Closed due to lack of interest

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 16, 2016 8:15 pm
Lately I've noticed that in-game, my posts tend to be of the longer variety, so I'll try to avoid that here and go for succinct.

I've only been on GP since the summer, and, having become familiar with the site itself, I'm now looking to GM a game. While I don't have many of the latest CRB's for some of the games I grew up with, I'm interested in getting another expressly for GP, as my time on the weekend for gaming is already taken up by an excellent long running TT game of FFG Star Wars.

Some darker considerations, based on games I've enjoyed in the past, include Vampire and Shadowrun. At the same time, I'm leaning toward an investigative game that can provide mystery, intrigue, and suspense. In that regard, I already own Call of Cthulu (7th ed, not D20), which I'm considering as an option.

At the same time, I'm very interested in doing something new. And while I've never RP'd in the setting, I grew up on Warhammer 40k, having fully painted armies of Orks, Imperial and Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Eldar, and Imperial Guard by the time I started college and my gaming habits began to fall sharply. Since then, I've done a fair bit of reading in the WH40k setting as well. Given the above, I took a look at the WH40k RPG offerings.

After some research, I consider Only War and Deathwatch poor choices for PbP, and perhaps general RP, as they are more like combat games with elements of RP; anybody who has played 40k or read some of the novels knows that for the Imperial Guard and Space Marines, the action is very much the crux of the story. And, while Rogue Trader does interest me, it also reminds me of a darker Edge of the Empire in a different setting, which isn't necessarily bad, except I'm looking for something new. Black Crusade was intriguing, because being the "bad guys" is a ton of fun as well. At the same time, it didn't pique my interest nearly as much as the last game I'll mention, Dark Heresy 2nd Edition.

Anyone familiar with the WH40k universe, beyond some of the great video games which still don't come close to doing it justice, knows that there is nothing like it. The dark and gothic feel of a universe in the year 40,000, rife with constant, never-ending war and conflict. A desiccated God-Emperor, the hero of mankind, requires a thousand sacrifces a day to exist on life support. Technology is a religion. Worlds so industrialized and populated they are called hive worlds, where most never see the sky. Feral worlds. Xenos worlds. Daemons and Gods of chaos: Slaanesh - Lord of Excess, Khorne - The Blood God, Tzeentch - The Changer of Ways, Nurgle - Lord of Pestilence and Decay, all constantly striving to infiltrate, usurp, or destroy mankind, depending on their respective agendas. The entire universe always just a moment away from what is referred to as "eternal midnight."

In this game the players are members of a secret and elite group assembled by an inquisitor, an individual tasked with preserving the Imperium of Man and the power to order the destruction of worlds as a last resort in the fight against heresy and chaos. Clearly the players have an important role in the galaxy, and their duty to the Empire is to root out heresy and all who would oppose the will of the Emperor. There are a variety of tasks the group can engage in, one of the most intriguing and dangerous being sussing out the daemonic threat of chaos, which can present itself ever so stealthily among any part of the social order. Daemons essentially tempt the weak or power hungry, promising them great gifts in return for their service to chaos.

And this is where, for me, the appeal really comes into play, The players will be investigating and opposing all manner of threats to the Empire, very often striving to maintain secrecy as they do so, attempting to root out threats both from within and without, assuming they can first determine the its origins. A powerful and skilled servant of darkness can be hard to draw from the shadows.

Anyway, the game really has my interest. But, before I drop the $100 to pick it up, I wanted to gauge interest in the game because I would be picking it up for GP alone. Basically I'm looking for players who would be willing to commit to posting at least four times a week. As far as being new to Dark Heresy, I'm very familiar with the setting and have GM'd across multiple systems, so I don't expect any problems with learning the game, especially since its PbP.

So much for succinct. Anyone interested in a game?
Last edited November 19, 2016 6:12 pm
Nov 17, 2016 1:42 am
I'm really not at all familiar with Warhammer. How well-versed do you want your players to be? And will we need to own the books ourselves?
Nov 17, 2016 6:51 am
I'm familiar with the 40k universe (running a Warhammer FRPG myself) but probably don't have time to join you. Good luck with it!
Nov 17, 2016 3:33 pm
Nikcollini says:
I'm really not at all familiar with Warhammer. How well-versed do you want your players to be?
You don't need to be familiar or well-versed at all. It's why I wrote more than originally intended, to give players an idea of what the setting of the game was like. I'm happy to have newcomers to the game. For those of you who are interested, things to look forward to include, but aren't limited to:

A dark futuristic sci-fi setting that spans the galaxy. You'll travel to different worlds as an Acolyte for the Inquisition. Your character's background can be, from among other choices, a former soldier, police, assassin, cleric, tech-priest or criminal.

Being part of the Inquisition, exposing and defeating traitors to the Empire, among other threats, such such as Xenos (alien) infestations and cults.

