Characters

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 24, 2024 2:52 am
Hey guys! Once everyone is in, we can start here. Someone already made a character sheet and claimed the position of local rogue, but you guys can start by coming up with a super basic character sketch here.
Apr 24, 2024 4:23 am
Anything in this can be tweaked to better fit.

Reem is an orphan who spent almost half of her life on the streets of Cairo. Dark haired and dark eyed, she looks somewhere between fifteen and twenty, with a bright smile and an impish look in her eyes that hints at her love of adventures. Her dad was British educated, so she picked up speaking, reading and writing English before his death when she was nine. With no family and no connections, she’s made her living as a servant, a pickpocket, a tour guide, a nanny, a waitress, and a camel handler (a job she was supremely unqualified for and lost quickly). She’s managed to convince these explorers that she’s an expert on the ancient legends of the Pharaohs in hopes of coin and possibly some tomb treasures to set her up comfortably.
Last edited April 24, 2024 6:29 am
Apr 24, 2024 10:30 am
I love that! Also I don't know if I accepted or rejected your character sheet. I meant to accept it, but I have fat thumbs.
Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm
I was thinking of making this character: Sarah Bishop, an American woman and middle daughter lost amongst her many siblings for attention and education from her parents. The family is one of the nouveau riche, but Sarah did not seem to be particularly skilled or educated in anything. She is on the tail end of eligible marrying age and has decided to leave the social milieu behind by escaping to an Egyptian archaeological adventure, what fun! She may be able to afford her tools, but she certainly does not know how to use them! My inspiration is a little bit Amelia Peabody series.
Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pm
Tomas McAngus, Medic in the last war. He hasn't adjusted to life without explosions and is looking to stay employed. Seeing the add for some archaeology venture to Egypt was right up his alley. Grabbing his gear he went right down and applied.
Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm
Sir Aldus Lemmington-Smythe, self-taught Egyptologist and collector ready to show those dimwits at the British Museum what he can do with a lot of money, a large library and a can do attitude!
Apr 24, 2024 3:14 pm
I haven't throught haracter concept just yet. Maybe an American Journalist.
Apr 24, 2024 9:58 pm
So a thief, a medic, an expert, and a rich lady. Maybe a security or gunslinger person last?
Apr 24, 2024 11:00 pm
Is this like pulp (1920s-ish) or modern age?
Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am
Not /mostly/ a thief. Mostly a temp with an exaggerated resume.
Apr 25, 2024 1:07 am
Mhoram100 says:
Not /mostly/ a thief. Mostly a temp with an exaggerated resume.
Gotcha, my bad.
Apr 25, 2024 1:08 am
kalajel says:
Is this like pulp (1920s-ish) or modern age?
I was thinking modern age, unless everyone wants it to be pulp. I think technology can make things easier and let us hand wave away problems we don't want to deal with, like travel and long distance communications, and online shopping. But in general, you will be a bit isolated in the desert, so you will have access to the tech you bring and not too much more.
Apr 25, 2024 2:21 am
Also, while we are finishing our characters, now is a good time to discuss things we want to see in the campaign and ideas that we have. Also, this game shouldn't have anything too serious or heavy, but feel free to mention anything you don't want in the game, especially if it is likely to come up. If mummies are a red card for you, this might be the wrong game :)
Apr 25, 2024 2:40 am
Also I can introduce your first NPC! He is The Investor, a rich mysterious man who is funding your expedition. His reasons are personal, and you know very little about him, but he insists on accompanying you to ensure that his ends are met. He will meet you at the site.
Apr 25, 2024 5:21 am
I was definitely assuming that we’d be dealing with British dominated 1920s because otherwise realism dictates that Egyptian national authorities would be overseeing and claiming any antiquities. The London Museum is the biggest active crime scene in history because there used to be no one with the clout to stop them helping themselves to whatever they could ‘find’.

Unless we are just proper thieves and doing this all under cover of night.
Apr 25, 2024 10:20 am
Yes, I was thinking this was an off the record dig and maybe the authorities were bribed.
Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am
I feel the same as Mhoram. In the 1920's you can enter into this as an exciting adventure as you are blind to colonialism and such. In the modern day, we're just thieves and tomb robbers and that's a completely different game.
Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm
Cool, let's make it the 1920s then :). I don't want the morality of grave robbing to be something we worry about, so I am on board.
Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm
I'm glad, because I made my character under the assumption this was the 1920s... XD

Sexual violence of any kind is pretty much my only no-no, I have no problem with anything else.

I'll go ahead and work on the equipment for my character then.
Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm
Is equipment a thing in this system?

Based on reading the play example I assumed it was like: "Do anything 1" I pull out my trusty torches:
Roll 1d6: 1-5: sorry they're too damp
6: they light up without a problem, add skill Preparedness: 2 to my character sheet.
Last edited April 25, 2024 4:34 pm
Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm
I had kinda assumed it was 1920s too due to the political turmoil in Egypt right now, though helping out the new Grand Egyptian Museum that opened would have been a cool idea as well. Thanks for your flexibility @GameMaster! I second kalajel's lines and veils.

