[RECRUITMENT] NewEdo - Neon Samurai RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedNewEdoPublic4 / weeknezzeraj
Testing out the new game NewEdo.

Apr 4, 2024 8:35 am
https://i.imgur.com/EYCnSeO.jpeg

THE PITCH
Want to play some cyberpunk but tired of games with overly complex mechanics or a setting that's too dark and gritty? Well, welcome to NewEdo, a more optimistic cyberpunk game set in Not-Japan where current advances in cybernetics is clashing with a thousand-year-old society steeped in tradition. Instead of skulking through the shadows blowing up everything you can, you take the roles of character who try to make a positive change in the world under constant surveillance of drones and mass media. Build your legend, gain power and influence, and change the world.

WHY PLAY NEWEDO?
* Medium-crunch dice pool system is familiar to other systems but with unique twists that keep the game fast and interesting.
* 10 lineages to play as including humanoid monkey, rabbit, bird, cat, and turtle people as well as cyborgs.
* A unique Fate Card system where your choices at character creation and during gameplay make each character unique and introduces narrative elements naturally.
* Social characters are just as important and influential as combat characters.
* A unique setting where beliefs actually manifest into physical reality.

GAME DETAILS
I'm looking to start in mid-April. Posting rate is 3-4/week. Game length is not determined yet. Likely start with one pre-made adventure and take it from there as long as everyone is interested. Owning the core book is not necessary, but you'll have to play a pre-gen if you don't. I'll explain all the necessary rules before we start and when they come up in play. This is a newish game so no experience is expected. I'll keep recruitment up through the weekend and I'll pick from those who post interest below.
Apr 4, 2024 12:02 pm
nezzeraj says:

* Medium-crunch dice pool system is familiar to other systems but with unique twists that keep the game fast and interesting.
* 10 lineages to play as including humanoid monkey, rabbit, bird, cat, and turtle people as well as cyborgs.
* A unique Fate Card system where your choices at character creation and during gameplay make each character unique and introduces narrative elements naturally.
* Social characters are just as important and influential as combat characters.
* A unique setting where beliefs actually manifest into physical reality.
This intrigues me, and looks really interesting, I'd be willing to give it a try. :-)
Apr 4, 2024 12:25 pm
Been wanting to try New Edo for a while, if you’ll have me I’d love to jump in!
Apr 4, 2024 2:37 pm
- cyberpunk
- Japanese
- more optimistic
- try to make a positive change in the world

I'm interested in this as well.
Apr 4, 2024 3:15 pm
I'd be interested in playing in the optimistic cyberpunk atmosphere. No experience, but I am OK with using a pre-gen character.
Apr 4, 2024 3:49 pm
Here to recommend Nezzeraj as a GM. He's great at explaining rules, establishing a consistent tone, and maintaining pace.

I've also been jonsing for some Cyberpunk and bought this book a year ago. I'm in a metric ton of games so take others before me, but if you need an extra, I'll ride with you

https://i.imgur.com/w0z94Iz.gif
Apr 4, 2024 5:08 pm
Interested. What is the dice task resolution system?
Apr 4, 2024 5:16 pm
I'm interested in trying out the system. What's the premise for the PC group? Vigilantes?
Apr 4, 2024 11:59 pm
Pedrop says:
Interested. What is the dice task resolution system?
Dice pool of core traits + skill against a target number. Core traits use d10s which can explode, skills are more complicated in that they have a rank (how many dice) and a focus (the die size). So a skill can have rank 3 (3 dice) and a focus of 4/4/8 (meaning d4, d4, d8). Hope that makes sense lol.
saevikas says:
I'm interested in trying out the system. What's the premise for the PC group? Vigilantes?
This is the hard part as there are no defined "groups." The paths (classes) are directly tied to factions which have their own motivations and goals. Generally factions follow one of 3 philosophies: "embrace change and progress", "maintain tradition and order", and "unaligned". Once characters are made, we have to look at the philosophies and decide why they would work together for some mission.
Last edited April 5, 2024 4:58 am
Apr 5, 2024 10:22 am
Very interesting mechanics ! And I like the positive approach to cyberpunk! But probably I have too many games right now. So if playing with pre-gens will be allowed - pleas keep me on wait-list. And hope the game will be public to become observator:)
Apr 5, 2024 3:52 pm
Is this like Kamigawa Neon Dinasty?
Apr 5, 2024 11:28 pm
Appalahi says:
Is this like Kamigawa Neon Dinasty?
Its like a mix of original Kamigawa and Neon Dynasty, but a little lighter in tone and the tech is more modern day with a few differences.
Apr 6, 2024 2:28 am
I'm applying! Thanks.

A quick look at the book, probably will try human / eiko / earth dragons, aiming at preserving the tradition of the honorable warrior and not much into tech.
Last edited April 6, 2024 3:50 am
Apr 6, 2024 3:22 am
I see a happy queue here, so I'm just gonna stand a bit further behind. Enjoyed what I read on NewEdo thus far, have a blast!
Apr 6, 2024 7:17 pm
I would like to apply if it’s still possible. I really want to play a cyborg dealing with her ‘humanity’ while also wielding a katana with honor.
Apr 8, 2024 1:44 pm
Ok I've selected my players. Invites sent to @gnomius @Tickettbror @Starsong @Ysolde @saevikas. Thanks for everyone who showed interest. I made the game public so if anyone is interested they can follow along.
Apr 8, 2024 1:48 pm
Thanks! Lets explore new edo.
Apr 9, 2024 5:00 pm
nezzeraj says:
Ok I've selected my players. Invites sent to @gnomius @Tickettbror @Starsong @Ysolde @saevikas. Thanks for everyone who showed interest. I made the game public so if anyone is interested they can follow along.
Thanks for making the game public! It'll be fun to follow along and learn more about this system.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.