On assignments from your Inquisitor, you'll be rooting out the greatest threat to the Empire, the insidious agents of the Chaos gods, who sometimes manifest as daemons (sometimes looking absolutely human, sometimes not so much. More often than not, these threats are highly secretive as well, corrupting society and the Empire from within. Your team may investigate and apprehend/execute NPC's ranging from industrial workers to planetary governors. The threat of chaos can manifest anywhere, and no one is beyond the suspicion or judgement of the Inquisition.
Nikcollini says:
And will we need to own the books ourselves?
If you own the core rule book that would be great, but it isn't necessary. I'll be able to provide references in the forum and useful links to material. Far more important is that players are committed to posting four times a week and interested in the game. Naturally, I expect real life to interfere on occasion, but the goal is that the players want to keep the game moving for the enjoyment of everyone involved.

Putting some links below to WH40k imagery, to give a feel for the setting.

The God Emperor of Mankind on his throne
Inquisitor in Power Armor
Female Inquisitor
A group of Acolytes and some other great images
Looking out on the surface of a Hiveworld
More WH40k Images
Last edited November 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Nov 17, 2016 3:51 pm
Well once I have a character and am fully setup, It shouldn't be a problem for me to post 4 times a week, I check everyday. If you get it going I think I'll probably sign up.
Nov 17, 2016 3:54 pm
Haven't touched my DH books in... ok, I was looking through them last night, but that was boredom not a game.
i'd likely be interested.
Nov 17, 2016 6:17 pm
Glad to hear there's interest. I like a lot of RPG's but am, like I said, looking to explore a new setting. I'm really looking forward to putting some of those great plot twists in the game, especially since it lends itself to them with the investigative prosecution of heresy and disguised agents of chaos being a big part of what the characters are up to.

If I haven't mentioned it before, anyone interested in mysteries and investigations should enjoy Dark Heresy as well. A basic example of how some of your adventures would begin, summarized by your Inquisitor:

"On the planet Verghast, in the hive city of Verunhive, there have been bombings this past week. Two of them, at cathedrals in the Hass West district, to be precise. A telling feature of these events is that the same tech priest was seen at both locations, according to accounts given by Arbites' witness reports. Furthermore, the suspect seems to have disappeared, unavailable for questioning and no longer reporting for his duties to the Machine God. We also have a witness available for inquiry, a sanitation worker left for dead, gunned down alone in a side ally by this tech priest as he fled the scene of the most recent bombing. Fortunately, he survived the incident and came to consciousness as of yesterday. I strongly urge you to begin your investigation with him as he may recall more useful details as his condition improves.

Given the religious nature of the attacks, it seems likely that the taint of chaos may have taken root, driving a black tendril into Verunhive. Let us hope it is nothing more, and tear out this root before it grows, flourishing into a tree of darkness, its twisted, vile limbs too numerous to count. That is all. As of now, your brief respite is over. If there are no questions, you will proceed to Verunhive at once."

Something like that. Again, trying to give those of you who are unfamiliar with the Dark Heresy and WH40k setting something to go off of.
Last edited November 17, 2016 6:19 pm
Nov 17, 2016 8:16 pm
Pretty sure I have both Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy.. but uncertain, so I went to my gaming closet... nope. Just Rogue Trader. Anyway -- I'm familiarish with the canon (read some books, played many of the video games) and think it could be an interesting setting for sure.

Given that you want to learn a new system I'll shy away from suggesting you could make a very dark Sith Empire FFG Star Wars campaign work (basically use FAD and set it back a thousand years or so). Or the same and you could use the WEG or the D20 Star Wars systems. Additionally, Cypher system - as a basic system - is worth poking around and understanding/using if you are interested in a new system (especially one that's very flexible). Gods of the Fall can be very dark as a setting, as can Numenera. Cypher could probably also be tweaked into the WH:40K universe.

Just some thoughts. :)
Nov 17, 2016 8:24 pm
...and were you thinking 1E or 2E? (the internets seem split on which is the superior system -- 1E appears to be 'easier' while 2E appears to be more flexible)
Last edited November 17, 2016 8:24 pm
Nov 17, 2016 11:46 pm
2nd Edition, in case I ever want to integrate some aspects of Only War and Deathwatch.

And I definitely have considered running a very dark Sith FFG Star Wars game. Have even written up notes in a word document, setting ideas, etc. I'd set it around Empire Strikes back actually, have the players as part of a secret new Sith Order, developed outside of the Emperor and Vader's knowledge, tasked with overthrowing the Emperor and recruiting/turning force sensitives to the dark side. I've also considered having a group of players, EotE and F&D based, put together by the Empire to make moves against all those who oppose it. Might still do so, except there is only so much time in a day.

I've also considered using the FFG SW dice system for a completely different setting, just because it is such a great system.
Nov 18, 2016 3:26 am
I am actually working on a similar sort of idea, moving over the system of FFG SW to another setting. I am really enjoying the FFG SW system.
Nov 19, 2016 6:13 pm
Due to lack of interest, I've decided to simply run a FFG Star Wars campaign for those of you who've always wanted to play the 'bad guys.'

You do not have permission to post in this thread.