[Interest Check] New or Classic 5e Modules

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 14, 2024 4:31 am
These days, my ttrpg activity (here online and irl) is as varied and eclectic as ever. Indeed, I've strayed far from my D&D 5e roots, planted the day I picked up the original Starter Set and played Lost Mine of Phandelver as a wee lass somewhere around 2015. It was during this reflection that I realized; not only do I miss 5e dearly, I still have a lot of its modules on my rpg bucket list: Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation, Ghosts of Saltmarsh, to name a few. Of particular importance to me is the dreary, terror-filled Underdark romp Out of the Abyss, a module which I actually ran to 4th-level with my friends several years ago. Alas, that game fizzled out too soon after, never to be picked up again.

That brings me to the point of this humble message. With no other avenue to scratch the itch of these modules in the back of my brain (I suppose I could solo any of them, but we all know it's not quite the same), does anyone have any interest in playing through a D&D 5e module or two, ran by yours truly? No need to worry if you've played through a particular module before; I anticipate many surprises for newbies and veterans alike, and I happen to believe (in the best of cases) that the dramatic irony of "spoilers" only enhances the experience. Who knows, perhaps we may even cross the streams of modules, or jump ship from one to another?

Anyway, if all of that above interests you, let's talk about what module(s) you would like to play (feel free to add to my suggestions), and what you and your character might bring to the table. If this post picks up enough steam, a game of 5e may be in our future. Looking forward to it!
Jul 14, 2024 6:09 am
Definitely interested. So many cool looking modules I have yet to experience, and you’re right, soloing is just not the same. You looking to do multiple modules concurrently? Or just a solid group to work through multiple campaigns with?
Jul 14, 2024 7:21 am
I would love to play a module! Honestly, I haven't played through any of them -- everything has been homebrew worlds.
Jul 14, 2024 7:36 am
While I strongly recommend anyone to play Tomb of Annihilation, I've DM it a few times and would hardly find anything new as a player. Besides it's content huge and I'm currently running a game here on GP starting with the last chapter and it looks like it will take 2-3 years to do just one chapter.

Me personally as a player would vote for CoS or GoS. Probably the modular GoS is better suited for the slow PBP. Not sure - never played GoS.
Jul 14, 2024 8:18 am
I have played a lot of D&D but never any modules, except for Netherdeep.
Most people run homebrew and the popular modules get filled up really fast.

Curse of Strahd is very high on my wishlist. If you run that I would love to play.
But I'd be open to any of the big modules. Frostmaiden and Avernus are also high on my wishlist.
Jul 14, 2024 10:39 am
Like many have stated, I would love to play any of those and never actually done them. I think you would likely discover that you will get more applicants than you need.
Jul 14, 2024 12:51 pm
Hi, back online here after a break.
I’d be up for any of those, esp CoS or GoS.
Cheers.
Jul 14, 2024 1:19 pm
I possess no real knowledge of gaming modules any more than the pretty titles but playing 5e always brings my complete interest.
Jul 14, 2024 3:12 pm
I will throw my hat in the ring as well if you open up some games! I was going to try a Curse of Strahd game in person, but the game never got started unfortunately and now I am curious to check it out. I have character concepts for any role needed, but I had prepared an exiled dwarf paladin for the Curse of Strahd game. I think that role would play well in the Out of Abyss module too if you end up running that campaign.
Jul 14, 2024 9:49 pm
Count me interested! You had me at 5e but then you were such a tease mentioning vampires! 😉

Now as to what I have to offer as a player.....I like to think I have some talent of evoking images which if you like to share the whole setting of a mood then I think you would find me an asset. I am known to write about thoughts and feelings so my post do tend to be on the longer side but I do try and keep them interesting so I think my characters are well developed in the minds of my fellow players.

