[Open] Metro:Otherscape in Tokyo

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Open:Otherscape PBTAPrivate5 / daydariendarksun85
In the mountains there’s a place where no one goes. The Kuroi Yogore ("black stain"), the source of the nanoplague, the place where it all began. All manner of strange death awaits those who enter that land, and in the ruined facility itself, even worse things lurk – spirits of disease and vengeance, or so they say.
But there’s also great treasure to be found there. Data caches and forbidden tech, which corps will kill for. Containers of the original nano gel, maybe even clean and ready to be programmed! And the disease spirit themselves, could this Source be harnessed somehow?
In the mountains there’s a place where no one goes.
It’s time to go there.

Jul 18, 2024 12:38 pm
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying Metro:Otherscape here (from the creators of City of Mist).

https://i.kickstarter.com/assets/036/777/957/d8b237e8c383ed4da5ed94f6ab07ecbb_original.jpg?fit=scale-down&origin=ugc&q=92&width=680&sig=%2BjJrkRoTS3G9SZDbsBFYH0GmWXfeLe4onetKlHDSME8%3D

The Game System and Rules Version.
Metro:Otherscape, it's a PBTA (Powered by the Apocalypse) with a TAG system.
Setting -> Tokyo:Otherscape
I participated in the kickstarter and own the manuals, follow the link if you want to give a look.
I will kindly ask participants to avoid too narrow slangs that a non-native English speaker like me might have difficulty translating to avoid misinterpretation of posts.

The Pitch.
I'll use the pre-made "The Kenko Ruins" adventure (unless we agree on something else):
In the mountains there’s a place where no one goes. The Kuroi Yogore ("black stain"), the source of the nanoplague, the place where it all began. All manner of strange death awaits those who enter that land, and in the ruined facility itself, even worse things lurk – spirits of disease and vengeance, or so they say.
But there’s also great treasure to be found there. Data caches and forbidden tech, which corps will kill for. Containers of the original nano gel, maybe even clean and ready to be programmed! And the disease spirit themselves, could this Source be harnessed somehow?
In the mountains there’s a place where no one goes.
It’s time to go there.

Player Experience Requirements.
Since this system is more complex than a ‘simple PBTA’, I ask that participants are already familiar with the genre of PBTA role-playing games or even better, City of Mist. Otherwise, any experience with narrative role-playing games is fine, in which case I suggest taking a look at how PBTA, this game or City of Mist works before getting into the swing of things.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes.
The setting is cyber-magic-punk so by default involves strong themes such as social inequality, transhumanism, violence, drugs, gangs and whatever. However, I invite each player to point out to me their ‘X cards’ or themes they prefer to avoid in the game.

Character Restrictions.
I raccomend Tokyo:Otherscape character tropes and the use of Rapid Character Creation method, are very evocative and would help to imagine the common setting.
However no problem if a player wants to create his character from scratch, in which case I only ask to be in line with the setting.

Game Duration and Post Frequency.
The adventure will be short, just to try the game, it unfolds in two acts among 5-6 locations. Nothing forbids continuing it in the future by turning it into a short campaign.
I suggest a post rate of at least 1 post every 1-2 days, but we can come together to an agreement.
Please note I live in CET Time Zone so my responses to posts will be in relation to this time zone.
I am fairly new to this forum but have played a lot of play-by-post in the past.

Specialized Software and Resources.
I'll use Google Drive to share some documents when needed (i.e. setting explanation, character creation...).
I'll try my best to create a Character Sheet template here and to keep track of things in the GM posts (like status etc).

How to Apply.
To apply simply reply here and please tell me your experience with similar games and any problems or needs regarding posting frequency or other topics.
The ideal number of players is 3-4 besides me.

Welcome Marginalized Groups.
Absolutely, the setting itself embraces every marginalised group, so I support that in the game as well as in real life. In this dystopian-cyber-magic-punk world, it would be great to express diversity and uniqueness.
Last edited August 6, 2024 8:11 am
Jul 18, 2024 2:04 pm
I don't know this gamr as such. But magic and cyber punk is fun and I know pbta quite well. I am interested. Posting daily works for me (EU time)
Last edited July 18, 2024 2:05 pm
Jul 19, 2024 9:03 pm
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring. I've been interested in Tokyo: Otherscape for a while, but I missed the kickstarter so I've been patiently waiting for November to get my hands on it.

Let's see, in terms of my experience with narrative games, I've played a lot of PbtA stuff. Mostly Masks, admittedly (I'm a sucker for superhero stuff), but I GM'd a full Scum & Villainy campaign as well. I have some exposure to City of Mist, but most of the games I tried to get fell apart before they could get more than a session. I've played a ton of Fate though, and I feel like a lot of those skills apply.

In terms of availability, well, I've tried daily a few times and it never seems to work out. I can comfortably do 4+ posts a week, but my weekends are just slammed.
Jul 23, 2024 7:00 am
I would like to try it but I have minimal experience with PBTA. I am down with anything scifi and/or cyberpunk.
Jul 23, 2024 10:23 pm
City of Mist seemed like it had a lot of interesting elements, but the concept didn't click with me. This, however, sounds fun. Supernatural, anime cyberpunk sounds like a great mashup. I am definitely interested.

I've played in and run a lot of PbtA one-shots and a few attempted campaigns that only got through a few sessions. I'm a big fan of Masks and Monster of the Week and have played them the most. I prefer to commit to a post frequency of 4-5 times/week, in case I have a busy weekend or something comes up unexpectedly.
Jul 24, 2024 9:18 pm
Ok perfect, I would say we got enough interest to open the game and start it! I'll do it soon and I'll open a thread to share somethings, like posting frequency, character template and so on!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.