Play by Post Dungeon Crawling Advice

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 26, 2024 12:44 pm
Hi everyone,

As I'm running more games, I am realizing that one of the things I like to do for the games I run is somewhat difficult in play by posts, and that would be dungeon crawling. I'm not an old school player, so to keep us on the same page when I say dungeon crawling I mean using maps like those made by paratime design and having players explore the rooms, using a combination of set piece rooms where major events happen and wondering enemies to add surprise to other rooms.

The main friction that I see is how slow this can go. If the players come to an intersection, I don't want to just declare "you go right", but at the same time such a decision isn't very fast and thus the time it takes players to say where they want to go and such makes such a style sluggish. Not a knock on the players, but on the style merging with play by posts.

Should I try to avoid using dungeon crawls on PbPs? Is there a way to make them faster without removing agency? Have any of you found anything that works well for you?
Jun 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Dungeon Crawls are WAY more fun at an actual table than in PbP. I think some of it is the speed at which the action takes place (or, rather, the lack of it) in PbP and the relative focus on Combat that tends to sour pure Dungeon Crawls. Aside from combat and a rare few puzzles (because they can take a month to resolve) there's not much RolePlay to do in dungeons and that's usually where most people get their PbP engagement factor.

As to how to remedy the situation? Big ask, there... My option would to be add non-combat engagement factors for the PCs to deal with, keep the combat novel and short except for one or two big battles, let them do awesome things. Another issue is that sometimes Dungeon Crawls can devolve into a Players v. GM dynamic (perceived or real) and that's never a good time...
Jun 26, 2024 1:16 pm
Having your players define their default actions that you can fall back if they havent responded within their allotted time.
Quote:
Rouge: Search for traps
Fighter: Attack the enemy
ect...
If there is an abetary choice between the south or the north corridor, don't wait for the players to make that decision. Roll a die* and move on in the dungeon.
OOC:
* There is an agreement that you will not lead them into a save'n'suck trap this way
If the choice is important, or have more information bout the choice, then they should make the choice.

Provide a map, so the players know how fare they have come, and what the need to explore still.
Last edited June 26, 2024 1:19 pm
Jun 26, 2024 1:31 pm
For specifically the problem of decisions taking too long to discuss, I think polls are a good solution for simple cases. Clicking a poll option takes less effort than posting, can be done with little time and allows everyone to see what other players want right away.

Something like this?

Where are we going? Multi Public

Corridor covered in slime
Overgrown staircase
Ominously glowing bridge
No preference
Jun 26, 2024 2:00 pm
Maybe don't let the players spend time exploring 'empty rooms' where nothing happens, if there is an empty room to the east and a room that has something interesting to the west, tell them "the room to the east is empty" and let them trust the GM that this is true. They can then decide to explore the west room or not, but that cuts down on many decision-points in a classic dungeon crawl.

The players can say beforehand how much effort their characters are putting into investigating every nook and cranny and you can handwave that they spent the agreed upon time doing so where nothing happened. This lets you still use up their light and food, and roll for wandering monsters or whatever you want to do in the dungeon.

Think about point-crawls rather than hex-crawls. You can look up the difference, but point-crawls only concern themselves with the interesting points and don't concern themselves with the nitty-gritty in between.

Maybe give the players the whole map, or most of the map, and let them tell you what looks interesting. The players can be disciplined and not act on their knowledge of stuff their characters have not been to, if they can't, you can't use this technique. YMMV.
Jun 26, 2024 2:26 pm
Here's a post from my long running Pathfinder game of Mummy's Mask which has a lot of tomb exploring.
Qralloq says:
The following ground rules for making the dungeon crawl experience move a little more swiftly

1. Assume that a rogue always takes 10 on trapfinding, and if necessary, a secondary rogue can act as backup for finding/disabling (she's also trained in those).

2. Anyone can decide which way to go, and by default we all agree to follow without having to post agreement. If the DM knows there's something that requires a little more discussion, he can slow us down.

3. Enforce a time limit on deciding which way to go before the DM decides for us. 24 to 36 hours without a decision and you'll be moved forward, or randomly if there is a choice.
Jun 27, 2024 4:45 am
Dungeon delving can indeed be a chore in the PbP format. Great comments above, but I believe one of the reasons it's fun live / at the table, and a bit boggy in our beloved text format is because of all the back-and-forth that's needed for true old school delving, where the GM is describing and the players are asking questions... and the GM is describing more... which might summon more questions, etc. In conversation, this can be rapid and engaging -- in text... it's just slow.

I tend to keep the delving to a minimum, and admit I don't dig 'standard operating procedure' type actions as it really just feels at that point like you're going through the motions. I'd lean towards smaller, shorter dungeons where there's lots going on -- factions, few rooms that are empty, etc. The five-room dungeon is a good model to follow for PbP, I think...
Jun 27, 2024 5:11 am
Tell your players about the traps. Skip the empty rooms. Assume the characters are competent.

It's a lot more interesting to ask HOW the players negotiate the swinging blade trap, than to ask for them to roll vs 2hp damage if they don't check every inch of a room.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.