[Interest Check] Fate Post Apocalyptic

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedFate CorePublic3 / weekAlepous
The Apocalypse came swiftly. It began with the draining of water, caused by rampant fracking for petroleum. These actions led to the formation of vast underground caverns, siphoning the surface water dry. The ensuing wars for the remaining water, food and dwindling natural resources were catastrophic. In a final bid to preserve humanity, some nations constructed underground vaults housing cryostasis pods. You are among the fortunate few selected to enter a cryopod, awakening a century after the Last Great War. This is your story of survival.

Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am
Hello people. This is an idea I am working for some time now. I still do not know what may happen. I am thinking of running a post apocalyptic campaign, combining different elements from various RPGs and franchises. I believe the best system to run it would be FATE.

Pitch.
Sometime in the future the apocalypse happens. The characters have to survive in the harsh lands using the lost tech and living off their vehicles or by other means. They can have mutant powers, bionics (with "psyberpsychosis" being prevalent) and I am still thinking of having cars or mechs or both. Although most of the planet is a wasteland, there are Megacities where the population is dense and the living conditions are harsh too.

(I can compile a cloud with most, if not all, reference material to binge if you want)

Inspiration / Influences / RPGs that would like to use:
*Mutant Year Zero
*This is not a Test (skirmish game)
*Fallout
*SCP
*Mad Max (not an RPG)
*Salvage Union
*Gaslands (skirmish game)
*S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
*Cyberpunk RED
*Atomic Highway
*Tales from the Loop
*Judge Dredd (The Cursed Earth expansion?)
*Necromunda (skirmish game)
*Lancer
*others
Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am
Oh you know I'm down.
Apr 19, 2024 9:43 am
I love me some fate, and some post apocalypse. I would love to join
Apr 19, 2024 1:10 pm
Hi, I don't have much experience with Fate, but I heard it's a great system and I would love to be a part of this if you will have me
Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm
Sounds great! I am interested if it is Fate condensed.
Learning another Condensed game right now and I'd like to stick to one version of Fate for now to avoid confusion.
Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm
I dont know fate, but I’m interested in learning more about this, and would possibly love to be a part of it.
Apr 19, 2024 10:27 pm
@Alepous and @ClaCle, you're actually each in one of my two Fate games.
Apr 20, 2024 5:07 am
I know we are in a Fate game. And that's why I got hooked, the Fate system is so flexible, especially when you want to make a big setting.

My concerns, if I add vehicles, how the players acquire them? Do they have access from the start or find them during the campaign? In Mad Max, Max has the Interceptor from the start. In Armored Core or other Mecha settings, you have the mecha from the start too.
Apr 20, 2024 9:00 am
JoshuaMabry says:
@Alepous and @ClaCle, you're actually each in one of my two Fate games.
I know. I am already loving the system :) but that is also why I want to stick to condensed. To not get confused.
Apr 20, 2024 9:52 am
Alepous says:
My concerns, if I add vehicles, how the players acquire them? Do they have access from the start or find them during the campaign? In Mad Max, Max has the Interceptor from the start. In Armored Core or other Mecha settings, you have the mecha from the start too.
There are a couple of ways this has been done in Fate.

Tie an aspect/stunt to the vehicle/mech. Anyone who wants a vehicle should devote at least one aspect to it.
Use the Resource skill to dictate the vehicles the character has access to. The more resources the character has the better the vehicle.
Just give everyone a vehicle. For a game about mechs the assumption might be that everyone has a mech.

Fate games like Camelot Trigger and Tachyon Squadron have sophisticated rules to do with vehicles.

The main question to ask with anything in Fate is what is its place in the fiction? If the vehicle has a central role then it's worth representing it somehow (maybe one of the things above). If the vehicle is part, but not the main part, of the story I'd probably go for something simple like Resources.
Apr 20, 2024 6:47 pm
Yes, it will be Fate Condensed. Sure, a vehicle should be an aspect. I will start compiling stuff tonight.
Apr 21, 2024 8:24 am
Is there enough petrol or batteries out there to keep the vehicles going? :)
Apr 21, 2024 9:27 am
That's an issue when surviving on the Wasteland. There will be ways to get fuel though, either in settlements or megacities or other.
Apr 23, 2024 9:44 am
Pitch:"The Apocalypse came swiftly. It began with the draining of water, caused by rampant fracking for petroleum. These actions led to the formation of vast underground caverns, siphoning the surface water dry. The ensuing wars for the remaining water, food and dwindling natural resources were catastrophic. In a final bid to preserve humanity, some nations constructed underground vaults housing cryostasis pods. You are among the fortunate few selected to enter a cryopod, awakening a century after the Last Great War. This is your story of survival."

System:FATE Condensed

Lines and Veils:This is a mature game, think action movies of 80s, no extreme gore and violence.

Inclusivity:Obviously, everyone is allowed. Be courteous with the other players and when roleplaying your PC.

Still working on resources and small stuff. I see we have a viable group. So now I post the game and invite the players? (first time DM'ing here)
Last edited April 23, 2024 9:51 am
Apr 23, 2024 10:21 am
That’s you’re next step yes.
Apr 25, 2024 12:51 pm
Living in vehicles travelling through inhospitable land makes me think of Deserts of Kharak, or perhaps the original concept of Shipbreakers. Though the idea of awakening from a century of cryostasis reads like something that would make a wanderer-style approach to survival less likely (what with lacking the proper skill set or equipment geared towards the current era).

Also, I see LANCER among the influences and that one seems interesting given the apocalyptic context, but also could mean different things depending on what aspects of it are emphasised.

But I'm guessing there are already enough candidates to fill all the slots, right?
Apr 26, 2024 8:14 am
It seems we are at full capacity right now. I can have you in mind if a slot is open. Deserts of Kharak, pretty little game, although I enjoyed the original Homeworld games better.

Yes, Lancer and Salvage Union have very detailed mech construction rules and you can have a mecha if you want, although too much technology on the Wasteland has its drawbacks. Getting fuel is one of them.

The starting point of a character is an indication for the RP, not exaclty what will happen or he is ready to tackle the New World, as players start with a blank sheet. You don't know what has happened while you were in stasis.
Last edited April 26, 2024 8:14 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.