Guidance -- An RPG Guide

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 8, 2015 12:58 am
So I've been thinking of things to put on the site - to work on, or that could help people out or be interesting to do.

I have an idea, Guides...for those who would be interested in be interested in using or helping create them.
Now, 'Guides' is vague and broad as a term, so I'll be a bit more specific: How To Guides. From creating characters in a specific system, making monsters, or creating an adventure even.

I think this could be something that could be wonderful if we had going here - a How To Guide - for those who have never played a system before and don't know where to begin, and don't want to have to go out and buy a book and be blown away with 300pages on stuff we don't need for basic character development in order to try out the system.

Gamers Plane has a TON of systems it's home to!! But not all of us know how to play or GM all of these varied systems.

What do you all think of this, would any of you be willing to write simple How To Guides for a system you enjoy?
-OR-
Would any of you use said Guides if they were available to use on Gamers Plane?
Mar 8, 2015 1:50 am
Best. Idea. Ever. Well, it's good anyway. Okay, it's alright. Meh.

Just kidding, I'm totally willing to contribute to such a project. I think that it would provide some great value added to the site, and the gaming community as a whole.
Mar 8, 2015 2:05 am
As someone who is just getting back into the hobby I know I would really benefit from something like this. As an example, I've been reading through the Mindjammer rules, and have been having a hell of a time wrapping my head around some of the core concepts (which are Fate Core concepts). Having something else to read to explain these concepts in a different manner would be most helpful.

Would also be neat for the guides to point out specific information on how to use the Gamers Plane functions to run certain systems, build characters, etc. I've seen wiki functionality mentioned before but I'm going to throw it out there again, as I think this would be a perfect way to handle the guides.
Mar 8, 2015 8:30 am
Wiki functionality is planned, but a decent ways off, short of me getting a huge surge of fiscal support and being able to quit my day job for a few months to work on GP and GP alone. Until then, planned but not here yet.

Something else I can add to the todo list is a guide functionality: basically a mini-wiki setup, through my own coding. Maybe in the end, rather then trying to setup something like a MediaWiki integrated into GP, I should just build my own mini-wiki setup. It wouldn't be as functional as a true wiki, but would do things like pages, linking, etc.
Mar 8, 2015 8:04 pm
Would probably be easier to set up guides closer to a blog or threads in a subforum specific forum for GUIDES i would think perhaps.
also there was this guy no twitter making a wiki i think. maybe i'll see if i can find him and pick his brain
Mar 8, 2015 9:58 pm
Not sure how well a blog would work, but a forum could do for now. Under General, or Game Discussions maybe?
Mar 8, 2015 11:35 pm
I think maybe it's own forum or section, like on the top bar between "Forums" and "The Gamers". You could put "Guides" and have it lead to a spot just for guides if you wanted. that may be a pain in the arse for you, but it'd keep it neat and out of the forums and in it's own space. -- though it could also be a sort of forum i suppose, unless they're read only guides (tho i expect they'd have spots for questions and comments)
Mar 8, 2015 11:39 pm
ExperienceLtd says:
I think maybe it's own forum or section, like on the top bar between "Forums" and "The Gamers". You could put "Guides" and have it lead to a spot just for guides if you wanted. that may be a pain in the arse for you, but it'd keep it neat and out of the forums and in it's own space. -- though it could also be a sort of forum i suppose, unless they're read only guides (tho i expect they'd have spots for questions and comments)
I like the idea of the guides having their own section, with a forum for each guide. You could have your read only guide thread pinned to the top of the forum; basically the main article that could be updated with Q&A based on questions from other threads within the forum.
Mar 8, 2015 11:49 pm
szemely says:
ExperienceLtd says:
I like the idea of the guides having their own section, with a forum for each guide. You could have your read only guide thread pinned to the top of the forum; basically the main article that could be updated with Q&A based on questions from other threads within the forum.
This, basically this, yes. I don't do code, seems simple to me, but everything seems simpler when you don't have to code it :D
Mar 9, 2015 12:03 am
ExperienceLtd says:
I don't do code, seems simple to me, but everything seems simpler when you don't have to code it :D
You sound like most of my customers. :-)

Customer: All I want is A, B, and C.
Személy: That'll take 160 hours.
Customer: But all I want is A, B, and C, and you already have 1, 2, and 3 which are kind of the same.
Személy: *contemplates life choices*
Mar 9, 2015 12:13 am
This is why i don't want to learn a coding language tyvm! ^_^ all set with that. lol.
Also why i work in a kitchen away from people.
Mar 9, 2015 12:34 am
I'm not sure a forum per guide is the way to go... a forum per category may be reasonable, and then a thread per guide.
Mar 9, 2015 4:44 am
subforum groups, not full forums, yes that, exactly that ^-^;
Mar 9, 2015 1:10 pm
Well, let's start with one and go from there. A guides-in-progress forum might help to start, where we can post works in progress for review and mutual editing.
Mar 9, 2015 2:54 pm
Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and create a new category for guides, with just one underneath for now. As guides come up, we can categorize them. I'm gonna add a "Guides" part of the site too, which'll make submitting, reviewing, and editing easier.
Mar 10, 2015 1:35 am
szemely says:
ExperienceLtd says:
I don't do code, seems simple to me, but everything seems simpler when you don't have to code it :D
You sound like most of my customers. :-)

Customer: All I want is A, B, and C.
Személy: That'll take 160 hours.
Customer: But all I want is A, B, and C, and you already have 1, 2, and 3 which are kind of the same.
Személy: *contemplates life choices*
Ditto. There are few customers who actually understand that, "Oh, it will take 160 hours," and just accept the fact. But they're the exception.
Keleth says:
Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and create a new category for guides, with just one underneath for now. As guides come up, we can categorize them. I'm gonna add a "Guides" part of the site too, which'll make submitting, reviewing, and editing easier.
Thanks. That'll definitely come in handy. There are lots of systems, but the bigger challenge can be "how do I run game X in PbP form?" It can be difficult to cross the streams successfully.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.