Fate Core character sheet problems

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 28, 2015 2:04 am
The Stunts are erased after saving except for 2, and the Notes become smashed together in one text block. There may be other issues as well.
Feb 28, 2015 2:09 am
there's a thread a couple below dealing with the fate core sheets as well if any of those issues you see are still coming up with the sheet :)
Feb 28, 2015 8:38 am
Its frustrating, because I can't replicate that Fate bug. I've updated the code a few times to try to address it, but as I'm not sure what's causing it, its hard to fix :-/
Feb 28, 2015 8:45 am
Heisenbugs are the worst
Mar 7, 2015 4:30 am
Im still getting errors and problems when adding just about anything to the Fate Core character sheet. The only thing I haven't had any problems with is with Adding Skills.

At the moment, the character sheet is more or less unuseable.
Mar 7, 2015 6:21 am
Oh man, I gotta resort it. I can't get it to be buggy, so I'm not really sure what to do to fix it. I may have to just generate new logic to drive it...
Mar 7, 2015 5:55 pm
dunderklumpen:

I wanna make sure I understand: Adding aspects, adding stunts don't work, but adding skills does? The main reason this is confusing me is that they run off the same code. If skills is working for you, I'm not sure why the other two aren't.

Can you reclarify the issue you're facing? When you add multiple aspects or stunts, some just don't appear?
Mar 7, 2015 10:34 pm
I'll have to go through each thing on the character sheet and test it and give you the specifics. I was trying to write the detail on existing character rather than test the sheet, so I didnt keep specifics about what was happening.

Aspects and stunts can be detailed and can be a couple of sentences in length. They also contain punctuation - commas, full stops, quotes, question marks. Typically skills don't - that could be a cause of errors.

1. there might be a problem with "special characters" especially if they intersect with sql.
2. there might be a problem with field length for storage.
Mar 7, 2015 11:29 pm
Anything you noticed with an existing sheet is fine. I'm doing my best to figure out exactly where you're facing trouble so I can fix it.

Character details are actually stored in Mongo, so character issues should be minimal. Length is also not a concern for this reason.
Mar 7, 2015 11:35 pm
First reproduction:

try to add a second stunt to the character. Text being inserted was:
Quote:
Because I’m always working on some scam or other, I can declare to have a useful item or piece of information related to student or school life. However, doing so creates an aspect: The gig is up Akagi!. I cannot use this stunt again until this aspect has been removed.
Saving the character resulted in error
Quote:
Fatal error: in /var/www/gamersplane/includes/characters/Character.class.php on line 146
( ! ) MongoException: in /var/www/gamersplane/includes/characters/Character.class.php on line 146
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.0001 256952 {main}( ) ../dispatch.php:0
2 0.0043 365208 require( '/var/www/gamersplane/characters/process/editCharacter.php' ) ../dispatch.php:69
3 0.0049 421024 fateCharacter->save( ) ../editCharacter.php:12
4 0.0104 423480 Character->save( ) ../fateCharacter.class.php:244
5 0.0105 429368 update ( ) ../Character.class.php:146
Mar 8, 2015 8:52 am
I've fixed the bug, though not exactly in the way I'd like. The string you put in has a non-UTF-8 quote, and I added a straight UTF-8 conversion. Unfortunately, this makes the quote appear strange, and I need to figure out how to swap it for a UTF-8 quote instead.
Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am
I think Straight UTF-8 conversion is the way to go to. People can fix the problem with an edit if they end up with strange characters.

The only other real solution is to warn people and throw them back to the edit screen, but that seems less friendly.

The weird thing is that this was copied from a GamersPlane Forum post. Ie, I had the stunt for the character in a forum post and I copied it from the forum post to the character.

That suggests to me that there is some difference between how the forum posts save text and the characters save text.
Last edited March 10, 2015 12:29 am
Mar 10, 2015 1:18 am
Yup, there is. I started the site out with MySQL, which I'm guessing has different UTF-8 conversion protocols, specially through PDO (which is the library I'm using for PHP/MySQL). Characters on the other hand, are stored in MongoDB. I'm making a shift of moving block data to Mongo (and maybe all of it at some point). Characters, due to the nature of a character sheet, are a natural fit for Mongo.

Has it helped make the Fate character sheet more usable?
Mar 10, 2015 3:26 am
Will give it a run through tonight and let you know.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.