Is there a specific character template recommended to submit to the game?
Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm
I feel like in this sort of system, equipment are more for flavor than anything...
Apr 25, 2024 6:52 pm
kalajel says:
I'm glad, because I made my character under the assumption this was the 1920s... XD

Sexual violence of any kind is pretty much my only no-no, I have no problem with anything else.

I'll go ahead and work on the equipment for my character then.
I agree, sexual violence is out. Although I'd be amazed if anyone worked that into this game. *Frantically rewrites plot hooks*
Apr 25, 2024 6:54 pm
Mhoram100 says:
Is equipment a thing in this system?

Based on reading the play example I assumed it was like: "Do anything 1" I pull out my trusty torches:
Roll 1d6: 1-5: sorry they're too damp
6: they light up without a problem, add skill Preparedness: 2 to my character sheet.
Yes, that seems right. I was planning on letting everyone start with basic equipment and you could always roll later for something more specialized or something you didn't know you need.
Apr 25, 2024 6:55 pm
quilltid says:
I had kinda assumed it was 1920s too due to the political turmoil in Egypt right now, though helping out the new Grand Egyptian Museum that opened would have been a cool idea as well. Thanks for your flexibility @GameMaster! I second kalajel's lines and veils.

Is there a specific character template recommended to submit to the game?
I didn't even think about modern Egyptian turmoil, I'm glad we're dodging all that!

And no, the character sheet starts pretty empty, just a brief description of yourself and your gear and the Do Anything Lv I skill. So whatever helps you keep track of that works great for me.
Apr 25, 2024 6:57 pm
Okay, so we have rules, basic character concepts, off limit things, and equipment on the table. I think that's it for the startup stuff, so if everyone wants to finalize their character stuff, I think I'll get the game started tomorrow night or Saturday morning!
Apr 26, 2024 12:35 am
I'm ready to start when everyone else is.
Apr 26, 2024 7:01 pm
Okay, I'm making the gameplay thread so we can get started tonight! Also we might have one more if they decide to join.
Apr 26, 2024 7:39 pm
Sounds like a gunslinger type may still be needed, so for my concept:

A White Russian emigre who escaped to Egypt after the Bolsheviks took over. He may or may not be as heroic as he claims to be, but is desperate for money to finance his new life in Egypt and so will say anything to get work. Has a penchant for getting drunk and reciting poetry.

Think a Russian version of Flashman or Benny from The Mummy movies.
Apr 26, 2024 7:54 pm
Man, Benny was such an unscrupulous twit. Love that guy.
Apr 27, 2024 8:30 am
I love it! A perfectly rounded party now!
Apr 27, 2024 10:13 pm
How do I do a custom name and portrait for the game in the other thread?
Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm
Mhoram100 says:
@Mhoram100 Do you mean how to post as your character in the other thread? I think you need to submit your character in game details and the GM will approve it so you can start posting as such.
Apr 28, 2024 1:16 am
I've approved every character that came to me, so don't worry about that part!
Apr 28, 2024 8:38 am
I’m still not seeing how to make my post go up as my character rather than myself in the thread.
Apr 28, 2024 11:43 am
So when you go to make your post, right under the Quick Reply title, there is a little line that says Post as: and a drop down menu. If you have a character submitted for the game, you can change the option from Player to your character name and the post will appear as your character. If you added a picture to your character sheet, this picture will appear with your post. I just approved you your character sheet, and it has a picture, so that should show up when you post as your character.
Apr 28, 2024 11:45 am
Verrain is the only one without a character sheet submitted. You are welcome to submit one, or if you want to keep track of your skills some other way (i.e. paper and pen) that's fine too.
Apr 28, 2024 3:02 pm
Hey everyone, I just want to apologize for not jumping in on the introductions this morning. I’m having a lot of pain after oral surgery Friday morning and every time I’ve tried to write up my intro I’ve been having a really hard time concentrating. Hopefully better by tonight. If you’d like to just play through on the ‘Reem hasn’t show up yet’ and possibye ‘Reem is nearby observing the party dynamic clandestinely without making contact’ so you all can play through, that’s perfectly fine.
Apr 28, 2024 3:22 pm
Character sheet submitted. Will post later today after my day of tutoring is done.
Apr 28, 2024 6:25 pm
Mhoram100 says:
[In a thick Bostonian accent]
"Boy, do I got a scoop for ya buddy! Like our pal quiltid over there said, once your character has been approved by the GM, you'll have a small roll down menu in the quick reply section like this..."

https://i.imgur.com/dN8YaNz.png

"Of course, what you wanna do is make it look like this, but with your character's name instead of yours truly..."

