New Humble offer

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 2, 2016 7:04 pm
Thanks for notifying!
Nov 3, 2016 1:24 am
I saw that in my email today... totally jumping on that one. Really interested in the Chronicle info on SoIaF, and heard neat things about Laundry.
Nov 3, 2016 1:34 am
Man... If only I had $15 to spare
Nov 3, 2016 2:53 am
oo! thanks!

many new systems to read!
Nov 3, 2016 3:57 am
Yup. I backed. I even have the GoT corebook, but worth having again.
Nov 3, 2016 4:45 am
Haven't tried those games, so I have no idea if they are worth it...
Nov 3, 2016 6:36 am
The GoT game is interesting. I ran a campaign of it a few years ago. The rules are set up so that physical combat and social combat are almost identical, with different stats and skills used between them. The combat is such that, when hit, you voluntarily suffer injuries and wounds to reduce damage, because you do not have "health." Injuries reduce damage by a certain amount, and impose minor penalties on all roles until they're healed, whereas suffering a wound ignores all of the damage, but gives you a big penalty on all of your rolls until treated. One of your stats, endurance, determines how many wounds you can suffer before you die. The way that natural healing is done, if you don't have someone competent tending to your wounds, just because you survived the fight doesn't mean that you're going to live, and you may die days or weeks later. I think my favorite part of it is the house creation rules. My players were able to make a believable Game of Thrones House pretty easily, and those can convert to other systems, if you find nothing else that you like.

I think the game is unfortunately somewhat unbalanced. There are abilities that shamelessly outclass others. There are some other issues that I have with it, as from what I remember, if someone is losing a social encounter, they can just stop talking and leave without facing repercussions (unless those repercussions are story driven or forced by the GM), effectively resetting the encounter. But the game that I ran with it was a TON of fun for us, so I can't really complain that much. And I do wish they'd make a new version with some of these problems fixed and some more abilities and balanced versions of the old ones.

The nights watch supplement was really neat, and I think I might prefer it to the core game. instead of making your own house you reopen one of the closed castles on the wall. It also has some non-canon white walkers to make the lands beyond the wall even more terrifying.
Nov 3, 2016 12:49 pm
Yoink! Now to read up on the Dresden Files RPG...that's been on my list for a while now.
Nov 3, 2016 5:02 pm
Thanks!!
Nov 17, 2016 7:44 am
Didn't see this thread before and had posted about this deal on the Pen & Paper games subforum. I've been reading the Atomic Robo RPG. Seems really fun. I'd love to give that one a try when time allows

You do not have permission to post in this thread.