I don't have a concept as of yet for a character but would lean toward a mage of some kind. One would think for as long as I have played that I should have a better grasp of the rules but I usually get excited over being cool and try to ignore those pesky things unless the GM absolutely insist! If I don't sound like a total mess and you would invite me to a game then I look forward to playing with you!
Jul 15, 2024 4:52 am
AceRancheros says:
Definitely interested. So many cool looking modules I have yet to experience, and you’re right, soloing is just not the same. You looking to do multiple modules concurrently? Or just a solid group to work through multiple campaigns with?
Looking for a solid group of 4-5 that are down to play through a module, if not get all the way to level 20 in a campaign. I understand that's a rather large commitment, which is why I'm willing to switch tracks occasionally to keep things from stagnating (e.g. spinning the narrative from one module to another if we get burnt out on one). That has happened to me many a time, so I'm planning for it at least once.
MaJunior says:
I would love to play a module! Honestly, I haven't played through any of them -- everything has been homebrew worlds.
I know you as a really great roleplayer from both games we've been in together, so I'd be glad to have you! Any module in particular catch your eye?
GreyWord says:
While I strongly recommend anyone to play Tomb of Annihilation, I've DM it a few times and would hardly find anything new as a player. Besides it's content huge and I'm currently running a game here on GP starting with the last chapter and it looks like it will take 2-3 years to do just one chapter.

Me personally as a player would vote for CoS or GoS. Probably the modular GoS is better suited for the slow PBP. Not sure - never played GoS.
I think GoS would be great for PbP; only a few of the adventures really segue into each other (the remade U1-3 series). That kind of time commitment is the reason I'm being so flexible with module choice. I am a big fan of the U1-3 series starting with U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, mainly because I ran some of it irl using Basic Fantasy RPG.
Shorty says:
I have played a lot of D&D but never any modules, except for Netherdeep.
Most people run homebrew and the popular modules get filled up really fast.

Curse of Strahd is very high on my wishlist. If you run that I would love to play.
But I'd be open to any of the big modules. Frostmaiden and Avernus are also high on my wishlist.
Those are also high on my wishlist; the sprawling, open-ended ones really draw me in. Based on the enthusiasm for it, I am eyeing Curse of Strahd a lot. There's a reason he's been a fan-favorite character for decades.
DrifterDwarf says:
Like many have stated, I would love to play any of those and never actually done them. I think you would likely discover that you will get more applicants than you need.
I see that's happening already! XD
quilltid says:
I will throw my hat in the ring as well if you open up some games! I was going to try a Curse of Strahd game in person, but the game never got started unfortunately and now I am curious to check it out. I have character concepts for any role needed, but I had prepared an exiled dwarf paladin for the Curse of Strahd game. I think that role would play well in the Out of Abyss module too if you end up running that campaign.
Sounds like an interesting character! Curse of Strahd is getting a lot of interest here, so I think you may be in luck.
CherokeeWind says:
Count me interested! You had me at 5e but then you were such a tease mentioning vampires! 😉

Now as to what I have to offer as a player.....I like to think I have some talent of evoking images which if you like to share the whole setting of a mood then I think you would find me an asset. I am known to write about thoughts and feelings so my post do tend to be on the longer side but I do try and keep them interesting so I think my characters are well developed in the minds of my fellow players.

I don't have a concept as of yet for a character but would lean toward a mage of some kind. One would think for as long as I have played that I should have a better grasp of the rules but I usually get excited over being cool and try to ignore those pesky things unless the GM absolutely insist! If I don't sound like a total mess and you would invite me to a game then I look forward to playing with you!
That is everything I like to hear! When I run games, I'm super focused on the emotional arcs of the PCs and how they change physically and mentally over the course of the story. Don't worry about rules; for me, being cool is usually the way to go!
Based on these replies, I'm looking at broader, more open-ended modules that are rich with character development like Curse of Strahd, Rime of the Frostmaiden, and Tomb of Annihilation. I will add, for those unaware, that Curse of Strahd, as steeped in horror as it is, contains a lot of themes that can be triggering or disturbing. If I ran this one, I would want to make as few changes to the material as possible. That may be a hard sell to some, so I'm willing to run some other modules that provide the same amount of roleplay and exploration.
Jul 15, 2024 5:15 am
Thank you! That's very kind of you to say!