https://i.imgur.com/YaT44ab.png

"And there ya go! Ya should have made a post using your character's name and avatar! I mean, you did put an avatar for your character on his character sheet, right? Yeah, I know, our GM explained it already, but I felt some illustrations might help, some people are more visual, ya know."
Apr 28, 2024 8:01 pm
Thanks. Once the GM approved my character the Post As appeared. And I created a pic for her last night. :)
Apr 30, 2024 3:47 am
Again, apologies for the late message I was in a considerable amount of pain yesterday after a dental procedure and was unable to meaningfully write.
May 4, 2024 1:30 pm
Apologies all. We just got the news that my father-in-law's health is failing and we made the decision to put him into hospice care. Much as I wanted to try this, it is probably best that I withdraw now at the start rather than disappear in the middle.
May 5, 2024 5:44 pm
Oh no! Best of luck and make sure to take care of yourself too.
May 7, 2024 1:31 am
@Verrain I'm very sorry to hear about your father-in-law's recent health changes. Wishing you and your family peace and comfort during this time.
May 7, 2024 12:20 pm
Just a quick 'reality' check - Did we agree we're playing in the 1920's and then hop on a helicopter big enough for 6 or more?
May 7, 2024 2:33 pm
My guy, I don't know much about helicopters. Would a private jet be better? Maybe a big bird swooped down and carried you on its back? :) Feel free to envision the transportation however you want. I did not think that was an important detail in the game, so I went with whatever was convenient and seemed expensive. It could just as easily have been a limo or a train. Or a stork.
May 7, 2024 6:02 pm
Let say it was 2 or 3 helicopters. ;)
May 7, 2024 7:50 pm
I think we can suspend our disbelief with both the helos and the mummies ;)
May 8, 2024 1:38 pm
It was less a question about disbelief and more of the setting.
May 26, 2024 1:17 am
I’m so sorry that I’ve been so absent. I’ve been dealing with a whole bunch of dental pain/issues and gamersplane is naggy but not naggy in a way that lets me know how far behind I had gotten.
May 26, 2024 2:51 pm
No worries, make sure to take care of yourself!
Jun 3, 2024 6:08 pm
Hey guys! I'm adding a new player! More details to follow :)
Jun 3, 2024 6:14 pm
Hi everyone. I'll read through the threads, but otherwise just let me know what's needed to jump in!
Jun 3, 2024 6:24 pm
Welcome!
Jun 3, 2024 6:43 pm
@onceandfuture Nice to have you! Excited to see how your character joins the group.
Jun 3, 2024 6:47 pm
I suggested they play The Investor or even The Mummy just to spice things up. All ideas are welcome.
Jun 3, 2024 7:02 pm
Or the mysterious man who gave me the scarab... Anyways, welcome!
Jun 3, 2024 10:15 pm
Ooh that's a good idea too!
Jun 4, 2024 9:31 am
Some fun options, but I'm really enjoying how you're weaving those specific characters into your stories, and each of them seems more than a little powerful already! I reckon I'll go with one of the bodyguards instead, if you think that would be a good fit.

A tall and bulky man in his late thirties, Henry Sommers has a buzz cut and not much in the way of a moral compass. He was working passage on a cargo ship when a bar fight gone wrong triggered his arrest and imprisonment in Alexandria. A few months into a twenty year sentence, he was mysteriously released and taken into the employ of the man he calls the Boss. He's worked for The Investor ever since.
Jun 4, 2024 11:36 am
I love it, that sounds perfect! Character sheets for this game are basically just a page to store the skills you acquire, as well as your XP count, so if you spin one up real fast, we can get you going!
Jun 5, 2024 7:31 am
That's all done. Would it be OK if Sommers got caught on the near side of the rock fall, with the main party? If so, maybe he's caught under some rubble and I'll make a roll to try and squeeze out.
Jun 5, 2024 10:43 pm
Sure, that sounds great. I wasn't sure if you wanted to join the PCs now or head off with The Investor, so this clarified things.
Jun 15, 2024 12:39 am
Just a heads up, I will be on vacation with my family for the next week. I will still have internet so I should still be able to check things once a day, but I will be slower posting. Go ahead and have my character support wherever needed if I cannot respond in time.
Jun 16, 2024 7:47 pm
Enjoy your vacation!
Aug 12, 2024 11:01 pm
I'm terribly sorry everyone, but I don't think I can continue playing in this game: https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/1260/?p=1694405#p1694405
Aug 12, 2024 11:06 pm
Sorry to hear that, I hope everything goes quickly and smoothly for you
Aug 13, 2024 1:41 am
Very sorry to hear about your situation, but good to hear you are trying to get yourself into a safer spot. Hope your search for a better living place turns out better and quicker than you expect!
Aug 19, 2024 4:48 pm
I agree, take care of yourself and best of luck!
Aug 22, 2024 1:16 am
I’m dealing with a family illness right now. Could I ask Reem to be piloted for me for at least a few more days?
Aug 22, 2024 6:07 pm
Sure, I'll move Reem along for you, no worries!
Aug 22, 2024 6:39 pm
Hey guys, if you love my games and can't get enough, I started a new Avatar Legends game. AL is actually my preferred system, and I invite you all to check it out!

https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/34248/?p=1701440#p1701440

You do not have permission to post in this thread.