Library characters and people in your game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 3, 2015 6:27 pm
I realized a week or two back that this feature is incomplete, and seems to be causing hassles now that the site is getting activity.

Currently, when you add a character to the library, its visible to anyone who isn't in the same game that character is in. I did this originally because in the last iteration of the site, it was brought to my attention that you may not always want people in the same game as you to see your character, and when I added the library functionality, I extended that concern to it.

I intend on adding more diverse sharing functionality (sharing with specific other users, allowing other users to edit your sheets, specifying blocks), but until then, should I

1) Keep as is, meaning if a char is in the library and in the same game as you, you can't see it.
2) Change it so if its in the character library, anyone can see it.
Mar 3, 2015 6:58 pm
I say just make it viewable by all. I also feel that you should be able to see your own characters. It seems like a constant source of confusion that things you add do not appear. I added a character way back and at first thought it didn't work.
Mar 3, 2015 8:09 pm
I think if it's in the library then it should be viewable to all.
Mar 4, 2015 4:01 am
make them all viewable, but perhaps have an option to link them to certain games // only let gm of said game see them perhaps. idk how doable that is
Mar 4, 2015 4:42 am
Exp, that's basically how it works right now... only the GM of a library char can be see chars in that game right now. The question is if it shouldn't work that way.
Mar 4, 2015 5:15 am
i meant that a player should be able to make it optional.. so other players in the game can't see certain things on a character sheet perhaps, but the GM and everyone else can.

so, if i look at your character sheet and see you have 200gold, i don't just decide i want to rummage through your things and take it ;)
Mar 4, 2015 5:55 am
Ah, you mean make PARTS of the character sheet visible? Its doable, though complicated and I have NO idea how that'd look visually...
Mar 4, 2015 2:08 pm
Name: Micky McMysterious
Class: [REDACTED]
Height: 1.7m
Weight: [REDACTED]
Mar 4, 2015 2:18 pm
How it would display is fine, how you'd control what's hidden/shown is another thing.
Mar 4, 2015 6:04 pm
Sounds needlessly complicated, I figure if you put it in the library you take the chance someone looks at it and uses the out of character knowledge.
Mar 4, 2015 6:08 pm
Azzorak says:
Sounds needlessly complicated, I figure if you put it in the library you take the chance someone looks at it and uses the out of character knowledge.
+1
Mar 4, 2015 8:30 pm
Keleth says:

I realized a week or two back that this feature is incomplete, and seems to be causing hassles now that the site is getting activity.

Currently, when you add a character to the library...

1) Keep as is, meaning if a char is in the library and in the same game as you, you can't see it.
2) Change it so if its in the character library, anyone can see it.
Definitely #2. And make sure that the person who posted the character up to the Library can see it. :)
Mar 4, 2015 10:02 pm
My vote is for #2. I'm all for transparency at the table.
Mar 4, 2015 11:57 pm
I'm not quite sure if this a bug or stupidity on my part.

I have two characters, both assigned to games. In the "Characters" Section of "My Characters" they both show up and the Library toggle is red and says "Remove from Library", but I can't see any other indication that they are in the Library.

If I go to the character library neither of them show up. Can I only see other's characters, or is something screwy?
Mar 4, 2015 11:58 pm
I can see both of your characters, dunderklumpen. I can't see any of my characters that I have in there either.
Mar 5, 2015 12:02 am
When this is implemented I'm going to put a note in each of my characters' writeups that says something along the lines of:
"Is actually working for the bad guys and has been hired to kill off each of the other PCs once they befriend me", just so I can see who is and isn't peeking at my sheet. :-)
Mar 5, 2015 4:02 am
szemely says:
When this is implemented I'm going to put a note in each of my characters' writeups that says something along the lines of:
"Is actually working for the bad guys and has been hired to kill off each of the other PCs once they befriend me", just so I can see who is and isn't peeking at my sheet. :-)
+1 :p

You do not have permission to post in this thread.