Hide in sheets but show in selector

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 17, 2024 4:33 pm
Basically I'm trying to figure out a way to have container items in my character sheet be grouped in another container or something, and have these items show up in the selector when using the sheet. For example with 5ed I'd have cantrips being the top level container, which shows in the sheet an can be expanded to show the cantrips within, aka firebolt, mage hand, etc, and these cantrips would also be containers with you having to select the cantrip to see the details. All of this would be in a specific section of the sheet, in this case spells, and would show up when selecting a sheet when making posts as either cantrips or spells. Is nesting containers in this way possible, and if so how?

Edit: Alternatively if that's not possible, is there a way to close # type objects under abilities without closing the abilities object? Basically make it so it's
Cantrips
#
#
#
Level 1
#
#
#
Level 2
Last edited June 17, 2024 5:51 pm
Jun 17, 2024 5:07 pm
Kind of like this?
[ +- ] Spells

[spoiler="Spells"]
[abilities="Cantrips"]
#firebolt
OMG IM ON FIRE
#Prestidigitation
cool stuff at will
[/abilities]
[/spoiler]
Jun 17, 2024 5:46 pm
Yes, but I'd want the abilities to be the top level object, which does not seem to work as that causes this:

Cantrips

[ +- ] Spells
firebolt
Notes
OMG IM ON FIRE
Prestidigitation
Notes
cool stuff at will
Last edited June 17, 2024 9:07 pm
Jun 17, 2024 10:02 pm
you could use the snippet tag to create a nested spoiler:
[ +- ] Cantrips
The code for this is:

[spoiler="Cantrips"]
[snippet=level 1]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[snippet=level 2]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[snippet=level 3]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[/spoiler]
Jun 17, 2024 10:21 pm
Do you want them all in one selector or is it okay to have them in different selectors: Cantrips, 1st Level Spells, etc
Jun 17, 2024 11:10 pm
How about this?
[ +- ] Spells

[spoiler="Spells"]
[abilities="Cantrips"]
#firebolt
OMG IM ON FIRE
#Prestidigitation
cool stuff at will
[/abilities]

[abilities="Level 1 Spells"]
#Magic Missile
Pew pew
#Sleep
A pinch of sand
[/abilities]
[/spoiler]
Jun 18, 2024 12:03 am
Dr_B says:
you could use the snippet tag to create a nested spoiler:
[ +- ] Cantrips
The code for this is:

[spoiler="Cantrips"]
[snippet=level 1]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[snippet=level 2]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[snippet=level 3]-
-
-
[/snippet]
[/spoiler]
That's probably the best solution I've seen so far, but I would prefer if there was a way to separate those snipets, as I have other snipets in my sheet and do not really want them to be in the same drop-down as my spells.
Chalrytharendir says:
Do you want them all in one selector or is it okay to have them in different selectors: Cantrips, 1st Level Spells, etc
I'm fine with either all spells in the same selector or a selector for each spell level.
Qralloq says:
How about this?
[ +- ] Spells

[spoiler="Spells"]
[abilities="Cantrips"]
#firebolt
OMG IM ON FIRE
#Prestidigitation
cool stuff at will
[/abilities]

[abilities="Level 1 Spells"]
#Magic Missile
Pew pew
#Sleep
A pinch of sand
[/abilities]
[/spoiler]
I want the abilities container to be highest level one so it shows up directly on the sheet.

For better clarification, I want my sheet to be either:
[Abilities]
[Container 1 aka cantrips]
[Spell 1 Container]
[Spell 2 Container]
[Spell 3 Container]
[Container 2 aka level 1]
[Spell 4 Container]
[Spell 5 Container]
[Spell 6 Container]

Or for it to look like:
[Abilities]
[Bold Cantrips Title/Separator]
[Spell 1 Container]
[Spell 2 Container]
[Spell 3 Container]
[Bold Level 1 Title/Separator]
[Spell 4 Container]
[Spell 5 Container]
[Spell 6 Container]

In either case the spells 1-6 containers would be what shows in the drop-down, either as separate per level or all under 1 drop-down.
Last edited June 18, 2024 12:04 am
Jun 18, 2024 12:16 am
I did make a public character sheet that has all 5e spells.

Dnd 5e spells

I made this sheet sharable to all players so they can click on one when they cast it.
Jun 18, 2024 12:29 am
I don't think it's possible to put other tags inside the abilities tag.
Jun 18, 2024 3:26 am
Snippets (plural!) tag can be folded into a spoiler and will create a separate snippet category. However, if you put it inside the ability tag, it has a side-effect of duplicating all # containers (and it doesn't really look great).

Spells

[ +- ] Cantrips

But if you don't need for "Spells" to be an ability section, you can replace it with a header.
Spells
[ +- ] Cantrips

Admittedly it still looks questionable, but at least it will separate your snippets into categories.
Jun 18, 2024 3:43 am
This is a similar option using a header formatted like an abilities tag with nested spoiler/abilities tags for each category.

Spellbook
[ +- ] Cantrips
[ +- ] Level 1 Spells

It will show up as separate drop-downs for each category. I don't think there's a way to do what you want with a single drop-down.
Jun 18, 2024 3:50 am
Update: you can also do this! Spell snippets will be just "Snippets" in the drop down menu, but stuff under "Actual snippets" will have its own category.

Actual snippets

Snippet 1
Notes
Content
Snippet 2
Notes
Content

Spells

[ +- ] Cantrips
[ +- ] Level 1 Spells
Last edited June 18, 2024 3:54 am
Jun 18, 2024 4:22 am
Wow, one drop-down, nice hack!
Jun 18, 2024 8:23 pm
So I did manage to get something I was happy with working. Essentially I used abilities as the highest level item, but put the actual spells and stuff below it, instead of within. Here's how it actually looks in my sheet, it's from a pf2 sorcerer.

Spells

Level Spell slots

Focus Points
[ +- ] Focus Spells
[ +- ] Cantrips
[ +- ] Level 1 Spells
Last edited June 18, 2024 8:24 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.