Duo - Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 6, 2024 12:44 am
Seeking a GM to run a Duo adventure for myself and the player Sardis.

We are interested in a Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser-esque game... A pair of thieves, Fafhrd a Barbarian/Rogue and the Grey Mouser a Wizard/Rogue.

The pair travel all over taking jobs as sellswords, hunting down bounty's and stealing whatever they can get their hands on if they think they can get away with it with the occasional bar room brawl.

The world is not overly important but we are most familiar with Faerun.

We are hoping for a long-term game to level them up from their early beginnings to becoming legendary thieves.

We originally thought Pathfinder 1e would be the system we are looking for... if so,
[ +- ] If Pathfinder 1e
Other systems we've looked at that might be good for this game:

- 3.0, 3.5, 5e
- Savage Worlds
- Dungeon Crawl Classics
- 13th Age
- 6th Edition Hero System (Fantasy)
- Sword of the Serpentine RPG
- Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers Of Hyperborea 2e
- Cortex Prime
- Barbarians of Lemuria (a rules lite system)
- Swords & Wizardry
- City of Mist (would need some tweeting)
- Swords and Wizardry
- Blades in the Dark
- Eyes Beyond the Torchlight
- Shadow of the Demon Lord

Any interested GM's, if you have a System you think might work please suggest it. There is a good chance we can work with it.
Last edited July 15, 2024 10:08 am
Jun 6, 2024 5:00 am
Fritz Leiber and Paizo are two great tastes that tasted great together. I want to join the party.
Jun 6, 2024 10:31 am
Hey nepets

unless you're offering to GM, this game is intended to be a strict Duo of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. I would be playing Fafhrd and Sardis would be playing the Gray Mouser.
Last edited June 6, 2024 12:07 pm
Jun 7, 2024 11:25 pm
Balthazar says:
unless you're offering to GM.
No is the short answer. Obviously, I misunderstood your posting when I initially replied. The idea of running a game does appeal to me, but it would be my own homebrew world. I confess I was intrigued enough by your suggestion that I took a moment to reread the Netwon chapter from the first printing of the "AD&D Deities and Demigods" book.
Jun 7, 2024 11:38 pm
nepets says:
No is the short answer. Obviously, I misunderstood your posting when I initially replied. The idea of running a game does appeal to me, but it would be my own homebrew world. I confess I was intrigued enough by your suggestion that I took a moment to reread the Netwon chapter from the first printing of the "AD&D Deities and Demigods" book.
We are not opposed to a homebrew world... some or the best games I've played over the past 38 years used homebrewed worlds.
Last edited June 7, 2024 11:52 pm
Jun 8, 2024 2:29 pm
Good luck finding a GM. If you struggle to land one, also take a peek at DCC's Lankhmar setting / rules. It's made for this sort of thing. :)
Jul 2, 2024 5:56 am
Lankmar was also a well-published setting for early D&D, so I admit I have a soft spot for Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. It's very appropriate too that it'll be a two-player game (can't imagine adding to the party). I do have a bunch of solid material somewhere that could be dusted off.

Unfortunately my preferences at the moment lean away from PF and gestalt builds and third party sources, so I'd struggle a lot just to get myself to work at it. Popped in here to wish you two the best in finding a GM! :)
Jul 2, 2024 10:31 am
BedzoneII,

As to your concerns, gestalt isn't a requirement... as for why we chose PF1 was because we were looking for classes for a game and came across these two classes (Wolfshead, a Barbarian/Rogue hybrid and Trickster, a Wizard/Rogue hybrid) which brought us to think they would be the perfect classes to represent 2 of our favorite fantasy heroes.

Seeing that your interest is piqued, would you possibly want to pitch a system you could see yourself running such a game under and lay out what classes from that system you feel might be used to build these 2 legendary characters.
Last edited July 4, 2024 10:13 pm
Jul 5, 2024 6:12 pm
I've started looking at other systems and it seems Savage Worlds and Dungeon Crawl Classics have plenty of Lankhmar content.

DDC looks to basically be a d20 system very much like 3.0/3.5 and Savage Worlds seems very similar to Serenity RPG (Cortex).

So, I think we could easily create characters and play using either of these systems.... their benefit being that they already have setting content that would make a potential GM's job a lot easier.

EDIT: Gestalted 13th Age looks like a good system to recreate Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser as well.

But still free to suggest other systems you feel might work for you as a GM...
Last edited July 6, 2024 3:15 pm
Jul 6, 2024 3:30 pm
6th Edition Hero System for Fantasy looks to be highly customizable and a good fit for designing Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

Fafhrd would add the Fighter (Heavy) or Barbarian, Bard, Rogue and Archer Templates and The Gray Mouser would add the Fighter (Light), Warrior- Mage (second type), Assassin and Rogue Templates.
Last edited July 6, 2024 6:28 pm
Jul 6, 2024 6:31 pm
You might also consider the Sword of the Serpentine RPG. It's basically built to cover any city-based fantasy setting, with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser as a primary inspiration.
Jul 6, 2024 9:19 pm
SavageBob says:
You might also consider the Sword of the Serpentine RPG. It's basically built to cover any city-based fantasy setting, with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser as a primary inspiration.
Looks like an interesting system... Using 13 build points per character (based on 2 players), more with a generous DM :-) would definitely get them close to the abilities they would need... I'm not sure though on how skald/bard abilities would be emulated.

Edit: Perhaps a Bard would use sorcery spheres that only affect Morale (like Fear and Luck).
Last edited July 6, 2024 10:01 pm
Jul 6, 2024 9:39 pm
Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers Of Hyperborea 2e looks like it could do the trick as well... As a Gestalt build

Fafhrd = Fighter // Thief (Bard)

Gray Mouser = Fighter // Thief (Legerdemainist)
Last edited July 6, 2024 9:43 pm
Jul 11, 2024 1:06 pm
Eyes beyond the Torchlight

and

Blades in the Dark

are two more systems that might work with some tweeking.
Jul 15, 2024 10:07 am
I just joined a game using Shadow of the Demon Lord and it too looks like it would work well to create Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
Jul 15, 2024 1:24 pm
SavageBob says:
I just started reading this and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are mentioned specifically. Looks like a cool game!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.