. :)
Apr 1, 2024 12:09 am
Thanks to everyone who showed interest. I wish I could run more than one game and invite everyone, but I don't have the time.

I tried to choose a mix of new and veteran players and I would have happily invited anyone who wanted to join. If a spot becomes available I'll reach out to those who applied here for first right of refusal.

Inviting the following players: Timplausible, Starsong, Qralloq, BeardHare, ClaCle
Apr 1, 2024 12:26 am
Have fun, those who made the cut!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.