OOC Chat

Jul 25, 2024 3:38 am
Here is where we can talk about anything unrelated to the game, or have discussions about the game that would break the flow of the in-character thread(s).
Jul 25, 2024 6:14 am
Thank you for the invite DragonDweller, really chaffed to have a go at CoS :)
Jul 25, 2024 7:07 am
Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to play this game with you all!
Jul 25, 2024 12:55 pm
Agreed, this will be fun! Thanks for letting me in on it!
Jul 25, 2024 1:56 pm
Greetings! Pleased to be part of the game and look forward to playing with you all!
Jul 25, 2024 7:27 pm
Welcome! Looking forward to our adventures!
Jul 26, 2024 2:38 am
Thank you for the invite and excited to check out this famous adventure with everyone!
Aug 3, 2024 7:11 pm
Just checking in to see if there is something more I could do to help facilitate the game
Aug 5, 2024 6:59 pm
Sorry, had a busy weekend. I will get back to reviewing your character and starting the game.
Aug 5, 2024 11:51 pm
All good RL will do that.
Aug 31, 2024 4:38 pm
I don't think Shorty has been on the site the past few weeks. Hopefully, she is living her best life and will return but I don't think we should pause the game waiting.
Aug 31, 2024 7:18 pm
Yeah, she seems MIA. I certainly hope all is well, but I wouldn't pump the brakes on the game.
Aug 31, 2024 10:11 pm
It does appear so, hopefully all is well and a return imminent.
Sep 2, 2024 4:54 am
Definitely not stopping the game. I haven't seen anything from her in the Absences thread, so I hope she's well and just got too busy for gaming. In any case we will continue.
Sep 3, 2024 9:42 pm
Sounds good, hopefully Shorty is doing OK.
Sep 4, 2024 4:43 am
Let’s hope so.
Sep 6, 2024 2:40 pm
@CherokeeWind Thanks for saving Amalthea from that particular instadeath. Sorry you had to use a turn on that. Need to be more thoughtful about how easy it is to kill off level one characters. (' O ' ;;)
Sep 6, 2024 6:24 pm
You're welcome! Best use of my turn as I see it! We're here to help each other and I think it bonds the group.

No kidding on how squishy we are! At this level a hardened stair stare could take us out! But I'm kicking myself about the light situation. Used to being a mage and being to cast it at will.
Sep 6, 2024 6:39 pm
Light will get better once we hit 2nd level.

As my IRL group says. "When you're first level, everything you run into is your level or higher."
Sep 7, 2024 1:22 am
I like the selfless play CherokeeWind, Taniwha has a lantern but he is a little selfish currently to think of it and young to think of others lol

It has been a while since I played a 1st character and totally forgot how mushy they are. Too much Baldurs Gate lately.
Sep 7, 2024 5:29 am
No joke about how squishy these characters are! I haven't run anything for low level PCs in a while so I completely forgot. On top of that, a lot (but not all) of the combats in Curse of Strahd are supposed to feel more "survival horror" than "heroic fantasy." This is a campaign where you're supposed to feel tense and out of your depth, for better or worse in a combat-forward system like D&D 5th. I'd really like to hear your opinions on this after the battle.

All that said, the lack of light isn't helping anyone's case (except the armor's). I want to be really strict here because the dark should be especially scary in a horror game, but that's sadly only making the PCs squishier.

I appreciate the character dynamics already coming out here (Drina's selflessness vs. Taniwha's selfishness), which is really important for the kind of game I want. Interested to see how this stuff develops.
Sep 10, 2024 1:06 am
Do I smell a TPK brewing? 🤣
Sep 10, 2024 3:49 am
Maybe, but it's still a non-zero chance for Taniwha to resist a dirty 20 attack roll. If he can do that, all he has to do is land one or two more hits. Then it's just a matter of stabilizing the dying party members. That's the real test, lol.

On the matter of stabilizing dying PCs, I want to use the popular house rule that they wake up with 1 hp instead of staying unconscious for 1d4 hours. Gets the PC into the action faster and they still have to be careful until they can heal somehow.
Sep 12, 2024 7:03 pm
How crazy lucky about Taniwha's nat 20!
Sep 12, 2024 8:10 pm
Ikr! Hopefully that was a statement made by the dice gods that this game should stick around longer!
Sep 12, 2024 11:25 pm
Oh my! I can't take the waiting! Is it going to be enough?
Sep 12, 2024 11:37 pm
Holding of breath
Sep 13, 2024 2:46 pm
DragonDweller62 says:
OOC:

I say stairs are difficult terrain in combat for realism. On anything but flat ground, one still has to be careful not to trip or loose their footing. That could be a deadly mistake in battle. Now that I think about it, the stairs can become normal terrain again since the real fighting is over.
The idea that someone would struggle to run up some stairs because someone else tried to punch them a few seconds prior feels rather extreme and not particularly realistic, IMO, but I'll make a mental note.
Sep 14, 2024 5:45 am
That's a good point, it probably wouldn't make sense in every context. Perhaps I should take difficult terrain on a case-by-case basis before making a generalization about all stairs. The stair issue didn't really come up in this fight, so the idea will need more workshopping. Thanks for the feedback.
Sep 14, 2024 5:51 pm
I'm sorry but just confirming you want us to stay in initiative?
Sep 14, 2024 10:10 pm
Yes, just until Abraham is conscious. Then the party can explore like normal.
Sep 15, 2024 12:57 am
Or I die. That'd work too.
Sep 15, 2024 1:00 am
Do you want to die? Are you not enjoying playing with us?
Sep 15, 2024 1:10 am
I know sarcasm doesn't translate the best when written down, but c'mon now. 😂

Whether I stabilize or die, one way or another the rest of you will be able to explore.
Sep 15, 2024 1:31 am
Your comment took me aback but it could be possible that the subject, the pace or interactions has made the experience less than optimal for you. Granted most when asked would politely decree their contentment so I don't know what I expected to accomplish except I don't know how to correct possible problems online without directly asking. If I can make adjustments to make the game more pleasurable then I will. So stop fooling around and save already so we can ALL get back to exploring.
Sep 15, 2024 3:57 am
Well, if MaJunior succeeds his save, Amalthea can heal him once her turn rolls around so he can wake up and we can go exploring. Just gonna put out there we probably need a short rest at least and to be extra careful if two more of those armors are on the second floor.
Sep 15, 2024 4:06 am
This is a good time to remind everyone that if any of you does have a genuine complaint about pace, difficulty, atmosphere, or anything else, feel free to bring it to our attention (or mine privately). I also didn't pick up on the sarcasm, but that might just be me lol.

On a similar topic, I just got a PM from a fan of the game who noticed the vacancy left by Shorty and wants to join. I'll also have to consider the waitlist, but what do we think about adding a new player at this point?
Sep 15, 2024 4:10 am
I always think a full party is best.
Sep 15, 2024 4:20 am
Mathfuric says:
I always think a full party is best.
Agreed, especially after what just happened. Thank you for the short time you played with us Shorty!

Also, maybe agreed sarcasm face? :P
Sep 15, 2024 4:53 am
Works for me. It's completely original :P .
Sep 15, 2024 5:54 am
Let's get back to a full party....tell them to bring a light! ;)
Sep 15, 2024 9:48 am
CherokeeWind says:
Let's get back to a full party....tell them to bring a light! ;)
lol
Sep 16, 2024 1:41 pm
I see no reason not to.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.