Chapter One: Greenest in Flames!

Nov 14, 2016 6:56 pm
For the past several days, you have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields. Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away. But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark, winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town. Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Devin Elbrick, the caravan master, looks horrified at the sight, "Helm save us," he says quietly. The other caravan guards scramble into positions where they can watch the destruction taking place, some of them drawing weapons, just in case. They look around in confusion, apparently not sure if they should rush to help or turn tail and run.
Nov 14, 2016 7:23 pm
Shoulders twitch as Persus instinctively flexes muscles that aren't there. A step forward, then two more and his axe is in his hand. "There won't be a town in a few minutes, caravan master. We need to move."
Nov 14, 2016 7:35 pm
Devin looks at Perses in astonishment, "You want me to deliver my livelihood into that mess? No thank you! Perhaps a few of you could go and see what can be done to assist?"
Nov 14, 2016 7:54 pm
Oridun unlimbers his shield and axe, swinging the later through a few strokes to loosen his arm. "A fine suggestion. I haven't been within spitting distance of a dragon in decades. Come on Bughu. What say you lads? Shall we see what can be done for the folk of Greenest?" He passes his gaze over his fellow travelers and caravan guards during the last.
Nov 14, 2016 8:59 pm
Erich looks on in horror at the sight of the dragon over the town.

I would agree, caravan master. But my blood pulls me to face the dragon. I cannot suffer their presence. Erich says quietly. I'm with you Oridun. If I'm meant to end today, I may as well end in glory.

With his mind made up, he grips the warped oaken staff in his hand, feeling his magic roil just below the surface.
Nov 14, 2016 9:01 pm
The human un-shoulders and strings his longbow, wordlessly striding forward with the dwarf. Bughu said little during the caravan ride, aloof and distant with the merchants that employed him. He seemed much more open with the dwarf Oridun and others of a martial bent.

Ignoring the caravan master and those guards that elect to stay behind, Bughu apparently seems to think they'd offer little even if they were forced to go along. He nocks an arrow and heads towards Greenrest.
Nov 14, 2016 10:11 pm
To Erich: Tis early to speak so of endings boy. Aye, that's a dragon. But at least one god watches over us, and we as yet don't know what's afoot. Steal yourself, and check your purse for the coin you'll need to buy me a drink at the tavern after. Orudin winks.
Last edited November 14, 2016 10:14 pm
Nov 15, 2016 2:39 pm
Perses steps forward, a low prayer of thanks to the Platinum Dragon on his breath. "If we are at the end then we are, but first, let us rid the town of that vermin."
Nov 15, 2016 3:39 pm
You approach the town as quickly as you are able. As you get nearer, you can hear screaming and the occasional creak as a burning building shifts. You finally reach the town, and though it's night you have little trouble seeing, the fires in the town lending it enough light to see by (Dim Light)

Without warning, five humans dash out from between two buildings on your left. A limping man and three young children race across the street into more shadows, and a woman carrying a round shield and a broken spear turns and faces back in the direction from which they came. Eight kobolds stream out of the alley on the family’s heels and fan out around the woman, who looks determined to delay the creatures for as long as possible.
OOC:
A few things for those of you not familiar with my games.
1. I ALWAYS use side-based initiative. I do the rolling for you and then tell you which side goes first. It really speeds things up.
2. While you all do have to use the built-in roller, I do not. It takes too much time to type out the rolls for 12 different enemies.
3. I use a Google Drive based battle map. Each square is 5 feet, and you have edit permission, so you can move your 'token' when it's your turn.
4. When you try to take an action, please roll any dice that have even the potential to be useful (attack and damage), that way we don't have to wait for anyone to post again with new rolls and we can keep things moving.

Also, it's your turn, since you're coming up on their flank
Battle Map
Nov 15, 2016 4:10 pm
Roaring like a demon, Persus charges into the flank of the little humanoids with a flashing axe. A single lateral chop heads straight for the kobold in front of him.

Rolls

Attack: (K6) - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage: (Battleaxe) - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm
Perses rushes in and swings his axe, chopping through K6 with ease. Following through with his strike, he is able to push the attack through and chops down K7 as well.
OOC:
Figured I'd give you some sort of bonus for critting with the first attack of the game!
Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm
Erich smiles as the kobolds fan themselves out. Great for potshots. Let's see how they deal with the cold. He thinks to himself as he grips his staff and mutters a brief incantation. The crack of ice and the mists of cold start to coalesce as he thrusts his free hand forward, launching a crystalline blue beam straight ahead.

Edit
OOC:
Seeing as K7 got itself slain, I'll step up and launch the ray at K8 instead.
Last edited November 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Rolls

Spell Attack (Ray of Frost - K7) - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Ray of Frost (Damage + speed reduced 10 ft until my next turn on hit) - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Nov 15, 2016 4:28 pm
Erich's frosty attack hits K8 in the back, causing him to lurch forward a step from the impact, but he remains standing.
Nov 15, 2016 4:32 pm
As Bughu moves forward to the corner of a building, he shoulders his bow and draws his hand crossbow. These tight confines will make it difficult for a larger weapon, and the sheer number of opponents requires a barrage of shots. He aims for the middle of the thick group of kobolds to try and isolate them for easier pickings. With his free hand ready to load a second bolt, Bughu fires twice.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs K3, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Bonus Action, Hand Xbow vs K3 (or K2), Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Nov 15, 2016 4:47 pm
Bughu's arrival is announced by two quiet clicks and both of his targets fall, dead, to the ground.
OOC:
Man, it's a good Round 1 for you guys!
Nov 15, 2016 4:51 pm
Not one to question good fortune, the spear-wielding woman steps up to K1 and stabs him in the stomach. The kobold falls to the ground, his lifeblood spilling out. Once he is down, she steps back to her original spot to defend her fleeing family.
Nov 15, 2016 9:05 pm
OOC:
Hi all. Sorry for holding us up. I'm posting from work, and not able to access Google drive on my computer. I've checked the battle map on my mobile, but editing it is difficult. Will someone move me through the space between Perses and K8 so that I've moved four squares?
Bold move lass! Stand fast and we'll clear the town of these wee beasties!

Orudin brings his axe down on K8 in an attempt to put the kobold down for good.
Last edited November 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Damage roll - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 15, 2016 9:13 pm
OOC:
How badly is the limping man wounded?
Last edited November 15, 2016 9:14 pm
Nov 15, 2016 9:17 pm
OOC:
He doesn't look in danger of dying, but he is obviously in a lot of pain. Both his arm and leg are covered in blood.
Nov 15, 2016 9:25 pm
OOC:
End of my turn.
load next

Thread locked