As for modules... I am completely open. As someone who has no experience with any of the modules, I am perfectly willing to try any of them. And while high level material is always fun (and rare!) to mess around with, I would never ask a GM to tackle more than they're comfortable with. *Puts DoMM on the bottom of the stack of books.*

What do you feel like running?
Jul 15, 2024 11:31 am
I am always keen to join a long play game. I am comfortable with any module as I have very little or no experience of any of them.
In saying very little experience, I did start the Curse of Strahd on Gamers once and we made it to the village Inn, and that was that.

I would very much enjoy a playing a character that will develop in both skill and emotions. Thus, I hope you are considering to have a prolonged session zero to develop on this?
Last edited July 15, 2024 11:42 am
Jul 15, 2024 3:09 pm
DragonDweller62. So, what's current thoughts for playing module?
Jul 16, 2024 3:31 am
MaJunior says:
And while high level material is always fun (and rare!) to mess around with, I would never ask a GM to tackle more than they're comfortable with. *Puts DoMM on the bottom of the stack of books.*

What do you feel like running?
I have had Curse of Strahd at the top of my list for a long time, and based on this discussion I can see myself opening a recruitment thread for it. What I really want out of a Strahd campaign is a chance to tell a mature (for D&D) and nuanced fantasy-horror epic that examines the line between good and evil and the point at which that line is crossed. Of course, that includes a lot of character development as we witness their highs and lows in a bleak and weary world. I have entertained some thoughts of the new Vecna module as a sequel (which conveniently starts at 10th-level and ends at 20th), but that remains to be seen.

Funny that you bring up DoMM, because I have been thinking of running the full Waterdeep duology, both Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Seeing how much interest there is in 5e modules, that might be something to consider for the future.
Last edited July 16, 2024 3:31 am
Jul 16, 2024 4:24 am
I'm fairly sure that I attempted multiple shots for "Curse of Strahd" and every single one have quickly ended shortly beginning of dreadful it. So, that could be entertaining.
Jul 16, 2024 6:29 am
I have never played DoMM, nor have I read any further than the introduction and I have owned the adventure for several years. From what I have read and heard about it, makes it a treasure you only want to unwrap when you are set to play.

By the looks of it DragonDweller you have a lot of interest, and I hope to catch your recruiting thread in time to get a spot.
Jul 16, 2024 7:22 am
GeneCortess says:
I'm fairly sure that I attempted multiple shots for "Curse of Strahd" and every single one have quickly ended shortly beginning of dreadful it. So, that could be entertaining.
The Curse of the Curse of Strahd. Game seems impossible to get in beyong Session Zero yes :)

But I would surely love another try to break the curse.
Jul 16, 2024 12:44 pm
I sympathize with this: I have more modules than I may ever run. I am interested in Out of the Abyss and Ghosts of Saltmarsh as two of the few adventures that I don’t own and haven’t played. I haven’t played Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage, though I’m eager to do so someday: heists have a great old-school appeal and I recently read a bit of DoMM at the library for inspiration for a 12th-level game I’m running. Curse of Strahd holds a special place in my heart: it was the first real-time game I played online, via Skype, with strangers years ago. Each of the people I played with remain my friends to this day, though we only played a few sessions together. It was wonderful role-playing; we all had a great time and even shared game artwork with one another. Sadly, the DM started to lose her hearing as the game began, and she cancelled the campaign a few sessions in when her hearing got so bad she felt she couldn’t run the game without more of us learning ASL (though even with that, I think she would have bowed out, as the trauma she was experiencing in the face of such a big life change was understandably overwhelming). Curse of Strahd is both bittersweet nostalgia for good times past, and an ambition to play again and finish someday.
Jul 16, 2024 1:26 pm
For what it's worth as one man's opinion, both Curse of Strahd into Vecna and Dungron Heist into DoMM sound amazing. They'll also be lengthy commitments (especially via PbP) that -- barring something like losing my phone in a body of water while on vacation again -- I'm absolutely here for.

Suffice to say, you have enough interest you could probably fill both. 🤣
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.